Achievement Guide & Roadmap

bLaKgRaVy

You can grab the first rope whenever it gets near you, but before the scene changes to the platform pulling away from under Dirk.

It's how I did the scenes in my first playthrough. Maybe that's how I missed those points and ended up short.

Ohhh right. You miss out on points if the ledge starts to disappear? Did not know that. Do you miss out on the 49 points for starting the scene or the points awarded for the first move, because those points are 251 for the correct-facing scene and 379 for the mirrored scene?

Again, I'll test it out tonight and report my findings (and change "Lair King" in the guide once again...).

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh right. You miss out on points if the ledge starts to disappear? Did not know that. Do you miss out on the 49 points for starting the scene or the points awarded for the first move, because those points are 251 for the correct-facing scene and 379 for the mirrored scene?

Again, I'll test it out tonight and report my findings (and change "Lair King" in the guide once again...).

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Well, I don't know for sure if those points are missable. I just know that you can grab the first rope early, because I did just that in my first playthrough, on both versions of the scene.

When the scene starts, the closest rope swings close to you two or three times before the scene cuts away to the platform moving. You can grab the rope any time before the scene switches to the platform.

A few people on TA mentoined that they needed the move guide to be turned off. They always had that 285xxx number and got it when turning the move guide off. But it seems it only disables the achievement for some users.

So I would just try once in every setting to be sure ;P

I have, that's the thing. I've played:

• Easy/Arcade/Overlay/Move Guide On
  • Easy/Arcade/Overlay/Move Guide Off
  • Easy/Arcade/Full Screen/Move Guide On
  • Easy/Arcade/Full Screen/Move Guide Off (I got "Lair King" on this run)

I've come up with 288,543 every time. As far as I know, those are the only combinations to get "Lair King". Playing on Hard and/or in Home mode won't unlock it. And since I don't have a Kinect, all these playthroughs were with a controller.

Now, I haven't played with the Move Beeps Off at all, just On, but I really don't think that playing with the beeps on or off would make a difference in scoring, much like playing in full screen/overlay or have the move guide on/off would make a difference. Those are just visual aides and really should have no bearing on the scoring in the game.

I'm sorry, but it's got to be user error. That really is the only explanation for the missing 3,255 points, unless it's skipping that entire scene for some people.

3,255 points are awarded:

• Lizard King - When Dirk finally stops running and goes to grab his sword, you can press either Up or Sword. It awards the same amount of points for either action, so that's not it because it's a necessary move.
  • Cauldron / Wizard's Chamber - When Dirk examines the bottles on the table, you have to press Sword then Down. Both moves award you with 3,255 points each, but again, both are necessary.
  • Giddy Goons - Pressing Up (on Easy) or Sword on the stairs awards you with 3,255 points. Necessary move.
  • Pool of Water / Crumbing Room - You have to press Left to exit the pool of water, which adds 3,255 points. Necessary move. Same points are awarded in the mirror version of this scene when you press Up to jump into the pool.
  • Electrified Throne Room - Pressing Up or Right as the second move (before Dirk jumps in the chair) awards 3,255 points. Necessary move.
  • Dragon's Lair - Pressing Right to jump behind the red pillar awards 3,255 points. Necessary move.

According to the scoring chart, if you jump off at any of the 9 platforms you are awarded 3,255 points (but you don't get the bonus points for waiting). Likewise, for the 3-ledge platform scene; jump off at any ledge you get the points. Maybe the scoring chart is wrong in that aspect, since it was written from the original arcade cabinet. Now, I've verified that the scoring chart is correct on all points if you are going for a perfect run (by saving and calculating at the beginning of each scene), but I've never jumped off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. Maybe I'll try doing that and see what I come up with, but it still doesn't explain the fact that people are claiming to jump off at the correct ledges and are still short points. I'll report back.

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

The missing points on hard are part of tthe underground river scene. I think it's the first whirlpool that's missing.

