How to duplicate power nodes/credits in chapter 1. No saving or DLC necessary.

monkeymischief

I recently decided I want to attempt a Hardcore run through Dead Space 2. I knew there were certain duplication exploits, but the only ones I knew of either required you to repeatedly save and quit (making them useless for Hardcore mode), or so time-consuming, that they really weren't worth the effort (the DLC Detonator mine trick).

However, I found this video on YouTube that shows you how to duplicate power nodes/credits at the end of chapter 1. I didn't see it posted here, so I thought I'd share it. Credit to Twerly222.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWll1ERd0SY]Dead Space 2 Chapter 1 Infinite PowerNode/Money Glitch Quicker Way to do it - YouTube[/ame]

In this video, Twerly222 refers to somebody else having made their own video showing off the trick first, but don't worry; you don't need to watch it, as he covers everything and makes the process faster.

It still takes a while, but it's *significantly* faster than the DLC Detonator mine trick. You can generate one power node or one stack of 1,000 credits every 15 seconds or so.

I spent about 3 hours today getting 261 power nodes (enough to upgrade absolutely everything in the game), and 300,000 credits. Sure, it's tedious, but do what I did, and stick some podcasts on or something. Also, it's quicker if you don't plan on upgrading every weapon/don't want as much cash. Also, if you do have any DLC weapon packs, the process for getting credits is shortened considerably, but I'll explain that a bit later.

Here are a few important notes if you do plan on doing this (watch the video first, so these will make sense):

1) Practice this trick on Casual first. Save before you do it, so you can reload if you make a mistake. There are a several steps to follow, which must be done *exactly* as you see in the video. If you do mess it up while playing Hardcore, the trick won't work, and you'll have to start the game over from the beginning. Considering how many cutscenes there are in chapter 1 (the intro alone is a good 10 minutes), you don't want this.

2) This trick only works with power nodes and credits. As soon as you pick up anything that goes into your inventory slots, the credit clip and power nodes will stop reappearing. Upon starting the game and taking control of Isaac, feel free to pick up items up until you reach the room with the balloons. From this moment on, do not pick anything up other than what you're duplicating, until you are satisfied with what you have, and are ready to move on. Unfortunately, this means you can't duplicate the Gold Semiconductor that the boss drops.

3) You can use this guide to determine how many power nodes you need to fully upgrade each weapon/your RIG/stasis:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/975303-dead-space-2/faqs/61778

4) After you've decided that you're finished, there's a store and bench in the next room after the crawlspace. After that, there's a hallway with a Necromorph playing dead on a moving floorway, and a save station. DON'T BE CAUGHT OFF-GUARD BY THIS NECROMORPH. KILL IT BEFORE IT KILLS YOU. If you die before saving, you'll have wasted a huge amount of time.

5) I recommend saving at the save station I mentioned above. Sure, it's very early in the game (chapter 2), but do you really want to take the risk of having to do the trick all over again? Look at it as having one less save point that normal, but in exchange for being able to fully upgrade everything you want, and having a ton of credits. Also, upgrade your weapons/RIG/stasis before saving, so you don't have to do it again if you die (it also makes dealing with the necromorph safer).

6) HAVING ANY OF THE WEAPON DLC PACKS MAKES THIS TRICK A LOT FASTER. Unfortunately, I only realised this immediately after spending nearly two hours duplicating credits (I do have some DLC), but there's a much quicker way of generating cash than duplicating the 1,000 credit clip. Instead, after you've duplicated enough power nodes to fully upgrade everything you need, continue duplicating more, being aware that you'll be losing these ones. Once you progress through the crawlspace, you can buy DLC weapons (they cost nothing), fully upgrade them, and then sell them. You can't sell power nodes directly, but you get 5000 credits for each power node attached to the weapon.

As an example, a fully upgraded DLC plasma cutter requires 18 power nodes, and sells for 90,000 credits. So instead of having to duplicate the 1,000 credit clip 90 times, you only have to duplicate a power node 18 times. You can keep rebuying, upgrading, and selling the DLC weapons so long as you have enough power nodes, so make sure you have enough power nodes ready when you go through the crawlspace.

Just don't forget to also bring enough power nodes you'll need for upgrading your RIG/stasis/weapons you plan on keeping.

Edited by monkeymischief

So he says not to pick anything up, does that mean at all, or just as soon as you enter that one area with the balloons?

"Upon starting the game and taking control of Isaac, feel free to pick up items up until you reach the room with the balloons. From this moment on, do not pick anything up other than what you're duplicating, until you are satisfied with what you have, and are ready to move on. Unfortunately, this means you can't duplicate the Gold Semiconductor that the boss drops."

Just to clarify: you start a new game with the intention of doing this trick. You can pick items up until you reach the room with the balloons, as seen in the video (and I'm not referring to one of the times you revisit this room; I mean the very first time you reach it). You do not pick *anything* up from this point on, other than what is shown in the video. Using kinesis to move stuff about is fine, but do not actually collect anything.

