PTRS1941 Custom Rifle

its delicious

The PTRS1941 Custom Rifle. I can't decide if it's worth equipping. The upside is tremendous. Generally one-shot kills on infantry and notable damage to vehicles.

The downside is its 150 weight. Too slow! I've already engaged the enemy twice over by the time I get to use the rifle once. The AI does a good job of staying out of its range and taking cover, so Cover Attack and Cover Ambush haven't worked well for this weapon.

I have equipped it on Cynthia, though I only discovered last night that Operation Darkness does not recognize the PTRS1941 as a sniper rifle for the purposes of her MS powers. (The PTRS1941 is inaccurately described as a sniper rifle in the GameFAQs FAQ).

The overall best strategy is to equip light and get as many turns as possible. That makes perfect sense. So before I ditch the PTRS1941, I'd like to hear other thoughts. Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Interesting idea! I'll try it out tonight.

Typically, I have both Jack and Van Helsing ultra-light with a couple grenades, so that they can act first and run far, to distract and disrupt the AI formations. The strategy has worked well enough, only because their speed makes them great scavengers and they have Auto-Restoration.

I tried out the PTRS1941 with Jack last night on AR 14 and Mission 20, and my experience with the custom rifle was notably better. Jack's large range of movement helps balance out the weight of the gun. With a Cover Move, he was able to get into position easily on his first turn and the range of the rifle just about covered the map from there.

"Do you want to stop covering?"

"No." :AR15

On my second playthrough (Mission 16 complete, 12 hours, woo!) and a strange thing happened in Mission 16. I wanted the PTRS1941 rifle again, but when I killed the Oberschultze, I checked the corpse with Van Helsing and there was no rifle. I wasted ten minutes going back and forth, making sure I didn't miss any snipers. I brought Jack over and he found the PTRS1941 rifle on the same corpse that Van Helsing had already checked twice. Whatev!