Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Confirmations

judd90

http://wethegamerz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Battlefield-3-590x225.jpg

DICE has mostly been focusing on giving out information about single player, but finally they have confirmed some details about multiplayer. Mulitplayer is a big part of the Battlefield series because before Battlefield Bad Company, there was no single player. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one of my favorite shooters and reading through some of the details about Battlefield 3 there seem to be heading in the right direct, fixing things that needed to be fixed and keeping the things that have worked well in the past.

Confirmed

Players: 64 players on PC, 24 players on Xbox 360/PS3.

No Commander: Commander feature won’t be included, as DICE will focus on “lowering the threshold” for players.

4 classes: Just like in Bad Company 2. DICE feels this is the sweet spot for the game.

Battlefield 2 maps: Several BF2 maps will return in a DLC called “Back to Karkand”. The maps are: Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula.

New squad features: DICE plans to take the squad system to the next level, offering new features. According to the Game Informer interview, DICE says, “We have some really cool things that we’ll show later when it comes to dictating how you play with friends“.

Weapons and unlocks: BF3 will have more weapons and unlocks than in Bad Company 2, which itself had the most weapons and unlocks of any Battlefield game to date.

Deeper persistence, rankings: One of the issues with Bad Company 2 was that most of the weapons were unlocked before reaching half of the ranks. Says DICE in the GI interview, “we’re also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach the top rank. It doesn’t just end. There will be a lot of focus on persistence and how we present stuff to the player.”

Jets will return: So far only the US F18 and Russian Mig 29 have been spotted in various trailers.

Prone will return: DICE will counter prone will killcam, bullet traces and other ways in order to balance the gameplay.

Killcam: Killcam will be back and it will be a feature that can be turned on/off on server to server basis.

DICE will have more focus on post-release content (DLC)

Co-op for the single player campaign

No mod tools at release.

Unconfirmed, but likely

In-game movie recording is technically possible, but DICE is looking into how to incorporate it into the final product.

3 war-theaters: New York, Paris, Tehran, although it is unsure whether this is for the singleplayer campaign, multiplayer, or both.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is Battlefield 3? is it a sequel to Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 2? that's the part i'm getting confused at.

Either way can't wait!

How new are you to the Battlefield franchise? Wording says Battlefield 3 and not Battlefield: Bad Company 3.

I'm surprised some of you don't even know or are not sure this is a sequel to BF2 and are confused if it's a sequel to BFBC2. It's been in the gaming news fairly frequently. It was announced during MoH (2010)'s development.

/facepalm

xbox360achievements.org News Archive:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...E-Founder.html

Edited by OceanH

• 2 weeks later...
F*ch the killcam & f*ck 24 players! We want more players!!!

lol really? Not this again.

I think 24 players is the perfect number for consoles. I feel that we shouldn't be pushing it (yes, I'm looking at you Homefront), and come out with an extremely final product. If you want more players than get it on the PC.

• 1 month later...

I also heard that the aerial vehicles will have a separate out of bounds lines from the ground pounders and land vehicles. Probably to prevent the aerial vehicles from feeling so boxed in.

That would make helicopters a lot more powerful, but if jets are in the game they would obviously be the counter to helicopters.

• 2 weeks later...
64 players? How does this work without lags? Even on PC i don´t think this runs perfect, besides that it´s a realy shoot and respawn game and not realy tactical...24 players are ok for gaming.

64 players is only a fraction of games like MAG which can have up to 256 players in a battle.

The way 64 players works is that the out of bounds lines in the PC version are much larger than the console version allowing for more space. Everything in the PC version is scaled to accomodate the increased player count.

Everything in the PC version is scaled to accomodate the increased player count.

That's the part that kills me. I don't feel like I'm missing out with 24 people, but I do feel like I'm missing out on the total experience of the maps. I know it would suck to have only 24 people on the "larger" version of each map, but I still want to see it damnit :p

They should have made it so that the console people play on a different area of the larger map each time, rather than just giving us a condensed version.