This is how you unlock the Shadow ranger achievement.

Ecko3351

Well if what you've written is true as of last night I'm screwed.

I'm just went for Ranger Hard core right off the bad, I got to the Chase level and must of had 30 attempts at this level without killing and could not get onto the train without dying, I started this level with only 2 syringes which I was forced to use to even survive to points before this.

I was forced to kill here or else I couldnt progress.......... seeing as you cannot buy med kits at the shops I had no way of stocking up beforehand.

I have read about people who killed on this level and still got the achievement but we'll have to see.

Some clarification from Deep Silver about 'Forced' killing actually means to help people.

If they made this achievement so its only possible to actually complete on easier difficulties then I'm sorry.... that's pretty poor, as I hadn't killed a single person up to this point, stealth is very easy in this game, even on Ranger Hardcore...... but at the same time its enjoyable, shame that I might miss out due to someone not thinking about this achievement properly.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to get the shadow rager achievement on ranger hardcore mode?

What do you think?

I'd like to think it is actually possible but in reality.... I'm not sure.

To get past the parts (like where I was forced to kill in the chase) without killing you'd need to be very very lucky..... even if you are carrying 5 med kits..... I was stuck with 2 and this wasn't enough to get me on the train.

To be honest, thinking about it now I dont think I'd of managed to get past the guys on the train anyway, I must of died 10 times trying to get past this part with my guns blazing, there's no cover, if you hid behind any of the crates or metal looking containers they just blow holes in them, so you don't get chance to back up and heal.

So at this rate I'm not far from completing my ranger hardcore playthrough in which I have not killed anyone up until The Chase and I wont get the hardcore achievement or Shadow Ranger..... the main reason I started on this mode was to "enjoy the game as it was intended" so the developers stated about Ranger mode and to get both these achievements at the same time.

Ah well....... I'm still enjoying the game, I'm just wound up I wont get the achievements at the end!

I've yet need to unlock Shadow Ranger myself and I don't know if this will help in anyway, but I discovered that there's actually no need to gun down the flamer-wielding heavy trooper. As soon as the shield squad is down to one man the AI controlled Rangers insta-kill him. I've tried this several times and each time the outcome is the same: his fuel tank goes on fire second after he loses all cover (there is only one shield soldier left). I didn't even have to wound him. This was on Ranger Easy difficulty. I'm writing this because there are complaints that in spite of not killing any human enemies (except the flamethrower guy and his protectors) this achievement still hasn't unlocked for some. Maybe the only real "fair game" in the whole game are those bulletproof shield soldiers and not the heavy trooper they're protecting?

On a side note: in the FACILITY level I knocked out one guy and he fell off a catwalk several meters down and I still unlocked the achievement for completing this level stealthily and without kills, so I don't think that "environmental" (unlike Dishonored) kills count against the player (if they even occur, the KOed enemies might as well be immune to all damage, there's really no way of telling).

Edited by Jaskier

im on the same boat with u got the bad ending cheevo the spartan cheevo and then im like ok one more where the hell in shadow ranger. Nothing now i gotta do this crap all over again:(

Hello yeah. I hope you get cheevo this time. :)

I will get bad ending achievement playthrough once I get 1000G for Crash Time 5. So I will playthrough to clean up all kill related achievements for humans, collectible musics achievement, kill boss in Red Square. I will get them in my 2nd playthrough after 1000G for CT 5. I will leave Shadow Ranger and Hardcore achievements for another time (I not want through and pray hope get them by end which is very frustrated). :):)

Also - DO NOT RELOAD ENTIRE CHAPTERS. The game reads the achievement path as "one whole playthrough". If you load a previous level, it will lock you out.

Do you know this for a fact?

Because I had to restart the level ECHOES when Pavel decided he wanted to get stuck.

We were literally around the corner from the entrance that leads to the Theatre and he just stood there stuck out in the open at the corner after we'd killed the Watchmen. He was saying over and over that we needed to move on, of course, but I couldn't get him to budge. Well, that's not entirely true, if I moved close to him he'd step out of the way, but then always return to the spot where he was stuck. I reloaded the checkpoint several times, but it saved after he got stuck, so I had to reload the chapter.

