Just beat Bioshock - Jump to Infinite or grab Bioshock 2?

GoldenEagle29

I LOVED Bioshock and absolutely cannot wait to play Infinite. Thing is, would Bioshock 2 be worth a purchase? I know the stories don't connect from the first 2 to Infinite but I'm curious as to whether it makes more sense to play Bioshock 2 first? Is the game as good as Bioshock? I'm not totally about 100% completion so if a can't grab a few difficult achievements then that's fine. What I really want to know is if this is a can't miss game.

As with almost every game, follow the release order. With Infinite you won't miss story elements but you might (will) get a far more superior gaming experience which might make Bioshock 2 look like a lesser game. Which is not.

Buy and play Bioshock 2 first as it is a great addition to the first game's story, if you liked the first one you can't go wrong with this one. Not to mention the low price it has now.

I'd stick to the original order. I haven't played #1, but played #2 a while ago. After recently finishing Infinite, I've gone back to #2 to finish off some achievements, and while it's still a great game, it just doesn't quite stand up to Infinite (in my opinion anyway - plenty will tell you otherwise, I'm sure!).

And Infinite doesn't have any MP, so it's not like you have to rush to play it while the online community is plentiful.

Edited by Rossco7530
Added MP comment

It seems like you're ready to start Infinite! I don't think it matters what order you play them in. Get the one you want most first, playing games you're most excited for is always a better experience :) BioShock 2 is worth a purchase though, I honestly didn't like it as much as the first one, but I've been considering picking it back up to get some more achievements soon.

I would say just play whatever you want, Bioshock 2 doesn't directly follow on from the first anyway. Infinite is far and away a superior game than Bioshock 2 though. Which is saying something because BS2 is fricking amazing too.

Just enjoy the fact that you still have two incredible gaming experiences to enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

*POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING*

I would HIGHLY recommend playing bioshock 2. I'm a huge bioshock fan, and in the end of the 2nd game, it ties up a lot of loose ends. I'm not trying to give away too many spoilers, but it explains a lot of elements in the games. For instance, why the little sisters call the dead splicers angels. To me, it was really mind blowing.

• 4 weeks later...

Bioshock Infinite is more of a spiritual successor. Just as the original Bioshock was a spiritual successor to the PC series System Shock. That being said Bioshock 1 and 2 are direct sequels. It should be pointed out though that Bioshock 2 was not done by the same studio that did Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite. If you are a fan of the first game and like the setting and lore/history then you will get a lot out of Bioshock 2. There are many references to events in the first game. I personally enjoyed them both, and can't wait to get into the new Infinite dlc that takes place in Rapture.

• 4 weeks later...

I was asking myself the same question up to last week. I finally bought Bioshock 2 and started it 2 days ago. So far as good as the first one!! I encourage you to buy it it's at least a 9/10. I even tried some multiplayer yesterday and was surprised that I was able to find people in some lobbies :dance:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I would say just play whatever you want, Bioshock 2 doesn't directly follow on from the first anyway. Infinite is far and away a superior game than Bioshock 2 though. Which is saying something because BS2 is fricking amazing too.

Just enjoy the fact that you still have two incredible gaming experiences to enjoy!

Ain't this the truth.

• 2 months later...