Disc unreadable...

a7x4lyf3

Apparently there is an ongoing problem of the disc being unreadable even with brand new copies of the game, just bought my copy yesterday at the release, trying to load up installation disc 1, keep getting disc unreadable...

This video shows that it is not just me, although this guy is getting further with his than I am with mine, I press play on mine and it instantly says disc unreadable...

Some games use the cache for accumulative achievements (Dragon Age with Darkspawn kills) so of course I clear my cache and reset my kill counter....of course it didn't help my issue.

I cleared my cache constantly when I had a 360, it didn't do jack. I still had disc read errors and problems, hell I had disc read errors on arcade games. Everyone always says clear your cache and everything will be fixed, it's hardly ever the case.

I'd try exchanging the game if it's happening every time you play and hope it's just the disc.

Exchange the game. I had to do it twice. I knew it wasn't my 360 because after the second time that it didn't work I had my friend bring over their copy. It installed and worked just fine. First time disc 2 was unreadable and second time both were unreadable. Third time the disc worked just fine.

Looks like a some more people had a problem.

For me, my console takes like 20 seconds to read the disc and recognize it as GTA V. I wonder if that is a sign of my console starting to die? Would explain a lot of things.

Thats not the best sign i will say, dust on the lens maybe (hopefully), next option is the laser is beginning to die or the lens has lost some of its focus.

Apparently there is an ongoing problem of the disc being unreadable even with brand new copies of the game, just bought my copy yesterday at the release, trying to load up installation disc 1, keep getting disc unreadable...

This video shows that it is not just me, although this guy is getting further with his than I am with mine, I press play on mine and it instantly says disc unreadable...

i just watched your vid, did you already install the first disc, or are you trying to boot the "Play" disc first?

i would delete those installs if you did, put in the one that says "Install", boot it, let it install, then it will say insert "play" disc, and it still has to install 1-2 more gigs and it will start, once the gameplay starts go back to the dashboard and press X to install the "play" disc then everything will be on the HDD and should work. you may have to disable the auto-boot feature in system settings.

this is assuming your NEW xbox isnt one of those 4 gig hard drive units or whatever, you need atleast 8 gigs just for the manditory install, around 16 total, that might be the issue if you're trying to play the "play" disc before the "install" and it just gives that error because it doesnt have one that specifically covers this issue, since theres not alot of mandatory install games.

Edited by eiVaL

i just watched your vid, did you already install the first disc, or are you trying to boot the "Play" disc first?

i would delete those installs if you did, put in the one that says "Install", boot it, let it install, then it will say insert "play" disc, and it still has to install 1-2 more gigs and it will start, once the gameplay starts go back to the dashboard and press X to install the "play" disc then everything will be on the HDD and should work. you may have to disable the auto-boot feature in system settings.

this is assuming your NEW xbox isnt one of those 4 gig hard drive units or whatever, you need atleast 8 gigs just for the manditory install, around 16 total, that might be the issue if you're trying to play the "play" disc before the "install" and it just gives that error because it doesnt have one that specifically covers this issue, since theres not alot of mandatory install games.

This is isn't my video... I was only using it as a source to inform all of you that it is not my console and seems to be an ongoing issue for lots of people. I haven't installed anything, both discs are popping up not readable, I haven't even gotten to attempt to install the performance disc. As far as my knowledge goes though I believe Rockstar are already aware of this issue and working up a patch.

.... both discs are popping up not readable.... I believe Rockstar are already aware of this issue and working up a patch....

You can't patch an unreadable disc. Game updates aren't even checked for until after the disc has been read & told to load the game. :confused:

I had this problem too, was looking forward to playing after work yesterday and it kept saying disc unreadable or just open tray. Had the same problem with Defiance. So after about an hour of opening and closing the tray with no results I thought maybe I'd try putting in a difference game to give the disc spinning/reading thingy majiggy some momentum so I loaded up Diablo 3 and then put in GTA and it worked.

But by the time I had gotten into the game I was so tired and just fell asleep after about 30 minutes of playing.

Woke up bright and early at 7 this morning and had the same problem but only took 30 minutes to get into it. (Don't know of a solid solution but I'm scared to switch my xbox off or dashboard only to have to wait patiently for it to read.)

Same for me disk unrecognized had major issues installing as second disk froze twice during normal install of disk 1... Which caused corrupted file and re download took me almost and hr and half to install and play once in no issue but after I couldn't play game until in ejected and shut disk tray 20 times or so ten it finally read. It's not my console does it on my 3 consoles all different models. Also disk feels very thin compared to other disks idk if that's the issue but its a pain in the ass and a definitely real ossue

CAN CONFIRM: New disk has fixed the problem, loads just fine. Must seem as though some disks dont like the old console? Mine is from around 2007. Neither disks worked on mine but fine on my brothers elite, but now I just got the disk exchanged and both load fine on mine.
I just exchanged my copy today for a brand new one, still getting unreadable... I'm about to just let this go, not worth driving back and forth pissing my gamestop employees off because I wanna keep switching discs and wasting gas till I hit the mark.