First DLC and Patch 1.020 Details

xhunterrrr

A new blogpost details the first DLC and patch 1.020:

As proof of us striving towards being better we have another major update coming, known as the TV Tie-in or Patch 1.020, and it’s coming out this month. It has further bug fixes, improvements, as well as new TV Tie-ins – one of which will utilize a new open world game mode called Sieges. Details are obviously slim, but it’s a crossover event so that should give you an indication of what this game mode entails in future DLCs.

Which incidentally this blog is intended to be about, the future. That potential.

We do our DLCs a bit differently with Defiance. Every time we do a DLC, of which we have 5 planned this year, we have a free component, a paid component and a store update. The free part is for everyone. We want people to be playing with their friends; we don’t like to isolate players.

That doesn’t mean there won’t be exclusive content in the DLCs, quite the contrary. The difference is that you can usually bring your friends with you. The catch is that they can’t directly benefit from all of it, like DLC specific loot or gain abilities.

Here is an example: The first DLC which we delayed to address live issues but is now en route I am calling: ENTER THE CASTITHAN till marketing comes up with a better name. Why Castithan? Why, it’s because you’ll be able to play a Castithan. Nifty. Here’s the tentative list of items:

ENTER THE CASTITHAN

(or imagine flashy name that evoke deep emotions)

You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:

– Access to play the Castithan Species

– Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode

– Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas

– Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line

– A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom

– A unique Castithan version of an outfit

– A Charge Weapons Starter Pack

– Access to New Pursuits

– New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements

You get this in the DLC for free:

– Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades

– Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode

– Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall

– Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy

– Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode

– Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode

– Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons

– Select a new voice for you character

– Multitude of game improvements from UI to content

You can buy these individually from the store:

– New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade

– Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons

– More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation

– Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

I am looking forward to appearance/name changes, personally. I've wanted that since day 1. I hope it means I can change my character to Castithan so I don't have to start a new one. Overall, the first DLC (both paid and unpaid) content is shaping up nicely!

Edited by xhunterrrr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait for this DLC. The new Monolith Arkfall sounds awesome. Also Siege mode, I wonder if this will be some sort of horde/defence mode. I really hope it is. Maybe by the time this DLC comes out I will finally be lvl 2500.

I'll withhold judgement for now. I don't have a lot of faith in this DLC launching correctly when they still can't get Freight working lol. A new PvP map? /shudder. I hate to think of how badly this will break the game when it goes live!

Agreed! I want to be hopeful, I really like this game and the DLC sounds awesome but they haven't exactly inspired hope with thir last few patches ...

Do you have to play as a Castithan to experience the DLC fully? Because it's stupid. I have played over 100+hrs with my current character, I still have a long way to go until I hit 2500 EGO and after that I wouldn't want to start again.

Fail much? Why not just include more races with the start of the game, rather than a month after release?

Not meaning to bash Trion, but seriously? Not very well thought out IMO.

You can buy these individually from the store:

– Character Customization changes: Appearance change

So to change my character's appearance, let's say: hair color, I'll have to spend RL money to do so? Lame...

P.S. - Until I get some sort of bank or storage system to put my extra stuff away without cluttering my inventory. I won't be happy with any DLC's they give out.

Edited by KriugerisLT

Do you have to play as a Castithan to experience the DLC fully? Because it's stupid. I have played over 100+hrs with my current character, I still have a long way to go until I hit 2500 EGO and after that I wouldn't want to start again.

Fail much? Why not just include more races with the start of the game, rather than a month after release?

So to change my character's appearance, let's say: hair color, I'll have to spend RL money to do so? Lame...

I agree, either first use is free for the new character or be able to use script.

Edited by xxJUSTINxx

Exactly. We buy the DLC, give us a one-time choice. Customize everything to our liking (race, skin color, facial features etc.) afterwards, it will cost Bits, if I want to change something again.

My money is on them bringing more races with future DLC. Sensoths maybe even, so if they do something like adding more playable races again, give the players the same option you gave before. It's unfair to pay 10$ for the DLC, if I can't have the full benefits of it on my current character.

You can argue, that WoW releases a new expansion with new characters and you HAVE to start over, but don't forget that they come out like once in like 2-3 years. Plenty of time to get bored with one character, so you might want to start another.

Not one month for fucks sake...

P.S. - Also character races in WoW have different stats, traits and passive abilities while races in Defiance (so far) have no special skills or traits to separate them apart. It's just window dressing :/

Edited by KriugerisLT

Oh goody, a whole load more features that they can mess up constantly. I love how they said they held this DLC back to fix all of the bugs and yet the two biggest issues (Freight Yard and constantly resetting Pursuits) are still broken.

