Your honest opinion on Xbox one?

Akuza

I think I've used it long enough now to form a proper opinion:p

I must say I'm really enjoying it. I switched back to my 360 the other day for the first time since buying the one and I actually prefer the One's dashboard to the 360's. The 'friend's feed' option is growing on me. It's much simpler to see what they're doing and join if need be without having to search for their avatar/GT like I would on the 360.

I think it's slightly annoying that some features that were present and useful on the 360 aren't present on the One (yet?) and the 'Ready to Start' option is beyond annoying when most of the time the game isn't actually ready to start playing. (Being able to access the main menu does not count as playing:p)

Overall I'm happy with the purchase and I must applaud MS for their online service. It's been over a month and I haven't encountered a single problem with Live, it's been perfect. I only mention this because a friend of mine bought a PS4 and spent most of last week complaining that PSN was either down or having problems so it seems MS was well prepared for the Christmas/Holiday rush:p

I agree. And the 360 is slow compared to XB1.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've used it long enough now to form a proper opinion:p

I must say I'm really enjoying it. I switched back to my 360 the other day for the first time since buying the one and I actually prefer the One's dashboard to the 360's. The 'friend's feed' option is growing on me. It's much simpler to see what they're doing and join if need be without having to search for their avatar/GT like I would on the 360.

I think it's slightly annoying that some features that were present and useful on the 360 aren't present on the One (yet?) and the 'Ready to Start' option is beyond annoying when most of the time the game isn't actually ready to start playing. (Being able to access the main menu does not count as playing:p)

Overall I'm happy with the purchase and I must applaud MS for their online service. It's been over a month and I haven't encountered a single problem with Live, it's been perfect. I only mention this because a friend of mine bought a PS4 and spent most of last week complaining that PSN was either down or having problems so it seems MS was well prepared for the Christmas/Holiday rush:p

I agree. I have only had one issue with anything since release and its with battlefield 4. Which isn't the console its the broke ass game!

I agree. And the 360 is slow compared to XB1.

Its ridiculously slow. I haven't been on my 360 since the release of the X1 and couldn't believe how slow it was when I logged on to it the other day.

As I got mine free in the recent surprise promotion thingie, I will say that I have greatly enjoyed the Xbox One, but I wouldn't recommend actually paying for it just yet. But the same goes for every new console.

The best: As for the good and bad of the system... I think I can speak for anyone with a bloated gamer profile that the xbone's UI speed is a godsend. It takes so long for me to load my profile on the 360 at this point it is ridiculous.

The pointless: Kinect, like all motion control hardware, is simply never going to be what developers want it to be(doesn't matter if its the Wii, PSMove, or Kinect), and I don't particularly bother with it except for turning the console off(which, its actually quite nice for when I've already set my controller down and gotten distracted, heh).

The sorta bad: The dashboard has some issues(achievement viewing is a pain for sure) but as others have said, it's the kind of stuff they will change in a patch no problem(and will simply as a matter of course multiple times during the console's lifespan).

The could go either way: Games, people know what they are getting. Most are just slightly prettier versions of old generation games. As for the few new gen games, not really sure what the complaints about Dead rising 3 in particular are about. The game is great(maybe takes itself a little too seriously compared to its predecessors) and does a good job showing off the next gen potential for actual gameplay impact beyond simply the aforementioned making things slightly prettier. The shear number of zombies that are present simultaneously of almost infinite diversity(seriously, look at the things sometime) is great, particularly considering the game has virtually no "zoning". The previous entries in the series and other similar titles did a good job creating the impression of hordes through use of tight corridors, respawns, etc., but it is a huge step up when you are standing on a street packed with literally thousands of zombies in an open environment. Of course if you aren't a DR fan to begin with, it isn't going to win you over, but that is just simple taste. (Likewise I wouldn't have had anything to play if it was just the racing titles and FPSs, as I couldn't really care less about CoD or Forza.)