I may make my own video that touches on a few more details not clarified/covered, when I have some time, as I'm considering redoing this exploit and utilising the DLC weapon trick so I'll have a lot more credits. 200 power nodes gets you a million credits, which is more than enough to constantly buy large med packs/ammo/stasis packs whenever necessary.

I decided to simply use the save I already have, rather than do the exploit all over again to utilise the weapon upgrade trick. 300,000 credits seems to be more than enough to carry you through the rest of the game (considering I don't have to spend any of it on power nodes, as everything is maxed out).

I just used my second save at the beginning of chapter 10, and I currently have 427,000 credits, so even with all the med packs and ammo I'm buying, I'm still accumulating credits faster than I'm spending them.

Being completely maxed out, and having the cash to buy really makes a huge difference (so far, at least). Other than a couple of rooms in which I got a bit careless, I've had no real problems. My health has only gone into the red once, but that was because I tried to rush through a particularly dangerous Stalker room in Chapter 9, instead of taking it slow. Also, whenever my health went into yellow, I'd always heal immediately, as I always have at least three med packs on me at any given time. So far I've been using the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Ripper, and Detonator, and not once have I ran out of ammo for any of them.

In a way, I wish I hadn't saved immediately after the exploit, as since I haven't died/restarted at all, it was technically a waste of a save point. But then, hindsight is 20/20, and although nothing has given me too much trouble, all it takes is one simple mistake, be it a particularly troublesome boss, failing a QTE or a segment where a large necromorph is holding onto you, and you have to shoot it's weak spot in time before it kills you.

To others who plan on using this exploit, it may be worth considering ploughing right through to chapter 7 (the disc swap gives you a free checkpoint), but only if you're absolutely positive you can handle everything before then on your first attempt, including all the things that can kill you instantly. You really don't want to spend another couple of hours duplicating stuff all over again.

Oh, and I also recommend using this video guide:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB12E46F401B965BE&feature=plcp

The guy who recorded/narrates it does ramble sometimes, but he really knows his stuff, and he has excellent advice regarding what weapons to use where, and what strategies work best in each area. Also, he gets through the game pretty quickly, so if you copy what he does, you can reduce any potential aggravation upon dying and having to retry. You should have an even easier time of it than him, as you'll have more upgrades, health, and ammo. Just be warned that there are a few places where he takes a few needless risks, and runs through areas that would be far safer to hang back in. But these are easy to spot (he even points them out himself).

Edited by monkeymischief

Just used my last save at the start of chapter 13. Once you get suits that have more inventory slots, you're laughing. Whenever you get to a store, you can fill your entire inventory with med packs and ammo, and just blast everything with reckless abandon, healing yourself when you take any amount of damage. I still have more than 300,000 credits, and although I can see myself buying a LOT more med packs and ammo from here on, I think I'll have more than enough. And if not, I can make at least 400,000 credits selling the fully upgraded guns I haven't used at all.

I've died only twice so far, and both were in Chapter 10. Both times were because I was too stingy with using my ammo, as that's the normal way of playing Dead Space games. Old habits die hard!

This exploit has turned hardcore from something I wouldn't even bother attempting (because it would frustrate me far too much) to something completely manageable.

EDIT: Rather than make three posts in a row, I'll just edit this one to say that I've now beat Hardcore. I was shocked at just how easy the last three chapters were. As long as you're quick, you don't have to deal with many enemies at all. I did take quite a few hits in the final enemy rush, where you're running towards the marker with loads of enemies spawning non-stop, but I healed after every hit, and was in no danger of dying at all. I ended up using hardly any ammo at all compared to chapters 10 through 12.

Now that I've finished, I think I was wrong to second guess my save points (right after the duping exploit at the start of chapter 2, at the start of chapter 10, and at the start of chapter 13). The only one I'd probably recommend changing is the last one; I'd actually wait until the eye poke machine at the end of chapter 13. Even if you're really good at it (I've never died in it, even on my very first playthrough), it's still unnerving, and there is a tiny bit of luck involved. Also, everything else in chapter 13 is really easy (although some people might prefer to save at the rotating lasers instead).

Edited by monkeymischief

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, nice find but it's not working for me. The credits are duping, but the nodes stop after only cloning 3-5. :/

I had the same issue where it only gave 3-4 nodes and duplicate credits. However I tried a change compared to what the video shows where I picked up the space node first, placed that on the right side of the corridor, ran to the node in the office, placed that on the right side too just under the first and them got the credits and placed it on the left side. Once I ran back to the office, waited and returned to the items, I picked up the credit first, which didn't duplicate, placed them near the vent and went for the node. First one didn't duplicate but the second one did. Once I put the second one down and returned, the first node reappeared and duplicated over and over. Tested twice and worked both times.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same issue where it only gave 3-4 nodes and duplicate credits. However I tried a change compared to what the video shows where I picked up the space node first, placed that on the right side of the corridor, ran to the node in the office, placed that on the right side too just under the first and them got the credits and placed it on the left side. Once I ran back to the office, waited and returned to the items, I picked up the credit first, which didn't duplicate, placed them near the vent and went for the node. First one didn't duplicate but the second one did. Once I put the second one down and returned, the first node reappeared and duplicated over and over. Tested twice and worked both times.