I guess their desire for money overcame their desire to fix the core game. I'm actually gutted that there are new achievements too, I knew it would happen but I'd hoped that I could get the 1k and then be done with it.

I hope they at least use common sense this time and tie the tasks in with stuff we can actually accomplish rather than putting them all on this new Siege mode - which then explodes day one and is never seen again except for one hour every four weeks.

No doubt it will only be a matter of time before they shoehorn in some kind of ludicrous 4-5k EGO achievement too. Weak.

No doubt it will only be a matter of time before they shoehorn in some kind of ludicrous 4-5k EGO achievement too. Weak.

It's smart practice, to include achievements that give the game longevity, but the game MUST have quality in order to succeed in that direction. This game, however, is still barely out of the Beta.

The 4-5k EGO achievement might come in with let's say a 3rd or 4th DLC pack. The last one might include (COMPLETE ALL pursuits) now THAT would be a bitch.

I'm not mad that they're including the DLC's this early. I'd wish that they addressed the current issues with the game, without jumping the gun on more content, that might even cause a bigger "shit hits the fan" scenario.

The bank system... I guess they don't want to include it, since Inventory Slots are sold with Bits. Kinda negates the whole point of Inventory Slots, right?

It's smart practice, to include achievements that give the game longevity, but the game MUST have quality in order to succeed in that direction. This game, however, is still barely out of the Beta.

The 4-5k EGO achievement might come in with let's say a 3rd or 4th DLC pack. The last one might include (COMPLETE ALL pursuits) now THAT would be a bitch.

I'm not mad that they're including the DLC's this early. I'd wish that they addressed the current issues with the game, without jumping the gun on more content, that might even cause a bigger "shit hits the fan" scenario.

The bank system... I guess they don't want to include it, since Inventory Slots are sold with Bits. Kinda negates the whole point of Inventory Slots, right?

Not really, they could easily also sell bank slots.

Player vs Player:

- More settings = Ability to limit weapons, powers, EGO Rating / Perks

- MORE MAPS! (Didn’t see this one coming)

- Better Loot that’s unique to PvP

- Vehicle based PvP

- Spectator Mode

- Private Matches (Clan vs. Clan)

- Tournament system

More PVE Content:

Group/raid instances requiring 4/8/16 players and a room temperature IQ with legitimate fights and unique loot tables.

Bulk Buy:

Buying multiple items from a vendor such as key codes.

Mark all equipped items (All Loadouts)

Mark weapons that are equipped in any load out within the inventory screen or Salvage matrix.

Scalable UI:

A way to scale the UI for both PC and Console.

Group Waypoints:

Group/Party waypoints and the ability for any group member to set them.

Auction House: (Player Economy)

Implement auction house

Player Storage:

Offer the ability outside of character inventory to store items.

Clan Storage:

Add some sort of clan wide storage/bank

Weapon Stats / Scaling on Common thru Legendary:

Tweaks to EGO scaling and weapon rarity scaling

EGO Rated PvP:

EGO-based PvP matchmaking system, ie 100-199, 200-299, 300-399, etc as well as open-ego PvP option that would have no criteria, would allow EGO/weapon scaling without unbalancing PvP

Group Size:

Group size cap raised and adjusted to match PvP team requirements (8 and 16 and higher for Shadow War)

Clan Queuing:

Clan queues for competitive maps (allow clans to queue 8 people from their clan to play true competitive play)

Improved Chat Options:

Permanent chat window (optional), as well as fix the chat window.

Open World Bosses:

Random world (shard) boss spawns

Incentivized Co-op:

Co-op loot tables or randomized loot upon completion

Searching for Group:

Pickup search system to go with 4/8 dungeons/instances if implemented, as well as option to go into them with a premade group of 4/8

Weapon Mods and Vehicle Mods Professions:

Weapon/Mod crafting (maybe even vehicle?)

Trade Options:

Ability to trade ark salvage

Loot Gratification:

Flashier weapons/armor variations

Open World PvP:

Specific zones that are “contested” or similar, in which have the option to become flagged for PvP against any players in that region who aren’t grouped with you or in your clan. Duels, w/ option to bet scrip/resources/items on duel (not required)

Arkfall Loot Tables:

Those who perform better should get better loot.

Bulk Buy/Sell:

Allow bulk selling/scrapping (select multiple items and then sell/scrap, rather than having to go through the command for each item)

Improved Clan Features:

- Option for clan leader/officers to set a ‘clan waypoint’

- Option for clans to purchase a base/hub that could be fast traveled to from the quick menu at any time. Could be bought with scrip and contain various vendors.

