Advice for making your shot at 1k more enjoyable

Cornkid

I think Tyger7's guide is awesome, except for one thing: I don't think you should try for Mostly Flesh and Steel in the same playthrough as Ghost, Clean Hands, and Shadow . The power Dark Vision makes the stealth playthrough MUCH less frustrating (you can see enemies through walls including their cone of vision at level I, level II lets you see cables coming off of security devices as well as location of things like coins and elixirs; only level I is important), and it's super cheap so you pretty much can get it right away

How I would recommend doing the playthroughs:

1. Read Tyger7's guide before playing! VERY important to do the miscellaneous high or low chaos cheevos on the playthroughs as recommended (NPCs can be in different spots; e.g. I missed the Unfortunate Accident ach on high chaos, so when I went back to do it on low chaos playthrough (using save and reload so as not to screw up clean hands) Morgan was not in the steam room, he was in the Ivory room (in the middle of the Golden Cat with lots of people around to spot me). Also note spots in the campaign where you need to use powers for achievements

2. Do High Chaos playthrough first (it's more fun to not stress about being randomly detected) and go for mostly flesh and steel. When you get to campaign parts that require powers for getting achievements (such as the weeper area for Tempest/Hornet's nest) save the game, then buy necessary powers, get the achievement, and reload. If you have a short attention span like me you can be sure you picked the correct save by checking the powers menu after loading (the only power you should have if you picked the correct reload is Blink I). Make sure to get as many runes as you can, because some of the achievements require powers leveled up, which takes alot of runes! And also get all the paintings on this playthrough

3. Low Chaos playthrough second (no killing, no detection). Buy Dark Vision as soon as you can and use it always! Go for as many runes as you can (bend time 2 and blink 2 also make things easier), and only spend money on buying sleep darts from Piero, upgrading your boots (to be more quiet), and buying mana elixirs. You should try to enter every mission with 10 sleep darts and 10 mana elixirs. With this power setup you can handle single enemies with ease, and groups of two later on by freezing time, shooting one enemy with sleep dart then choking the other before bend time 2 ends. Make sure to check that all enemies are unconscious when neutralized (I picked em all up and moved them to places where they were unlikely to be detected then put my cursor over them to make sure they were merely unconscious). I also upgraded my crossbow, but it's not really necessary.

I was so frustrated with this game trying to stack Mostly Flesh and Steel with Ghost, Clean Hands, and Shadow that I almost returned it (Gamefly) before beating the second level. It was way more enjoyable playing it the way I've suggested, though I missed a few cheevos and have to decide if I'm gonna go for em or not (Tyger7 is right on the money saying that the level select is horribly utilized).

I found doing 'Clean Hands' and 'Mostly Flesh and Steel' to be a lot more fun than doing them separate. It's not hard to do stealth at all, you just need to stick to the high ground and abuse the heck out of Blink. There are a few spots in the game that take a lot more strategy though... Flooded district being the major part. On that note.. I'd suggest if you are doing those two achievements together to avoid getting your equipment entirely when the option appears on flooded district because from my understanding the number of enemy's increases after you get your gear.

the key thing to do though... Use blink from a lean, You can lean out directly in front of someone and they won't notice you, As long as most of your body is behind cover; So use blink while leaning to get from hiding spot to hiding spot. You can also use the water to swim around to the area you want to get to then use blink to get up the cliff/wall that's blocking your way.

Also one of the best things to do is to avoid enemy's entirely, Choking out every enemy that is within your vicinity is just a waste of time and increases your chances of being caught because you just had to spend 5 seconds choking a guy out and another 10-20 seconds finding a good dumping spot for him. When instead you could have just gone around them.

Edited by Chevelle

everything you say is about how to stack them is true Chevelle, and is pretty much the crux of all the threads on how to stack them (we'll have to agree to disagree on how fun it is to try to stack them, as obviously I didn't find it fun at all when I tried).