Your description is too confusing to read. Make a step by a step list would be easier. I don't even know which node you referring to, space node, office node or save room node by the wall. I wasn't sure which node or cash to picked up and drop off first. The video is a bit too long and I tried dlc duplication ammo trick but realized it wasted so much time to do on hardcore run. Hopefully you or someone could make this clarify, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks to monkeymischief for posting this. i was avoiding finishing this game but have now renewed my efforts.

thanks also to Chaos2keres, i had the same problem and his solution worked great.

also, i accidently picked up some credits after killing that thing in the hangar but kept going and the glitch still worked. maybe i got lucky but i was too lazy to start again :woop:

Edited by idleblue

• 3 weeks later...

I did it again and this time got 222 node but a funny thing happened to me , the node disappeared after i got 121 I went back to the store room and grab the node in the small wall locker with my kinesis and moved it to the same place and when i entered the duplicating room and opened the door to do the same trick i found the old node came back and the one that i brought with me is duplicating too.

and btw you can duplicate the Gold chip that the mini boss drop , grab it with your kinesis and take it all the way to the room were you place the duplicated nodes and credits then go back and you will find it in the same place , grab it again and so on.

• 3 months later...
So can I pick them up after I've duplicated them or do I have to leave them in one huge pile and guesstimate when I've got enough?

I just duped roughly 50 nodes, picked them all up, and am still able to dupe more. So I'd say after you've duped a reasonable amount, go ahead and pick them up. If you're only shooting to have X amount of them, this will help you figure out how much time you needs to spend doing so.

This seems like a nice trick, but no matter what I do I can't get it to work.

Does anyone know why? I'm following the video exactly as it plays out, but once I start duplicating I can only get four Power Nodes. Then they disappear.

Weirdly enough, the credits themselves continue to duplicate without fail.

It's really odd because I even tried it again but moved positiosn (thinking maybe the position of the credits was what was making them duplicate compared to the others) but it still didn't work.

Can anyone help me out? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I see the problem is a little bit common here based on some responses, so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm kind of tired of playing through the opening scenes so much :(

This no longer works - have tried everything, followed two different methods five times. It has obviously been patched to stop after four nodes.

Actually I did this like 4 days ago, and it worked fine for me. It stopped when I got like 93 nodes and like 30,000 credits. You can check my achievements, I got the Fully Outfitted and Picking Favorites achievements on the same day.

Actually I did this like 4 days ago, and it worked fine for me. It stopped when I got like 93 nodes and like 30,000 credits. You can check my achievements, I got the Fully Outfitted and Picking Favorites achievements on the same day.

What are you doing that I'm not doing? I'm following both videos to the second.

Am I not meant to get my stuff from the store? Am I not meant to recharge my stasis during the boss battle (I don't have the detonator mine thing).

I've even tried it without recharging my stasis as well, still doesn't work for me.

Please help if you know - there is obviously something I'm missing and it's really pissing me off :(

What are you doing that I'm not doing? I'm following both videos to the second.

Am I not meant to get my stuff from the store? Am I not meant to recharge my stasis during the boss battle (I don't have the detonator mine thing).

I've even tried it without recharging my stasis as well, still doesn't work for me.

Please help if you know - there is obviously something I'm missing and it's really pissing me off :(

Don't worry, I'm sure it's something that's beeing overlooked. I didn't kill the Brute(?) like in the videos because I did not have the mines, I just stasis, shoot arms, run , stasis, shoot arms, run until he was dead. After I killed him, I went and picked up the 2 nodes and the 1,000 Credit and layed them down in the hallway one is supposed to, then I ran to the next room, removed a panel from the wall and ran all the way to the room where there are ballons, waited like 15 seconds and ran back to the room where I removed the panel. And then just go back and forward from the room I removed the panel to where the nodes and credits are and pick one up (can't pickup more than once) and without dropping them, I carried them all the way to the end of the room I removed the panel, and set the nodes/credits directly in front of it. Basically took them and placed them exactly like showed in the video. Be sure to not drop the node/credits until the area where you are supposed to and also like mentioned in the video (I think?), don't go too far behind when opening the door to get the nodes/credits.

don't go too far behind when opening the door to get the nodes/credits.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean the door you opened to see the Credits and Nodes that you've placed? So I have to be sure I'm as close as possible before picking up the stuff?

Thanks for your help thus far, I will try to replicate this again soon. I really, really appreciate it.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean the door you opened to see the Credits and Nodes that you've placed? So I have to be sure I'm as close as possible before picking up the stuff?

Thanks for your help thus far, I will try to replicate this again soon. I really, really appreciate it.

Exactly, the door you open when you go back and forward to pick up the duplicated items, I heard that from another video on youtube but right now I can't find it, but I am sure it still works because yesterday I started my Hard Core playthrough and did this glitch, I got 121 nodes. I upgraded my Rig, Stasis, Plasma Cutter and Force Gun (i think it's the CE one) to the max, making the playthrough easier.