The great: The controller is amazing. I don't understand the complaints here at all. Like many I felt the shoulder buttons were a little high at first, but I got used to them. I absolutely love the feel of the new analog sticks and triggers. I'm curious to get a chance to see if they fixed the d-pad in the slightest(as of course the 360 has the worst d-pad in the history of gaming) but there hasn't been anything to test it with yet really. One person mentioned it was too small, but it is the same size as the 360 controller and much larger than the PS controllers so... yeah, not sure that is a legitimate complaint. The distribution of weight is a little different than the 360 controller(the handles are lighter compared to a 360 equivalent battery pack, so the weight tilts toward the top a bit more), but nothing major. I've found it easy to jump back and forth between the two controllers but in doing so really notice some of the improvements in percision the xbox one controller has. The only hang up I've had is that in Peggle 2 the left analog stick would get stuck in a sort of slo-mo, but I am unsure if that is a game or controller issue as I didn't notice it in in any other games.

Overall, I believe it has a lot of potential. I've never been one for the all purpose multimedia machines they want to turn all consoles into, but the Xbox One seems to at least be doing it right with some of the features. It is missing the raw content at the moment(including many things that are on the 360), but it is the kind of stuff that we will most definitely be getting sooner than later(a lot of it probably just has to do with existing distribution deals not including the new consoles, so will take some legal renegotiations and not as simple as just putting them on the console).

Edited by dmfaust

Personally, so far I really like it. Yes it has a few flaws like no friend notifications, and there seems to be issues with parties (not that I have seen them yet), but for me these things can be fixed. And they are very minor really.

I'm using the Kinect quite a lot so far, I find it really useful when navigating the menus. It picks up my voice and the correct command 95% of the time.

I thought the controller was a little weird at first, mainly the shoulder buttons, but now I've got used to it, I'm happy with it.

I bought Ryse digitally and it took ages to install, but then games take ages to install for me if I get them from Steam, so it could just be my internet?

I also got Battlefield, and that only took about 10 minutes before I could play it, then the rest of it downloaded in the back ground so didn't really notice it.

All in all, really happy, and after playing the PS4, I feel I made the right choice. Although I did like the PS4 too, and would eventually like to get one as well.

After 2 months I honestly am missing my dear old beloved 360. Party problems are ruining it for me. All the reasons I hated Kinnect before have now being magnified, although the clip record is really good, when it chooses to work (funniest moment so far was sneezing while playing FIFA and it said clip recorded). It's also turned into Cheevo overload with so many pointless (literally) achievements, remember the time when you actually had to try to earn these. So far I sort of feel cheated with lack of new games and poor online experiences. It's also not helped by my BF4 premium woes (EA a pox on you and DICE), generally not loving it right now and seriously gave it some thought of getting my old 360 back just to rekindle the love. Queuing up on launch day seems now like such a total and utter waste of time.

I see a few people mentioning lack of games here.

I realise myself there isn't that many new titles, just rehashing of older ones or already released titles.

If there where say 5 or 6 maybe new as in brand new titles would this help?

I'm only asking, since I'm wondering if this is due to "lack of choice" or actually is "lack of games"

Also, I'm aware of all the dashboard issues such as everything is an app :p and party problems.

But couldn't you just fix your party problems by chatting in game (for now) and setting your voice communications to friends only? I know it's not ideal, but it keeps you happy for now?

1 other question, has there been any improvement on the install time of games yet?

I only ask these questions to further the topic and futher my quest for knowledge! :p

I don't really get why people are complaining about the lack of launch titles. It's not like it was kept secret how many were being released. There was plenty of coverage about all the games coming out for it. So you could quite easily make your mind up before the console was even out about whether you thought there were enough games to play.

There were 22? launch titles for the Xbone, and compared to the 360 which had 15 in Europe, its not really surprising that there weren't that many.

PS3 had about the same amount, so I don't really get why people are expecting loads of games to play?

The best: As for the good and bad of the system... I think I can speak for anyone with a bloated gamer profile that the xbone's UI speed is a godsend. It takes so long for me to load my profile on the 360 at this point it is ridiculous.