It's also important to note that my advice does NOT add any extra playthroughs, and was posted because I had two problems that really frustrated me and were made much easier by having dark vision 1 and later on bend time 2 (and led to me posting my advice):

1. the non repeating patterns of the patrols gave me lots of problems when trying to do the nonlethal elimination of the Overseer

2. I had to replay both the prison and the next level because despite my meticulous use of save/reload (basically anytime I thought I might have been detected) I still got to the end of each without ghost being checked off on the stats screen. This is why I went to the minor trouble of eliminating the enemies instead of just going around them. There are very few areas on low chaos that have lots of enemies, and in the later levels having dark vision on, then using bend time 2 and blink you can get through those areas with ease.

I expect my advice will be used mostly by people who rent the game to get the achievements as easily as possible (i.e. don't want to spend lots of time thinking out the strategy for getting through areas), and will be ignored by people who want the max challenge while going for it.

This game was meant to be played differently over a couple of playthroughs. I feel as though trying to 1k this in one go kind of ruins the game. Too focused on getting achievements and not enough focus on enjoying the game.

I agree with this; it's kind of a cool way for the developers to give the game some replayability without being super long (like say Deus Ex's stealth playthrough, which I still have to finish)

I agree with this; it's kind of a cool way for the developers to give the game some replayability without being super long (like say Deus Ex's stealth playthrough, which I still have to finish)

I did both games in one playthrough and deus ex was far more enjoyable. No matter how you look at it I think dishonored was a bit too limiting with some of its achievements..kinda like Ninja gaiden 2. Still a good game though.

I have been playing the game for the last few days. On the last mission now. One thing I am really enjoying about my playthrough. I am doing full on non lethal and undetected, while doing the Mostly Flesh and Steel achievement.

I am also playing on Very Hard. It is probably the most challenging way to play this game and I have put in over 15 hours so far.

Yeah, you could do each of those achievements separately, but why not have some fun. That is how I love to play games like this. Makes it as realistic as possible accept all the do overs you have lol.

I still have a whole lot of other achievements I am going to have to get on my High Chaos playthrouh though. Then I am going to play it through a 3rd time to have all my default saves are 100% non lethal and undetected and all collectables.

But realistically everyone plays their own way and to each his/her own :p

Edited by Darkling26

You should do Clean Hands along with Mostly Flesh and Steel, Ghost and Shadow.

By not killing people, the Chaos level remains low and the number of enemies (especially rats and Weepers) will be pretty drastically reduced.

For instance, in a later level after you get the Sewer Key to progress, you'll come across an underground encampment. In high Chaos it is filled with about a dozen Weepers, in low Chaos it is the dwelling of a bunch of regular humans - you can just walk past them.

So basically it makes the run a little easier by removing quite a few enemy encounters.

Not to mention in the no-kill, low Chaos ending you don't have to find all of the conspirators, they are gathered in one room. Why they're gathered there is a spoiler, so I won't go into detail.

The only real hindrance to this playthrough style, though, is the inability to upgrade Blink, but it's still entirely manageable without said upgrade.

In fact, my most interesting playthrough was going for all of these cheevos at once.

• 2 weeks later...

I see three main options:

The easiest way

1. A high chaos playthrough combined with Flesh & Steel - you should still try to resolve things stealthily, but if you get into a fight your pistol will see you through even against several enemies at once.

2. A Clean Hands / Ghost run with all powers available.

The problem with this is that you don't get to enjoy a game where you go crazy and dominate crowds of guardsmen. Trust me, that's really fun and you'd be missing out.

The hardest way

1. A high chaos playthrough where you let yourself go.

2. A Clean Hands / Ghost / Mostly Flesh & Steel run

The compromise

1. A high chaos playthrough where you let yourself go

2A. Play Clean Hands / Ghost / Mostly Flesh & Steel until you reach the flooded district. Make an extra save. Then abandon stealth and finish the game as quickly as you can for Mostly Flesh & Steel.