- Clan sigils/ outfits

Improved Phasing & Grouping:

Better phase management with friends and clan mates

Competitive Play:

Ranked ‘arena’ games (Match made 2v2, 3v3 etc. with tracked true skill matchmaking)

Dynamic Events:

World/shard-wide dynamic challenges that occur occasionally for clans/players; most experience gained by one player in x time (1 hour, 24 hours, so on) most Arkfalls completed, etc. with small rewards for winners

This is what they are considering to include based on player feedback. They have said it won't all get in but there are a couple of (highlighted) points about a 'bank'.

In relation to the DLC as well, they were due to release it on 15 April alongside the show but put it back due to all the bugs and glitches.

Isn't that just the big old wish list that they posted on the forums as 'what players wanted' and then bookended it with statements saying they would pretty much never have time to implement it all?

Obviously most people on the Defiance forums just saw a big list and said 'YAY LOOK AT ALL OF THE STUFF TRION IS GIVING US' without reading about the fact most of it would never even be considered. I very much doubt that most of, if any, of that will make it into the game as it is basically not in the developers best interest.

The bank thing is especially unlikely as they are currently charging people for extra inventory slots. So somewhere to store all of your goodies would negate that entirely. I saw one guy say he had over 300+ inventory slots, which implies he has spent a shitload of money. Trion are not going to nerf that revenue stream.

I think the sooner people stop seeing Trion as this big, friendly company who are only making a game to please us, the fans, rather than just another game making machine out to make as much money as possible, the better. Seriously, they are adding features and DLC to make more money - not because they want fans to get everything they want and be happy.

P.S. - Until I get some sort of bank or storage system to put my extra stuff away without cluttering my inventory. I won't be happy with any DLC's they give out.

It never said you had to play as Castithan to experience the story DLC. It is a new character skin. Just like the other two, they play no part other than how you look.

They include more races as they make them. Seems pretty obvious and normal to me.

I don't really see how this DLC isn't well thought out. It is a TENTATIVE list.

Isn't that just the big old wish list that they posted on the forums as 'what players wanted' and then bookended it with statements saying they would pretty much never have time to implement it all?

Obviously most people on the Defiance forums just saw a big list and said 'YAY LOOK AT ALL OF THE STUFF TRION IS GIVING US' without reading about the fact most of it would never even be considered. I very much doubt that most of, if any, of that will make it into the game as it is basically not in the developers best interest.

The bank thing is especially unlikely as they are currently charging people for extra inventory slots. So somewhere to store all of your goodies would negate that entirely. I saw one guy say he had over 300+ inventory slots, which implies he has spent a shitload of money. Trion are not going to nerf that revenue stream.

I think the sooner people stop seeing Trion as this big, friendly company who are only making a game to please us, the fans, rather than just another game making machine out to make as much money as possible, the better. Seriously, they are adding features and DLC to make more money - not because they want fans to get everything they want and be happy.

No, they said they have heard players' feedback and wishes and that is a compiled list of the most asked for things and things they are going to try/consider implementing in the future. They never said they were DEFINITELY going to bring them into the game, but they never said they definitely weren't going to. I am willing to be bet we will see a good chunk of that list show up in game.

I find it funny that I don't care about any of the paid aspects except achievements. I know they can't release all DLC achievements for free, but it seems like a money hungry move on Trion's part.

How? Because they charge for additional content like almost every single other dev? Be happy they are releasing ANY of the content for free. You don't see many devs releasing a massive chunk of DLC free and only make you pay if you want the other part.

It never said you had to play as Castithan to experience the story DLC. It is a new character skin. Just like the other two, they play no part other than how you look.

They include more races as they make them. Seems pretty obvious and normal to me.

I don't really see how this DLC isn't well thought out. It is a TENTATIVE list.

No, they said they have heard players' feedback and wishes and that is a compiled list of the most asked for things and things they are going to try/consider implementing in the future. They never said they were DEFINITELY going to bring them into the game, but they never said they definitely weren't going to. I am willing to be bet we will see a good chunk of that list show up in game.

How? Because they charge for additional content like almost every single other dev? Be happy they are releasing ANY of the content for free. You don't see many devs releasing a massive chunk of DLC free and only make you pay if you want the other part.

It's the simple fact that this game is supposed to be an MMO with a massive amount of story to complete with other filler content to keep you busy. Instead all we got was a tiny sandbox game with a short lack luster story and repeating side quest for every region.

I'm not saying they shouldn't charge for DLC, but they need to add in a ton more free content. Every other F2P game out there offer almost endless quest/location/ect. They even continue to add content for free. What does Defiance do? Adds in easy pursuits that don't work half the time as they always have to auto-complete one for you.

Edited by xxJUSTINxx