Yeah, I know that. What we don't know (at least I don't) is why playing in Home mode deducts 49 points from your score. The forum on PS3T.org states that it's for the starting bonus for the first scene, but the first scene in Home mode is the Drawbridge, and that doesn't award any points. We know that because it isn't a necessary scene in Arcade mode (since it's not there).

Looks like another thing to check out...

I just checked his activity on xbox.com. ptc hasn't unlocked it yet... :confused:

OK - finally unlocked it! I'm west coast, been trying to unlock for the past couple nights (after 9pm). Thought timezones might be somehow screwing me up, so I decided to set the date to 6/18. Lo and behold, it unlocked! So, don't try and unlock later in the evening pacific time. If you do, set the clock to 6/18 :)

I had the same problem with the Date with Daphne achievement. I too was playing late night pacific time. It may be as PTC suggests with the time zones because it popped when I rolled the date back to the 18th. However, I was also playing in "home" mode originally. After I rolled it back to the 18th, I also changed modes to "arcade". It popped the moment I started the game. So it's got to be one of these two.

Yeah, I know that. What we don't know (at least I don't) is why playing in Home mode deducts 49 points from your score. The forum on PS3T.org states that it's for the starting bonus for the first scene, but the first scene in Home mode is the Drawbridge, and that doesn't award any points. We know that because it isn't a necessary scene in Arcade mode (since it's not there).

Looks like another thing to check out...

Home doesn't give you the 49 point scene start bonus upon entering the lair. I don't think the overlay is the problem but it does seem to be a fairly consistent fix. I'd agree with user error if we could work out a series of moves that amounted to 3255 points but as there doesn't seem to be any I'm personally putting it down to it just being buggy, especially as different setups seem to be working for different people.

OK - finally unlocked it! I'm west coast, been trying to unlock for the past couple nights (after 9pm). Thought timezones might be somehow screwing me up, so I decided to set the date to 6/18. Lo and behold, it unlocked! So, don't try and unlock later in the evening pacific time. If you do, set the clock to 6/18 :)

I had the same problem with the Date with Daphne achievement. I too was playing late night pacific time. It may be as PTC suggests with the time zones because it popped when I rolled the date back to the 18th. However, I was also playing in "home" mode originally. After I rolled it back to the 18th, I also changed modes to "arcade". It popped the moment I started the game. So it's got to be one of these two.

Glad you guys found out the problem and unlocked it! Certainly a lot more trouble than it was worth.

I mentioned it in the guide that based on different time zones around the world, you may have to set the date to another than 6/19 (6/17, 6/18, 6/21 or 6/22) just to cover all the bases. Thanks for finding this out!

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Home doesn't give you the 49 point scene start bonus upon entering the lair. I don't think the overlay is the problem but it does seem to be a fairly consistent fix. I'd agree with user error if we could work out a series of moves that amounted to 3255 points but as there doesn't seem to be any I'm personally putting it down to it just being buggy, especially as different setups seem to be working for different people.

If you play on Arcade, you don't get the Drawbridge scene, so no points. If you play on Home, you get the Drawbridge scene and no points. Either way, you don't get any points for it, which makes sense.

I just played about 6 or 7 different Home mode games (both difficulties) and the first "point-awarding" scene was the Crumbling Vestibule every single time. It did not award me with 49 points for starting that scene (ended up with 502 whereas the scoring guide says 551), so that's it, the first "point-awarding" scene, not the Drawbridge scene. I'm sorry if I misunderstood when you said "upon entering the lair" which I took as the Drawbridge scene. It wasn't clear to me until now. Now I understand. :)

Well, I don't know for sure if those points are missable. I just know that you can grab the first rope early, because I did just that in my first playthrough, on both versions of the scene.

When the scene starts, the closest rope swings close to you two or three times before the scene cuts away to the platform moving. You can grab the rope any time before the scene switches to the platform.

I tested it out and those points are not missable at all. Whether I waited until the ledge started to disappear or if I grabbed the rope right away, I was awarded the same amount of points. I did this in a Home mode game (so the scene would repeat if I died) and did both the regular and mirrored scenes. Should I test it in an Arcade mode game, or are we satisfied with the results?