2B. Reload your save, upgrade your powers and finish your Clean Hands / Ghost run. This way you have your full abilities for the toughest section of the game.

I went with 'the compromise' and it worked well. Finishing the game from the Flooded District doesn't really take long if you're not reloading (run 2A), and you'll save a lot of time on your 'clean' run (2B) if you have your powers. It might even be quicker for some people than doing it the hard way.

Whichever route you take:

I highly recommend making your first playthrough one in which you don't reload, and don't focus on the ending - just play the game (and the character) as you see it. This a game that really rewards that approach.

Also, don't forget you can always put the difficulty down to normal if you want to. That makes all the advice above a bit useless - you can just breeze through then!

• 2 weeks later...

I did my high chaos run the same way I play every game the first time: not giving a damn and just having fun.

Played with the powers, spent time looking for alternate routes poking my nose all over and killing anyone that found me doing so. Sneaky sneaked my way through areas that I found fighting through to be more trouble than it's worth.

Gotta say the high chaos ending reminded me of Bioshock 2's evil ending, Emily made me sad. We lead by example, and a poor example we are.

Just fired up my second run, and am doing the no alerts and no kills and going to be using powers to make that as easy as possible. Leaving Mostly Flesh and Steel for a final don't give a rats ass speed run blinking and killing my way through as quick as possible.

Maybe three runs is too much for some, but I'm enjoying the game immensely. The only achievements that have given me trouble so far are the 5 suicides and 6 people in 1 second. I've dropped at least a dozen hapless idiots into wall of lights and nothing, and with 6 people... damn fools keep getting in each others lines of fire so they kill each other as I'm killing them. Only managed 5 so far.

Or, if you want the game to last longer, you could do three playthroughs, and do Clean Hands, Ghost, and Mostly Flesh And Steel in seperate playthroughs. Not very practical for a quicker 1000g, but it'll probably expand your enjoyment of the game for a few more hours, and make it somewhat easier.

Maybe three runs is too much for some, but I'm enjoying the game immensely. The only achievements that have given me trouble so far are the 5 suicides and 6 people in 1 second. I've dropped at least a dozen hapless idiots into wall of lights and nothing, and with 6 people... damn fools keep getting in each others lines of fire so they kill each other as I'm killing them. Only managed 5 so far.

For some reason, the 'Harm's Way' achievement can not be unlocked by forcing guards to commit suicide. It has to be done on civilians. The best mission to get this achievement is 'Lady Boyle's Last Party'. There's a Wall of Light in the main lobby and a dozen or so civilians.

Also, make sure you have plenty of mana potions, as using the power that takes control of people takes half of your mana bar away.

For some reason, the 'Harm's Way' achievement can not be unlocked by forcing guards to commit suicide. It has to be done on civilians. The best mission to get this achievement is 'Lady Boyle's Last Party'. There's a Wall of Light in the main lobby and a dozen or so civilians.

Also, make sure you have plenty of mana potions, as using the power that takes control of people takes half of your mana bar away.

That's where I've been trying it, but think I know what I was doing wrong, after I'd made my attempts, I read the save file post, think I'll go back and do that one later after I finish my no kill run. :woop:

That's where I've been trying it, but think I know what I was doing wrong, after I'd made my attempts, I read the save file post, think I'll go back and do that one later after I finish my no kill run. :woop:

When I attempted the Harms Way I firstly walked someone in the wall of light and reloaded thinking that would be the easiest way ... and maybe this was my just on my game but the achievement never unlocked.

When I removed the two guards from near the wall of light (possess and walk them to the bathroom and then knock them out) ... I then managed to do 5 one after the other and bingo !!

To Note -- I did get spotted and pretty much had to move about quickly grabbing people before they ran off - but I managed to get 5 and got the achievement.

Found best that just as you leave the body have bend time ready and activate it which allows you to put your blade away before it freaks any of the guests or wandering guards out.

Edited by Bulldog LXXIII