Granted, it was the current chapter I was playing, so I'm wondering if that is the same as reloading a chapter from further back in the game...

EDIT: A user posted a guide at TrueAchievements and says he re-loaded a chapter and still got the achievment, so I'm crossing my fingers...

Edited by Jack Frost

Why am I not surprised that this achievement is known to be glitchy for a lot of people? Because same thing happened with Dead Island. That game and this one is published by Deep Silver and both games are associated with bad programming of the achievements. My level in Dead Island glitched twice and for a long time their achievement for exploring every place on the island was glitched because one location was listed twice in the code instead of the last location.

Now Deep Silver is only the publisher, not the developer which is where the fault should lie, but it's just odd that both of these games from them have or had very annoying achievement coding.

Do you know this for a fact?

Because I had to restart the level ECHOES when Pavel decided he wanted to get stuck.

We were literally around the corner from the entrance that leads to the Theatre and he just stood there stuck out in the open at the corner after we'd killed the Watchmen. He was saying over and over that we needed to move on, of course, but I couldn't get him to budge. Well, that's not entirely true, if I moved close to him he'd step out of the way, but then always return to the spot where he was stuck. I reloaded the checkpoint several times, but it saved after he got stuck, so I had to reload the chapter.

Granted, it was the current chapter I was playing, so I'm wondering if that is the same as reloading a chapter from further back in the game...

EDIT: A user posted a guide at TrueAchievements and says he re-loaded a chapter and still got the achievment, so I'm crossing my fingers...

i restarted 2 chapters today once on Revolution and on the last chapter D6. thing is on D6 I fucked up and killed three guys, tried to restart the checkpoint and the game froze up. i then tried 5 more times unsuccessfully to reoad the checkpoint, after that i reset the level;completed it and got the achievement.

id say that you can reset the levels as the game runs of of whatever save you had at the time you reached said level.

i restarted 2 chapters today once on Revolution and on the last chapter D6. thing is on D6 I fucked up and killed three guys, tried to restart the checkpoint and the game froze up. i then tried 5 more times unsuccessfully to reoad the checkpoint, after that i reset the level;completed it and got the achievement.

id say that you can reset the levels as the game runs of of whatever save you had at the time you reached said level.

After 3 playthroughs and some testing I have to agree with this. The way the save system works is that it creates a "hard save" at the beginning of each level, which allows you to do chapter select. You can verify this by looking at the save files on your HD. Each chapter has a separate save file.

If you select a chapter to replay, you will have whatever guns and the number of bullets etc. you had when that hard save was created, and I think the stats are saved the same way as well.

So I'm guessing that if you accidentally killed someone on The Chase, for example, and didn't get Shadow Ranger at the end of the game, starting over from that level via chapter select and continuing on to the end without killing anyone this time around would fix it. Would be nice if someone could confirm this theory.

I just got Shadow Ranger on my first attempt. Man I was scared shitless. I didn't kill a single enemy through the entire game, then when it came to the flamethrower guy, he was getting very close & I hadn't killed him yet, so I reloaded checkpoint thinking he would kill me if he got too close cause I was going for True Spartan as well.

Once it reloaded, the game froze. No matter what I did it froze over and over. When I started up the game after restarting the xbox it froze where I couldn't move. Must have been about 10-11 times. Reading on here before I assumed you couldn't restart from chapter or else it would void the achievement. I thought you have got to be shitting me. THE LAST ENEMY and you screw me game?!

Anyways I managed to get it working again by starting a new game from the cloud. Then quit out & reloaded my save from the HDD and it didn't freeze any more. Got the achievement so I'm very happy.

ETA: By the way I took plenty of guys' filters through the game such as in the burning building and on the surface so that doesn't void the achievement at all. And I only shot the flamethrower guy, not his shield bitches.

Edited by rockhopper

ETA: By the way I took plenty of guys' filters through the game such as in the burning building and on the surface so that doesn't void the achievement at all.

Good to know.

