What do you guys consider as * game completion* ?

oopsifelldown

Just curious, which of the following options come closest to your view about personal game completion.

I am satisfied when :

1. I complete the single player game on any difficulty

2. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. )

3. I complete all achievements

4. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. ) including all achievements EVEN if the achievements do NOT count toward 100% game completion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, which of the following options come closest to your view about personal game completion.

I am satisfied when :

2. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. )

4. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. ) including all achievements EVEN if the achievements do NOT count toward 100% game completion.

I'm going to say number one, mainly because I never play any of the online Multiplayer or try to acquire any of those achievements

You are asking personal opinions so answers will vary depending on the responding individuals gaming style. However, this is an achievement website, so I feel the answer must come from this perspective.

I view games as having 2 types of completions.

First, the retail completion. This consists of the original 1000/400/200.

The other is the xbox.com or full completion which consists of the original 1000/400/200 plus whatever DLC acheivements have been added on.

You are asking personal opinions so answers will vary depending on the responding individuals gaming style. However, this is an achievement website, so I feel the answer must come from this perspective.

I view games as having 2 types of completions.

First, the retail completion. This consists of the original 1000/400/200.

The other is the xbox.com or full completion which consists of the original 1000/400/200 plus whatever DLC acheivements have been added on.

Not every topic here is strictly about achievements, but if you base your game competition on achievements does that mean you won't bother completing any other game 100% on other systems?

For me it has to be number 4 for JRPG's. I just enjoy reading everything and collecting everything. When im done my characters are pretty much OP.

For other games it just number 3. Eg CoD. I know i will never play the game again or its multiplayer once i complete all the achievements. The only time i will play it is whenever my friends are on it. Then again it is very unlikely because i do not like CoD.

My opinion is what the general site's stance on completions is: 100% achievements, including DLC and 0:gsicon: achievements. To go a bit beyond that, if there are say, collectibles or maxing characters that aren't achievements, I still call it a completion. If I just finish the story and not the achievements, I specify what I finished. If I got all those collectibles, maxed characters, I'll say that as well.

Generally speaking getting 100% of the achievements a game has to offer. All DLC, all 0 pointers. Talking about achievement completions this is the only way that makes sense to me.

There are rare exceptions where I will add more for myself to do in the game that is beyond the achievement list. Best example would be Yugioh 5D Decade Duels, I keep playing it in order to eventually unlock all the cards and then on top of that I want to beat every single character and I have not once beaten Crow in a match. His speedy play style can just be too much sometimes.

Im a mix between 3 and 4. For 4, that mostly applies to RPGs when i want to do every quest and collect every item even if its not for an achievement. Other than that I play for completion in which i beat single player and get all achievements.

I consider a game completed when I stop enjoying the game. So, under that definition, very few of the games I've played over the years are completed, as I still enjoy playing most of them. But, if what you're asking is when I feel I've done everything there is to be done in a game, I suppose that would be when I've unlocked every achievement (or most, I don't count it when a game has a fairly large number of stupid multiplayer achievements) and done every quest. Those kinds of things, though they might vary somewhat from game to game.

It depends greatly on the game. I've always loved it when games actually told you a percentage (I think the first I played that did that was Super Mario World on SNES), and in that case then I would go for whatever the game considered to be 100% completion, or more, since some games had secrets that made the percentage go above 100% (such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which maxed out at something like 215%).

On the current generation I look at achievements/trophies as the percentage, so I go for 100% on those, and that includes all DLC and any achievements worth 0 points. Basically, I want it to appear under the "completed games" section of the dashboard, and I want to check off every single achievement on the checklist on this site. There are circumstances though where that isn't actually the end though. Some games have additional things you can do that do not give achievements, in which case I go on a game by game basis. If I really enjoy a game then I may continue playing it to complete other goals after getting all the achievements.

As for older generations and games which had no percentage, then again, it depends greatly on the game. Typically if a game has a difficulty setting then I'll start on normal and play through the story. If there are any kind of collectibles or in-game challenges then I'll go for those. Then once I've beaten the game and completed side goals it'll vary on whether I'll do anything else. If I really enjoyed the game then I'll likely run through it again on the highest difficulty, If I didn't like it or it was just so-so then I'll probably be done after one play through. The story is also a factor. A game may have a great story, but sometimes after you've seen it once it's not worth playing through again (example: Heavy Rain on PS3. I'd like to finish a second play through to complete the platinum, but after beating it once and knowing how the story ends I'm finding it hard to push myself through it again.)

The one thing I don't really consider towards the completion, ever, is multiplayer. On current gen I'll play it just enough to get any achievements tied to it, but in general I really don't like competitive multiplayer in most games. There are exceptions, such as local versus in fighting games, but in FPSs and such I can't stand it. I'll play co-op, but online competitive multiplayer is the bane of my existence. Then again, that could be because of the online community. Not really a fan of having my sexuality questioned by prepubescent spoiled brats, among other insults, but that's a discussion for a whole different topic...

Anyways... Long story short, this is basically an impossible question to answer as it varies so greatly from game to game and system to system. But since this is an Xbox 360 site dedicated to achievements I'm sure most people will just say that finishing the achievements is all.

For me to "compleat" a game i am happy with compleating the singleplayer and possible coop campain in the game but if i like the game i perfect it by getting all the achievements. This often makes me play enough of the game to feel happy with it.

Kinda depends on the game. For me mw3 for instance you can complete all achievements. And not unlock everything in multiplayer thats not complete i am still title hunting in that damn game. Some games to me ti truely complete must get all endings like crono trigger.

This ^ is my response.