Glad we cleared that up.

So really, the only missable points as of right now are the 49 points for the third Sword action in the Snake Room. Now, off to test the falling platforms...

Ok, I do think that the missing 3,255 points is user error, and here's why:

The scoring guide says:

3-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given at any of the three stops."

9-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given for any one successful move at ANY of the nine stops."

This is false, plain and simple. The rest of the scoring guide is dead on balls accurate, but here it isn't. Again, this was written from the original arcade cabinet scoring method, not any of the 66 iterations after that.

I just tested both the 3- and 9-ledge scenes, and you are NOT awarded 3,255 points for jumping off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. If you jump off at the 1st or 2nd of the 3-ledge platform or jump off at the 1st through 8th ledge of the 9-ledge platform, you get ZERO points. You do, however, get the bonus points on the 9-ledge platform for waiting until you reach the third set of ledges (the points are different in the regular and mirrored scenes), but only jumping off at the last possible ledge awards you 3,255 points.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone a liar when they say they jump off at the correct platform, but people are miscounting; that's got to be it. Why do some people get it and others don't? If the game was glitched, it would glitch for every single copy, not a select few people. I'm sorry, but it has to be because of user error. There is no other explanation.

I can't stress enough that you save every time you reach this scene. For good measure, pause the game and write down the points you have when Dirk jumps on the platform (the 49 points for starting the scene have already been added), and let the platform fall. If you are still alive when the 4th ledge appears, then count correctly and jump off at the 9th ledge. If you crash, reload and jump off at the 3rd. Then, when the next scene starts and you see the 49 points added, pause it again and write that number down. Then subtract the lower number from the higher one. Depending on if it was the 3- or 9-ledge scene, you should get:

3,304 points for either 3-ledge scene (regular or mirrored)

5,292 points for the regular 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his left hip)

5,619 points for the mirrored 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his right hip)

This is the only (and simplest) way to check if you've been having trouble with "Lair King".

When I said entering the lair I meant the final scene (dragon's lair).

Oh, when I tested it out, it didn't give out the 49 points for the first point-awarding scene (which was the Crumbling Vestibule). I still don't know why they did that; it seems stupid if you ask me, or maybe it wasn't intentional and they didn't realize it before it was released. The only difference between the modes *should* be that on Arcade the scene after you die is random and on Home you keep repeating it until you clear it.

And why the hell is the first whirlpool missing from the Hard difficulty? What purpose does it serve? Yeah, I can understand the extra moves required for a higher difficulty, but to completely cut out and entire move? Dumb.

Maybe people are assuming that you aren't getting the 49 points for entering the dragon's lair because their they only notice then that the points are 49 less than they should be (288,494 as opposed to 288,543), but in reality it goes all the way back to the first scene where they don't get the points and they aren't noticing that.

Another thing I gotta test out, but I think I'm right, since after 6 or 7 games in Home mode, none of them gave me 49 points for the first point-awarding scene. I never made it to the dragon's lair since I had thought I figured it out.

Also, according to the forums on PS3T.org, Yoshi_Girl also states that you miss out on the 49 points for the first scene at the beginning of the game (not the lair) in Home mode.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/1583647-post4.html

Edited by bLaKgRaVy

Ok, I do think that the missing 3,255 points is user error, and here's why:

The scoring guide says:

3-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given at any of the three stops."

9-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given for any one successful move at ANY of the nine stops."

This is false, plain and simple. The rest of the scoring guide is dead on balls accurate, but here it isn't. Again, this was written from the original arcade cabinet scoring method, not any of the 66 iterations after that.