Although, I've now played through nearly 3 times and I know where quite a few stashes are so I'm routinely running around with 45:00 to 60:00 worth of filters for most of the last half of the game, so I was going to not take the filters from the soldiers on the surface, just in case.

Yea that first woman in Bandits I wanted to see if you could actually save her, and you can. Got a white flash after so I guess you should go for that too.

Now that women with the bandits, how do you save her without killing them?

Every time I tried to go non-lethal the asshole kills her while I'm taking down the first guy who's watching. I was only ever able to save her by shooting the rapist first then focusing on the guy watching.

big old list of things to do....

Nevander dude thank you thank you thank you. :drunk

Now that women with the bandits, how do you save her without killing them?

Every time I tried to go non-lethal the asshole kills her while I'm taking down the first guy who's watching. I was only ever able to save her by shooting the rapist first then focusing on the guy watching.

Nevander dude thank you thank you thank you. :drunk

Sprint straight to the train and then crouch when you get inside, knock out the first guy, then run up to the one over her and knock him out. Done and done. It takes like 15 seconds from the start of the dialogue for that guy to kill her somehow, I guess he strangles her lol.

And no problem for that list, just wanted to list everything I did and the choices I made since I got Redemption and Shadow Ranger together a couple days ago.

Still have to get those stupid instruments. >_<

I've had to re-do 'Bandits' so many damn times now for various reasons, and now I have the entire initial area cleared, excluding the guy on the train car I found out I need to move. But, I can't knock him out whatsoever. I toy with him, and no matter how close he gets to either side of the train car, I can't knock him out. Am I now forced to re-do the level or what? I'm so lost on what to do. I would love to kill him, but refuse to do the game a second time because of one guy. Tips?

I've had to re-do 'Bandits' so many damn times now for various reasons, and now I have the entire initial area cleared, excluding the guy on the train car I found out I need to move. But, I can't knock him out whatsoever. I toy with him, and no matter how close he gets to either side of the train car, I can't knock him out. Am I now forced to re-do the level or what? I'm so lost on what to do. I would love to kill him, but refuse to do the game a second time because of one guy. Tips?

Have you turned off the lamp that's right behind him on the car?

If you do, he'll jump down to inspect, but be careful as he will turn on his light.

Once he's on the ground, he's fair game...

Am I now forced to re-do the level or what?

In my SR run I ignored the hostages in that level and still got the achievement after the climax. As long as you don't directly kill anybody then it's all good.

For the handcar guy, just walk up to his left side and position yourself in a way that you get the prompt for a takedown. No need to crouch, as stealth is horribly unbalanced in this game.

Once he's on the ground, he's fair game...

He doesn't leave the handcar at all. If he spots you he just shoots from the platform.

Well, completed the game, and the only person I killed was the flamethrower soldier during D6, and I got no achievement. Real happy I got fucked over. Oh well, I won't be doing it again. I'm estimating I should get around 900 with other achievements, so that will work for me. Not going through the entirety of this game again with heavy emphasis on avoiding enemies and stealth just to get disappointed again. What a terrible fucking idea for an achievement.

Well, completed the game, and the only person I killed was the flamethrower soldier during D6, and I got no achievement. Real happy I got fucked over. Oh well, I won't be doing it again. I'm estimating I should get around 900 with other achievements, so that will work for me. Not going through the entirety of this game again with heavy emphasis on avoiding enemies and stealth just to get disappointed again. What a terrible fucking idea for an achievement.

Could you answer my question please up above? I'm about to try soon.

Okay I just unlocked the shadow ranger achievement. The only time you are forced to kill is at the very end of the level D6. When you get to the part with the big guy with the flamethrower and the riot shield guys, that's when you start killing. So do not kill anyone at the train part or the part with the snipers.

If you think about it, if they get to you, you're dead. Game over. So you have to kill them.

This was the only time I killed anybody and the achievement still did not unlock. I killed the flamethrower guy and maybe two or three riot shield guys and still no achievement. I am so pissed off right now. I didn't even shoot anybody else. I knocked everybody out and that is it.