That actually has nothing to do with your profile and everything to do with your hard drive. I have the same issue on my one hard drive I have been using for years (slim version). The hard drive slowly degrades for one reason or another (fragmentation?) and become so slow in every way. I can load my profile on my newer xbox and it works fine. Also try moving your tag to a flash drive, removing your hard drive, and then loading in. It will be instant. Only way to fix this is to wipe your drive via reformatting and start over. I havent done this I just know when I use that Xbox I will have to wait a solid 2 minutes for my profile and dashboard to boot up.

For me it's a solid games machine (not great, because we don't really have many next gen only games yet) and the new controller is very nice indeed.

The problem I have is that every other aspect of the console and interface seems badly thought out. Pressing the guide button to drop back to the menu while still playing seems like a good idea at first, but then you realise you have to navigate through the often baffling menu system to get anywhere. Before you could just hit the guide button and zip to your friends, achievements, active downloads or whatever. Now everything feels hidden away and it is just a chore to do anything.

Starting a party now feels like far more of an effort too, and what's with having to manually activate party chat? Why can't I have auto-sign in set up (as mine is the only profile)? Why is the store badly laid out and hidden away? And I hate having to install EVERY game to the console now, even if it's only a small install. Especially when you can't even see how much space you've used up. Even PS3 users would moan about the amount of installs they had to suffer so why go down that exact route?

I ended up turning off the DVR recording too, as it would film almost everything and after my first session of FIFA I had something like 30+ clips sat there. Likewise the voice controls are pointless and cumbersome. Even in a quiet room I have to basically shout in a loud clear voice to get it to recognise me, as opposed to just pressing a few buttons for the same effect. Yet again MS has forced Kinect on us without considering whether it is actually faster or more helpful - as it is neither of those things.

I've actually gone back to my 360 to play games, as they had gotten the dashboard there almost spot on. The Xbox One actually feels like the interface is what came BEFORE the 360 dashboard, and then they actually came to their senses and made options and features easy to access. As it stands the One is a good games console but a bad experience for anything else.

I ended up turning off the DVR recording too, as it would film almost everything and after my first session of FIFA I had something like 30+ clips sat there. Likewise the voice controls are pointless and cumbersome. Even in a quiet room I have to basically shout in a loud clear voice to get it to recognise me, as opposed to just pressing a few buttons for the same effect. Yet again MS has forced Kinect on us without considering whether it is actually faster or more helpful - as it is neither of those things.

FIFA seems to be the worst for the auto recording by the sounds of it. I have BF4 and Ryse, and BF4 does the odd random clip, usually when levelling up, but Ryse hasn't done any. So, so far that hasn't been a problem for me.

I haven't had any problems with the Kinect, and I actually think it really helps with navigating the menus. Like you say, they can be a bit baffling, but if you just say 'xbox......' then you go straight where you want. Obviously if the voice commands aren't working very well for then, I can understand your frustration.

I don't think the Kinect is forced on you. Yes its forced on you when you buy the console. But the actual use of it isn't forced.

I haven't experienced party chat yet. But it sounds pretty annoying. I don't get why they changed that?

FIFA seems to be the worst for the auto recording by the sounds of it. I have BF4 and Ryse, and BF4 does the odd random clip, usually when levelling up, but Ryse hasn't done any. So, so far that hasn't been a problem for me.

I haven't had any problems with the Kinect, and I actually think it really helps with navigating the menus. Like you say, they can be a bit baffling, but if you just say 'xbox......' then you go straight where you want. Obviously if the voice commands aren't working very well for then, I can understand your frustration.

I don't think the Kinect is forced on you. Yes its forced on you when you buy the console. But the actual use of it isn't forced.

I haven't experienced party chat yet. But it sounds pretty annoying. I don't get why they changed that?

It is forced on you as it is stuffed in the box whether you want it or not. Regardless of what MS may want us to think it is NOT required in order to be able to use the console or play any regular game (Kinect specific games aside) and so is pretty much a dust gathering peripheral for those that don't like it or it doesn't work correctly for.

I'd actually feel a bit better about my purchase if they'd have sold it without Kinect which would have no doubt knocked a good £50+ off the RRP. Heck, I suspect they would have sold a crap ton more consoles if that had been an option.