I just tested both the 3- and 9-ledge scenes, and you are NOT awarded 3,255 points for jumping off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. If you jump off at the 1st or 2nd of the 3-ledge platform or jump off at the 1st through 8th ledge of the 9-ledge platform, you get ZERO points. You do, however, get the bonus points on the 9-ledge platform for waiting until you reach the third set of ledges (the points are different in the regular and mirrored scenes), but only jumping off at the last possible ledge awards you 3,255 points.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone a liar when they say they jump off at the correct platform, but people are miscounting; that's got to be it. Why do some people get it and others don't? If the game was glitched, it would glitch for every single copy, not a select few people. I'm sorry, but it has to be because of user error. There is no other explanation.

I can't stress enough that you save every time you reach this scene. For good measure, pause the game and write down the points you have when Dirk jumps on the platform (the 49 points for starting the scene have already been added), and let the platform fall. If you are still alive when the 4th ledge appears, then count correctly and jump off at the 9th ledge. If you crash, reload and jump off at the 3rd. Then, when the next scene starts and you see the 49 points added, pause it again and write that number down. Then subtract the lower number from the higher one. Depending on if it was the 3- or 9-ledge scene, you should get:

3,304 points for either 3-ledge scene (regular or mirrored)

5,292 points for the regular 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his left hip)

5,619 points for the mirrored 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his right hip)

This is the only (and simplest) way to check if you've been having trouble with "Lair King".

I've just done that with arcade cabinet turned on and both move and beep guide turned off. Still just 285288. I did everything according to all the guids, which I've read several times before.

There has to be some kind of glitch. Just because not everbody experiences it, doesn't mean it can't be a glitch. If not, it is something else, but I did every other thing accoarding to your walkthrough and only saved at the beginning of each scene right when I got the 49 points.

Well, will try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Got it today, first try. This time with everything turned on. I sure as hell didn't do anything different. I looked where it was possible to jump at the 9th stage and did 3rd and 9th both 2 times. Once normal and once mirrored. The same way I did it yesterday. Nothing else was different, except I was WAY quicker since I used the move and beep guides.

Well, at least I'm done now, though it was fun to play. And I never played this game before, only watched playthroughs of this, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2.

Edited by L0cke89

I've just done that with arcade cabinet turned on and both move and beep guide turned off. Still just 285288. I did everything according to all the guids, which I've read several times before.

There has to be some kind of glitch. Just because not everbody experiences it, doesn't mean it can't be a glitch. If not, it is something else, but I did every other thing accoarding to your walkthrough and only saved at the beginning of each scene right when I got the 49 points.

Well, will try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Got it today, first try. This time with everything turned on. I sure as hell didn't do anything different. I looked where it was possible to jump at the 9th stage and did 3rd and 9th both 2 times. Once normal and once mirrored. The same way I did it yesterday. Nothing else was different, except I was WAY quicker since I used the move and beep guides.

Well, at least I'm done now, though it was fun to play. And I never played this game before, only watched playthroughs of this, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2.

When I got it, I had the move guide off, but the move beeps on. I played again with the move guide on got to the dragon's lair with the correct score. I've never played a game with the move beeps off, and really don't intend to (maybe I should just to verify). I can't imagine that having either of those on or off would make a difference in the scoring, same with the arcade overlay vs. full screen. It just doesn't make any sense. This are visual and audio settings that should have nothing to do with the scoring in the game, but, stranger things have happened.

Glad to hear you got it. It's an easy game; I don't know why I had so much trouble with it in the arcade when I was 12.

I played Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II only a handful of times. I found them confusing as they weren't separate scenes like Dragon's Lair, they were continuous "movies", and I could never get the moves right.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=bLaKgRaVy

Lair King - 20

Got a high score of 427,469 (Controller Mode).

[*]After your first death, after Dirk says "Wow", you should have 315,388 (4 lives left). Save the game.

Slight correction here. That number should actually be 315,338.

Edited by MindVortex

Got it. I probably calculated it correctly but just typed it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yep, I was intending to point that out too.

I had to play all 5 sequencies without saving as I wasn't sure if my 315 338 were correct. The truth is that one replaying sequence (except 5th) gives you 26795 points.

Anyway, it's a gorgeous guide, thank you.