How To Do This Jump on Magic Marker?

Mister Buds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMsNzqiO37o]Trials Evolution - DLC - " Magic Marker " Updated Time 44 seconds! - YouTube[/ame]

The jump in question is the one starting at the checkpoint at 41 seconds. In every video for this level people blow past this jump with no trouble. I've watched Zleek and Maka's tutorial guides for it but neither of their methods can get me past this.

I have used up my 500 faults three times now on this jump. I simply can't see how to get past it. I think speed is the main problem I'm having I can't get anywhere near enough speed to come close to the upper ramp.

Any help?

The jump in question is the one starting at the checkpoint at 41 seconds. In every video for this level people blow past this jump with no trouble. I've watched Zleek and Maka's tutorial guides for it but neither of their methods can get me past this.

I have used up my 500 faults three times now on this jump. I simply can't see how to get past it. I think speed is the main problem I'm having I can't get anywhere near enough speed to come close to the upper ramp.

Any help?

I don't think speed matters as much as getting a good hop off the top of the ramp. The trick I learned is to use the following method:

(I use the Gecko, but it can be translated to any of the bikes, I think.)

1. From the checkpoint, adjust your rider so he is leaning back
  2. Slowly roll up to the slope/ramp until you are in the "bend" of the ramp. Stop so your rider is sort of resting at the bend.
  3. Slowly throttle up until you are at the top of the ramp, making sure not to lift your front tire. Near the top of the ramp, gas it hard and
  4. bunny hop over the gap (:dleft: :dright:)
  5. push forward when you land while feathering the gas
  6. slowly gas it to crawl up the slope

Here's a video of my (12 fault) gold run, with the jump you are referring to at the 1:06 mark:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsrKY1BFCJU]Trials Evolution - Magic Marker (12 faults) - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Don Jose

I was going to post my video, as I have sat long and hard at that checkpoint, and that's the best consistent strategy I could come up with.

From the checkpoint, (using the Phoenix), use full throttle and lean back. When you back tire approaches the ramp, keep full throttle and lean fully forward, making sure both tires have full traction. Once 3/4 up the ramp, pull a bunny hop, leaning forward into the next ramp, leading with your back tire if possible. Lightly gas to the top.

I don't think speed matters as much as getting a good hop off the top of the ramp. The trick I learned is to use the following method:

(I use the Gecko, but it can be translated to any of the bikes, I think.)

1. From the checkpoint, adjust your rider so he is leaning back
  2. Slowly roll up to the slope/ramp until you are in the "bend" of the ramp. Stop so your rider is sort of resting at the bend.
  3. Slowly throttle up until you are at the top of the ramp, making sure not to lift your front tire. Near the top of the ramp, gas it hard and
  4. bunny hop over the gap (:dleft: :dright:)
  5. push forward when you land while feathering the gas
  6. slowly gas it to crawl up the slope

Here's a video of my (12 fault) gold run, with the jump you are referring to at the 1:06 mark:

This is EXACTLY what I've been doing and I can't come anywhere close to getting this. The best I've managed is getting my front tire on the upper ramp.

This honestly might be the hardest jump in Trials' history. I don't know how I'm going to get gold on this track if I can't even complete it.

This is EXACTLY what I've been doing and I can't come anywhere close to getting this. The best I've managed is getting my front tire on the upper ramp.

This honestly might be the hardest jump in Trials' history. I don't know how I'm going to get gold on this track if I can't even complete it.

I agree on it being real hard. The only one I seem to suck more at is the one from Inferno 3, right after the 3 slanted ramps near the beginning. I can't seem to get that one consistent to save my life. Which is funny, since this one is much harder technique wise.

Maka describes the process really well. The only thing I would add is that the bunny hop is a real quick one. And it's most important to angle the rider the right way for the landing. That's what I was referring to when I say I don't think it's speed that matters on this one, but technique.

You can see that from my image below, in shot 3, the angle of my rider is the same angle as the ramp I'm about to land on. Also, I don't hit full throttle until I'm just about to bunny hop.

