The new update.

swellow99

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally am excited for the new dashboard (I will be getting a/the Kinect).

As far as "alot of stuff coming out that week, an update might screw everything up" the update has to happen for that reason in partial. M$ should also be giving us a updated voice codec, Netflix seacrh and obviously Kinect geared drivers and what not.

Im glad personally because a lot of new video games are coming out during this week and I was worried that the update might screw things up. I mean in theory the point of the beta is to make sure things go smooth, but a major change still worries me in terms of if it will or will not cause issues.

This is a good point, updates are known to brick certain consoles. I don't think that's been an issue with the last few updates though. Besides that, having seen the new dash through the powers of Youtube, I'm looking forward to it.

Well the problem that bugs me about change sometimes is when its done for no real reason. Look at the xbox.com redesign. Was there any real flaw with the old website? Change just for the sake of change, especially when it doesnt actually improve anything is frustrating IMO. Extra frustrating when the new thing feels inferior, like every windows that has come after XP IMO.

Microsoft (or any company) doesn't just sit on their hands when things work, they're constantly updating things as their goals change. Whether or not us individuals think the change was for the better or for the worse, obviously Microsoft thought it was for the better or they would not have done it.

But why would they think that? Microsoft has been changing quite dramatically since they decided they wanted to try and steal some of the casual audience away from Nintendo, ie since they announced Kinect. Kinect has a particular image attached to it, so they're making the necessary changes so that what we've got fits that image. The changes: we've gotten a new "family center" feature, they've rebranded Silver to Free, they've redesigned the dash to fit their Kinect model which implies a site redesign as well (they changed the site when NXE came out), hell they've even altered the game covers ever so slightly with the new wave logos. Basically I'm saying that although it may not be evident to you, Microsoft hasn't made any of these changes "for no reason".

PS: Either you're crazy or you've not used Windows 7. It basically took everything broken from Vista and fixed it. Definitely an improvement over XP.

I doubt its today. Microsoft likes to keep it on a strict date. So it should be seen some time in November.

And for all the Hulu people. You do realize it will only be Hulu PLUS not the computer website basic, so expect a fee. I believe its 9.99/month

Info from Major Nelson,

We are happy to announce that Hulu will be coming to Xbox LIVE as part of their Hulu Plus experience. In the announcement today, Hulu announced a preview of their Plus service, along with a series of partners of which Xbox LIVE is one of them. We’re working hard on creating customized experience for Xbox LIVE members, which means that Hulu Plus will be coming to Xbox 360 in early 2011. We are taking the time to ensure that the Hulu Plus experience for Xbox 360 is the best on TV and like our other entertainment experiences it will not be a port, but rather a custom experience that leverages the Xbox LIVE community features.

Hulu Plus will be available for US Xbox LIVE Gold Members only.

What's so surprising there? I knew there was going to be a fee.

You pay Hulu PLUS even if you are using PC ONLY. You pay to get access to more shows than their basic FREE website features. Season passes will allow you to access FULL seasons of current shows while the basic site only maintains the most current 5 weeks of episodes. That is what HULU PLUS on PC does for you.

Got an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and all that is available to you thru your TV. It's a bit like NetFLIX in terms of what you pay.

The fee isn't exclusive to Xbox. I suppose having Xbox LIVE Gold can be considered a fee.

Edited by gamerguy69

What's so surprising there? I knew there was going to be a fee.

You pay Hulu PLUS even if you are using PC ONLY. You pay to get access to more shows than their basic FREE website features. Season passes will allow you to access FULL seasons of current shows while the basic site only maintains the most current 5 weeks of episodes. That is what HULU PLUS on PC does for you.

Got an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and all that is available to you thru your TV. It's a bit like NetFLIX in terms of what you pay.

The fee isn't exclusive to Xbox. I suppose having Xbox LIVE Gold can be considered a fee.

I don't care for the free or paid version of Hulu since I download all my TV shows in HD and play them off my TV. I was just stating it so people would understand that Hulu coming to the Xbox 360 wasn't going to be free like some might of thought. And most newer TV's come with Hulu Plus built in with other features, and no extra fee like Xbox Live Gold.

November 4th for the USA while other regions have to wait according to this link. http://www.vgreleases.com/xbox360/ReleaseDate-814038.aspx

That is the Kinect Release Date not the update it would be stupid of Microsoft to roll out the update to different regions at different times since once again it would be preventing party chat for someone in the UK wanting to play with someone in the US or Vice Versa! Never seen an update not go LIVE everywhere at once.

That is the Kinect Release Date not the update it would be stupid of Microsoft to roll out the update to different regions at different times since once again it would be preventing party chat for someone in the UK wanting to play with someone in the US or Vice Versa! Never seen an update not go LIVE everywhere at once.

Yeah. The update needs to be in place by November 4th when Kinect is released. That's why I'm saying it will be on November 2nd.

If you look back, you will notice that ALL major Xbox dashboard upgrades have been done on a Tuesday morning -- going back to the implementation of the NXE in 2008.

I was hoping it was released today... I want to get back into party chat with Fallout soaking up all my time.

After using the beta dashboard for a long time now I've pretty much gotten used to it. I like the new home, I'm okay with the change in avatars, I love the new browse functions, they're an amazing improvement.

In fact the only thing I have hated since launch and still hate right now is the new guide...

I mean... really? That's the best they can come up with... it's so bland and blocky, it looks terrible in comparison to how shiny the rest of the dashboard now is. We went from nice colour scheme and rounded edges to a block of blandness...

Well that's my biggest gripe out of the way.

Now it just needs to hurry up!

Is the update the reason xbox.com has been down for the last couple of days?

Also, I'm not looking forward to the update. I'm sure MS's motivation for this is to push more product in our faces, just like the NXE but moreso. I'm also willing to bet that something else is going to happen to screw up the Avatars as well, since a lot of people has spent so much money on Avatar gear, just like they bought wall papers that were made useless in the NXE update.

LOL @ people hating on the new dashboard, there is nothing wrong with it. *Shrugs*
My only beef with the new dashboard is how much more painfully bright white there is. Im hoping when one uses a bought them on it that gets toned down a bit. Other than that the dashboard changes look fine. Now the website is a whole different animal.

This video says 28th October.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOZYsj66uw]YouTube - Inside Gaming: New Vegas DLC, 360 Update, Blizzcon! - 10/23/10 (Video Game News) S06E68[/ame]

(Skip to 3:20 mark)

These guys have been FAIRLY realiable, but this was posted on Saturday and well, they're not Microsoft, so don't take this word as judgement.

My only beef with the new dashboard is how much more painfully bright white there is. Im hoping when one uses a bought them on it that gets toned down a bit. Other than that the dashboard changes look fine. Now the website is a whole different animal.
It makes it easier to read who's online and messages. It's hard on the eyes when you first start it up, but you get used to after awhile. Once your eyes settle.

There have been a long few recently too. Expect it's going to take a good 20 mins for everyone without the beta when it launches.

Had a week off from Uni to study and thought it was public release on the 26th but now my week off is coming to an end and it has still not been released yet :( Just want my chat back haha.