MS simply didn't learn from the motion control fad, and it really was a fad, as all those gamers that rushed to pick up a Wii generally left it gathering dust or played/bought no other games besides Wii Sports and Wii Fit (Nintendo fans excluded of course, I'm talking the general populace). Same happened with Kinect, plenty of people picked it up but then never took the plunge on any of the specific games as aside from dance games they were pretty much all awful. New Kinect has been shoehorned into the box as MS simply won't accept that most people still don't want/use it.

I suppose on one hand I've got a piece of equipment that I may occasionally use, but I'd probably rather have some extra money in my pocket. Kinect is still a flawed piece of kit - even though it has improved on the original - and not something I would willingly fork out money for.

Oh - I also forgot to mention my new consoles habit of booting me out of games randomly for no reason. That is also a cool new feature.

It may not sound it, but I have had fun with the new console. I'm just baffled by some of the choices which seem like steps backwards rather than improvements. Hopefully they'll sort it all out, as the last dash got a bunch of updates and most of them were decent upgrades.

For me it's a solid games machine (not great, because we don't really have many next gen only games yet) and the new controller is very nice indeed.

The problem I have is that every other aspect of the console and interface seems badly thought out. Pressing the guide button to drop back to the menu while still playing seems like a good idea at first, but then you realise you have to navigate through the often baffling menu system to get anywhere. Before you could just hit the guide button and zip to your friends, achievements, active downloads or whatever. Now everything feels hidden away and it is just a chore to do anything.

Starting a party now feels like far more of an effort too, and what's with having to manually activate party chat? Why can't I have auto-sign in set up (as mine is the only profile)? Why is the store badly laid out and hidden away? And I hate having to install EVERY game to the console now, even if it's only a small install. Especially when you can't even see how much space you've used up. Even PS3 users would moan about the amount of installs they had to suffer so why go down that exact route?

I've actually gone back to my 360 to play games, as they had gotten the dashboard there almost spot on. The Xbox One actually feels like the interface is what came BEFORE the 360 dashboard, and then they actually came to their senses and made options and features easy to access. As it stands the One is a good games console but a bad experience for anything else.

I agree with everything except the DVR recording since I have know idea how to use it. Still Im happy with my purchase and will be even happier when Microsoft eventually starts updating/fixing everything.

I think I just found my new favorite feature. I won a digital copy of ACIV, but already had it installed from the disc. I redeemed the code on Xbox.com and when I went to download it on my Xbox One, there was no option. Turns out, if you installed a game from a disc and then purchase a digital copy, you don't have to delete or install anything.

Probably old news for anyone who might've purchased games digital after purchasing a physical copy (or if this was even possible on the Xbox 360), but this is pretty cool for me!

This is pretty nitpicky but I hated what they did with Netflix on the Xbox One. I don't know if this is how it looks on the Xbox 360 but this is the setup for the PS3 and the PS4. I spend a lot of time using Netflix, so it matters to me. Unfortunately, this video which is way longer than it needs to be already doesn't show the ease of browsing seasons of television shows, which is much easier with this version of Netflix.

Netflix on PS4! Nice! - YouTube

I watched a couple movies over the past few weeks on the Xbox 360. Netflix looks like this on there too. I don't really like it, myself.

Starting a party now feels like far more of an effort too, and what's with having to manually activate party chat?

And I hate having to install EVERY game to the console now, even if it's only a small install. Especially when you can't even see how much space you've used up.

I ended up turning off the DVR recording too, as it would film almost everything.

I don't have many complaints about the system myself, but I seem to agree with these three things big time. I know it took a while for MS to implement and sort out Party Chat for the Xbox 360, but I hope that it's top of their list of priorities for the Xbox One. That, and memory management. Because say for example, when I'm done with Zoo Tycoon, I want to be able to delete it off my hard drive. Not only that, but I just finished up a digital title last night, and I don't remember how many GB it took up, but it'd be nice to delete it and then redownload if I ever want to play again like you can do so through the Xbox 360's download history :/