(From the screenshot below)

Shot #1:It's hard to tell from the on screen controls, but I'm only going about 50%-75% throttle until I go full throttle right at the point of me doing the "hop".

Shot #2, once my front tire lifts, I'm 100% throttle. Then it's a quick back-forward flick of the stick to get my back tire up off the ramp.

Shot #3: I'm in the air, now it's all about making sure my back tire hits the next ramp at the right angle.

Shot #4: Once I land, I feather the throttle enough to keep traction and not too much that I flip over. Then I barely gas it enough to get me to the top.

http://files.graphicsbybrad.com/xbl/trials-mm-jump.jpg

Granted, all this happens in less than a second, and you can only do so much, but it's mostly about muscle memory. Once you do land it a couple times, you'll get the hang of it.

Also, I admit, it's not the prettiest way to do it, and there is absolutely zero "flow" on my replay, but I get it done. When I first passed this track I had about 200 faults (about 175 of them on this damn jump). It's taken me a ton of practice to get this part consistent. Now I have more trouble on the end jumps than this part.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL to see my replay, my GT is : Don Jose

Edited by Don Jose

Thanks for all the help you guys have given. Especially DonJose with the video and pictures. I just figured this out on my latest attempt. Can't believe I didn't think of it. All it is, is a double bunny hop.

From the checkpoint (with the phoenix) floor it, angle your rider parallel to the lower ramp while riding up it. Bunny hop off it at about 80% of the way up, then bunny hop in mid air, just before hitting the upper ramp, and you land with both your wheels right on the end of the upper ramp in a perfect position to speed right up to the top of it.

Just finished the track for the first time (finally) with 97 faults, approximately 60 of which were spent at this part, lol.

When I first played this track I honestly thought I'd never get Gold, turned out to be one of the quickest extreme tracks to Gold for me, once I got all the technical bits learnt.

I'm in the same boat. My first few passes through this left me extremely disappointed. 200+ faults and a crappy time. But once I figured it out, I had gold a couple tries later. I just barely got gold on the other two extreme tracks yesterday after many days of trying. That damn piano at the end of the attic really hates me.

Now I just have to add 5 more feet to my uphill struggle height and I'll have the achievement.

@Mister Buds: I played this track last night with the phoenix, and wow, it was a whole different style than the gecko. I find it so much easier with the gecko. But to each his own... I'm glad some of my tips could work out for you.

I'm in the same boat. My first few passes through this left me extremely disappointed. 200+ faults and a crappy time. But once I figured it out, I had gold a couple tries later. I just barely got gold on the other two extreme tracks yesterday after many days of trying. That damn piano at the end of the attic really hates me.

Now I just have to add 5 more feet to my uphill struggle height and I'll have the achievement.

@Mister Buds: I played this track last night with the phoenix, and wow, it was a whole different style than the gecko. I find it so much easier with the gecko. But to each his own... I'm glad some of my tips could work out for you.

I did try the track a couple times with the gecko. Honestly, I just don't like the bike, it seems too sensitive for me.

I was worried about ever getting gold on this track but after finding a method for getting over that jump, I got gold in, I think, four attempts today.

I did try the track a couple times with the gecko. Honestly, I just don't like the bike, it seems too sensitive for me.

I was worried about ever getting gold on this track but after finding a method for getting over that jump, I got gold in, I think, four attempts today.

I agree, it's ultra sensitive. I don't use it on any other track 'cept magic marker. For whatever reason it just works for me. On every other track, I'm a bouncing mess with that bike...

• 1 month later...
I agree on it being real hard. The only one I seem to suck more at is the one from Inferno 3, right after the 3 slanted ramps near the beginning. I can't seem to get that one consistent to save my life. Which is funny, since this one is much harder technique wise.

With the barrel jump on Inferno II, start gassing, let go, then full throttle and lean back, flick forward at the top to rear wheel hop onto the ledge.