Does this work (sketch inside)

Mopey

NEW POST

(Since the old request was answered)

Another question!

I saw some videos of stores and shops inside of Minecraft where you buy items with currency.

Though, the currency can be anything you want it to be: Redstone dust, gold, whatever. That idea caught me and now I want to implement it!

Sand is a very easy currency to create, since you can place a sand block and let it fall to trigger a redstone-circuit. Nice, clean and easy. But I want to try it with redstone dust.

The whole project is easier with hoppers and droppers, I know. But for now, we Xboxers won't get it. So I am looking for serious alternatives.

My planning so far:

You put the redstone dust into a dispenser. The dispenser holds it. It holds the item as long as you take it out, again. Or you turn a switch on to make it shoot the redstone dust out, preferably onto a pressure plate. Here comes the tricky part:

One dropped item is easy, so far. But how could I manage to get a count? For example: One apple for one dust, one melon for two dusts. This is the part where my brain breaks, to be honest.

Help!

OLD POST

Hi there.

I had an idea about a wall made of sand which collapses when a certain mechanism is activated. Though, the wall of sand circulates a whole (secret) town, that you don't see from the outside.

When the wall drops, you may not be able to see any tracks of where the wall has collapsed. In other words: The highest point of the wall is the last block that falls, even to the ground.

I made a sketch for that (and will translate the words from German to English, of course):

http://abload.de/img/minecraftsandmauermit10sd5.png

(Update: I removed the picture since the problem is done)

VON OBEN = VIEW FROM ABOVE

SEITLICH = VIEW FROM THE SIDE

Mauer steht = Wall stands

Schaltung geschlossen = circuit 'off'

Mauer fällt = Wall collapses

Schaltung offen = circuit 'on'

sehr tiefes Loch = very deep hole (just as deep that the last block equals the ground which you stand on)

blue blocks = ice

green blocks = dirt / sand / whatever

yellow blocks = sand

arrows = show the direction

blue drop = water, fluid

torch = torch (duh)

Since I am not able to test this idea, it would be awesome if someone could build it.

The main idea (and also my problem) is: I want the wall to be four blocks width.

Two are not a problem, but adding those extra two makes it a complicated task. I thought of making them possible to stand on the piston-arms and then falling through the melted ice block.

Edited by Mopey

no it wont work, the problem is the torches, when you pull the pistons back the ice would pull above the torch then melt but that would leave a problem with the sand because if a sand block falls onto a torch it is destroyed and since you cant accurately time the falling of the sand due to the ice taking some time to melt next to a torch you cant accurately predict whether the sand will fall first destroying the water block and being destroyed on the torch or whether the water will run first destroying the torch and letting the sand fall into place

using this set up would end up with mixed results

the 4 block thickness does make it kind of hard however using the same princible you have there... why not just have glowstone attached to pistons to melt 4 blocks of ice or if your decent with redstone just have two pistons holding the sides up

Edited by RDrules

It did not work because of what you said, you were right. That's good. But then again, bad ):

Making many torches which destory the sand blocks didn't work, either. Which was funny, but alright.

I'm running out of ideas here.

Does anyone have a good idea, how to build a 4 block thick sand wall which can collapse?

http://www.abload.de/img/mcwallsyj90.png

http://www.abload.de/img/mcwallsyj90.png

Torches act as a full block, for the purpose of placing other objects or torches in the same area. Being treated as a block by sand and gravel this prevents them from falling down past a block with a torch on it. Instead, sand and gravel break when they fall on a torch. If they are placed directly above a torch they act as if they were on any other solid material, allowing them to be used as environmental triggers, such as airlocks.

Wow. The more you know.

That's alright, since it's a one-way-use for me, only.

Imagine a castle, or a hidden city, which walls fall down to reveal its secrets. It does not need to be raised up, again (: Kind of like opening a new area in an adventure game.

Another question!

I saw some videos of stores and shops inside of Minecraft where you buy items with currency.

Though, the currency can be anything you want it to be: Redstone dust, gold, whatever. That idea caught me and now I want to implement it!

Sand is a very easy currency to create, since you can place a sand block and let it fall to trigger a redstone-circuit. Nice, clean and easy. But I want to try it with redstone dust.

The whole project is easier with hoppers and droppers, I know. But for now, we Xboxers won't get it. So I am looking for serious alternatives.

My planning so far:

You put the redstone dust into a dispenser. The dispenser holds it. It holds the item as long as you take it out, again. Or you turn a switch on to make it shoot the redstone dust out, preferably onto a pressure plate. Here comes the tricky part:

One dropped item is easy, so far. But how could I manage to get a count? For example: One apple for one dust, one melon for two dusts. This is the part where my brain breaks, to be honest.

Help!

• 3 weeks later...
you can't distinguish between items with just a wooden pressure plate.. not sure how you would do it without a mod (which are only on the PC)

well on pc you wouldnt need a mod because you can use the hoppers and redstone charge things from 1.5 but none of thats in here yet

only thing i can think of now after some thought is something with water currents and pistons with wooden pressure plates but cant think of how exactly i would work it

Edited by RDrules