am i the only one who is getting sick of collectables in games

Lewie B I ReQ

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scotty

Dead Space 3's collectibles weren't that bad. But yeah, collectibles for the sake of collectibles fucking suck! It's fine it if adds something, like character upgrades(or the Playboy posters in Mafia II:cool:) but when there's loads or even any at all just for the sake of forcing more gameplay looking for them then it's rather annoying.

Dead Space 3's collectibles weren't that bad. But yeah, collectibles for the sake of collectibles fucking suck! It's fine it if adds something, like character upgrades(or the Playboy posters in Mafia II:cool:) but when there's loads or even any at all just for the sake of forcing more gameplay looking for them then it's rather annoying.

i hated dead space 3 collectables. they were a bunch of logs i didnt care about or circuits i didnt need because i was as overpowered as can be so they were just pointless collectables to me.

dead rising 3 is terrible for that tho like you said its just forcing more gameplay hack 20 cameras shoot 30 cameras find 20 whiskey oh man id go crazy if xb1 couldnt snap i spent most of my time on dead rising watching netflix while i got collectables

Guest Scotty
I haven't even tried in LA Noire. You have to see all the locations, then drive every car, shoot every gun, and find every movie reel. It's ridiculous.

I've done all these and the only thing that sticks out in my memory was the 'drive every car' achievement. That SUCKED! It took me ages to find and drive them all.

If there is a tracker and you can level select, or otherwise not miss any if it's an open world game then it's no big deal really, and as mcnichoj said, there's usually a guide for them within a couple of days.

I liked them in DR3.

In Murdered SS they felt really unnessesary but what would they have added in their place?

Valiant Hearts? Zero replayability without them.

Usually video guides up for them day one, so no big deal.

thats the thing there is always a video guide for collectables so why do they always do collectable achievements?

i dont really find collectables fun in anyway even if it does add extra gameplay that extra gameplay is boring.

I've only played two games where collectibles were done right: Fallout 3 and Halo 3.

Other than those games, collectibles suck donkey balls. They add no value to the game, usually are just there with no real PURPOSE of being there, and usually give no real incentive or reward to the game other than an achievement.

Guest Scotty
I've only played two games where collectibles were done right: Fallout 3 and Halo 3.

Other than those games, collectibles suck donkey balls. They add no value to the game, usually are just there with no real PURPOSE of being there, and usually give no real incentive or reward to the game other than an achievement.

Fallout 3's were brilliant because there was only like 7 of em'. They definitely did em' right. :D

I've done all these and the only thing that sticks out in my memory was the 'drive every car' achievement. That SUCKED! It took me ages to find and drive them all.

If there is a tracker and you can level select, or otherwise not miss any if it's an open world game then it's no big deal really, and as mcnichoj said, there's usually a guide for them within a couple of days.

There were some though that were do the normal police missions that weren't so bad if I did them along the way. But I missed one and having to switch between three discs to find the missing one got old.

Fallout 3's were brilliant because there was only like 7 of em'. They definitely did em' right. :D

Well 20. You say they were good but did you find them yourself or using a guide? I find it hard to believe anyone that found them without a guide has anything but the feeling of hatred towards the little bastards.

Guest Scotty
Well 20. You say they were good but did you find them yourself or using a guide? I find it hard to believe anyone that found them without a guide has anything but the feeling of hatred towards the little bastards.

I used a guide but there is only 1 or 2 missable bobble heads, so as long as you read about them before hand and were aware of where they were you could get the 2 missable ones then the rest at your leisure.

Besides 'good' was subjective. As far as collectibles go they were 'good', but they still sucked in the grand scheme of things. :p

You're not the only one. They add nothing to the game, in my opinion. It's basically for the developers that can't figure out a way to make their game replayable in a fun manner. GTA5 was terrible for this. Several hundred jumps, pieces of paper, nuclear waste, etc.

Actually, GTAIV was worse.

Because you can't just pick up the pigeons. Oh no, you have to shoot them, which on more than one occasion leads to a police pursuit.

And when you get them all, you get nothing but the achievement.

At least the collectibles in GTAV got you something, even if it was a just mission or a vehicle you wouldn't use.

i hated dead space 3 collectables. they were a bunch of logs i didnt care about or circuits i didnt need because i was as overpowered as can be so they were just pointless collectables to me.

Sure if you are not into the story behind a game i can see why lore collectibles mean nothing to you, but dead space 3 (and the first and second one) did they right IMO, not to far out of the way, and they provided something that was worth the effort. Same thing goes for the circuits.

Now a game like LA Noire for example did they horribly, the film reels provided nothing, the cars provided nothing (i mean other then a cool new car to drive around) The kicker is you had to go way out of your way in order to get them.

Sure if you are not into the story behind a game i can see why lore collectibles mean nothing to you, but dead space 3 (and the first and second one) did they right IMO, not to far out of the way, and they provided something that was worth the effort. Same thing goes for the circuits.

Now a game like LA Noire for example did they horribly, the film reels provided nothing, the cars provided nothing (i mean other then a cool new car to drive around) The kicker is you had to go way out of your way in order to get them.

yeah i can never be bothered to read text logs and what ever audio logs say never really sticks with me. who needs circuits when you have the devils horns :D the artifacts wasnt too bad i got nice circuits from them but the actual circuits you find are crap.

some games do em right il admit but everygame lately seems to be riddled with collectables and its getting a bit much now lol

Actually, GTAIV was worse.

Because you can't just pick up the pigeons. Oh no, you have to shoot them, which on more than one occasion leads to a police pursuit.

And when you get them all, you get nothing but the achievement.

At least the collectibles in GTAV got you something, even if it was a just mission or a vehicle you wouldn't use.

I played GTA IV, but I wasn't really interested in achievements that long ago, so I never went for the collectibles. Sounds like an even bigger pain in the ass.

You're thinking of New Vegas, Scotty :p

While they definitely can't all be found on your own because of their very well-hidden locations, at least they are the ONE collectible in video games that actually reward you SMARTLY by increasing your skills.

99% of collectibles just unlock an achievement or grant you a useless item. Since Fallout 3 is an RPG, collectibles increasing skills is pretty important. I still think it's one of two games that did them right.

The issue is that they are done terribly most of the time, and make all of the decent ones have a bad image.

A lot of them have good intentions, yet are terrible in execution. Like the hidden packages in the earlier Grand Theft Auto games. Yeah, they're kind of fun to stumble upon, and when you get the idea that they exist, you kinda look off the beaten path on occasion for them. The problem though, is that the payout is usually not that great. Yeah you get a cool helicopter on Vice City for getting them all, but, was it worth it?

Personally, I found the collectibles in Velvet Assassin rather frustrating. There aren't really that many of them, but the game doesn't save automatically when you pick them up, so if you die, you have to go back and pick them up all over again. Additionally, there's no mission select, so if you finish a mission without collecting every single one, you have to start the game all over again. Apart from that, Velvet Assassin is a great game!

I like them within reason. I HATE searching for hours trying to find something hidden in the most obscure spot and hate looking for 300 bloody collectibles... takes away from actually playing the game.

There should be limited amounts and should be available to find in normal gameplay... like Assasin's Creed or something.