Going to get this for Cyber Monday: Any Tips?

Dante XBA

Since DARK SOULS is going on sale Monday and I wanted to try it out, I'm buying it.

But the game's menacing difficulty precedes it. Now, I completed every DMC game legitimately (check my card if you don't believe me), so I'm no stranger to difficult games.

However, being fresh into a game is never easy. Any tips to make the initial slaughter easier? Much appreciated!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since DARK SOULS is going on sale Monday and I wanted to try it out, I'm buying it.

But the game's menacing difficulty precedes it. Now, I completed every DMC game legitimately (check my card if you don't believe me), so I'm no stranger to difficult games.

However, being fresh into a game is never easy. Any tips to make the initial slaughter easier? Much appreciated!

• DON'T TRY TO EVENLY SPREAD ALL OF YOUR SKILL POINTS. Doing this will result in a mediocre character. Try picking 2-4 attributes that you want to specialize in (I'd recommend Vit, End, Dex, and a bit of Strength)
  • Never get surrounded. If this happens, you will die.
  • Get a black knight weapon and upgrade it to +5. It scales to your soul level, so you'll be set for a loooooong time when you get one.
  • Use the Dark Souls Wikidot for info on bosses, weapons, miracles, pyromancies, sorceress, etc. (Click red text)
  • Learn to parry. Press :ltbut: when an enemy brings his weapon down on you. Your character will swing his shield to the side and your enemy will stagger him. You hear a distinct noise, you'll know it when you hear it: it sounds like a cannon in a tunnel. Then, press :rbbut:, your character will perform a rather brutal animation, for MASSIVE damage. This is called a riposte.

Edited by Slaughter.

• DON'T TRY TO EVENLY SPREAD ALL OF YOUR SKILL POINTS. Doing this will result in a mediocre character. Try picking 2-4 attributes that you want to specialize in (I'd recommend Vit, End, Dex, and a bit of Strength)
  • Never get surrounded. If this happens, you will die.
  • Get a black knight weapon and upgrade it to +5. It scales to your soul level, so you'll be set for a loooooong time when you get one.
  • Use the Dark Souls Wikidot for info on bosses, weapons, miracles, pyromancies, sorceress, etc. (Click red text)
  • Learn to parry. Press :ltbut: when an enemy brings his weapon down on you. Your character will swing his shield to the side and your enemy will stagger him. You hear a distinct noise, you'll know it when you hear it: it sounds like a cannon in a tunnel. Then, press :rbbut:, your character will perform a rather brutal animation, for MASSIVE damage. This is called a riposte.

Specialize in one area, keep my shield in front of my enemies, upgrade a black knight weapon. Learn to riposte, too.

I think I can do that. Thanks! I'm currently working on Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, and it's a pretty high speed fighting game, so I don't think ripostes will be too hard to do. (You don't have that game, do ya Slaughter? Kinda need the online achievements)

Again, appreciate the tips.

Specialize in one area, keep my shield in front of my enemies, upgrade a black knight weapon. Learn to riposte, too.

I think I can do that. Thanks! I'm currently working on Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, and it's a pretty high speed fighting game, so I don't think ripostes will be too hard to do. (You don't have that game, do ya Slaughter? Kinda need the online achievements)

Again, appreciate the tips.

One important tip. Don't get too upset when you die. You're supposed to die. It's a hardcore game, it's a time consuming, but rewarding, completion. Seeing the other games you've completed, you're most likely hardcore, so this is right up your alley :)

The world seems huge at first but just know that there are shortcuts between places and at around halfway through the story you get the ability to warp between the bonfires (fast travel).

One important tip. Don't get too upset when you die. You're supposed to die. It's a hardcore game, it's a time consuming, but rewarding, completion. Seeing the other games you've completed, you're most likely hardcore, so this is right up your alley :)

The world seems huge at first but just know that there are shortcuts between places and at around halfway through the story you get the ability to warp between the bonfires (fast travel).

Pfft. In DMC you die in two hits from base enemies at max health. I won't get too mad ;)

Kinda excited though. I love a challenge!

- You're going to be confused. A lot. Accept it.

- You're going to die. A lot. Accept it.

- This game cares not about your current status, health, etc.

- MASTER KEY AS YOUR GIFT. It's the only one worth getting honestly.

- DO NOT KILL NPCs. Attacking them will turn them hostile and not accessible until the next playthrough. They have things you probably want.

- Feel free to message me on here or live, I'll be more than glad to lend a hand with tips and such.

To add to Spade, there is one NPC that it is win-win to kick off the cliff, and that is near the beginning of the game.

Also, if you do attack NPC on accident, all hope isn't lost as you can resolve your sins with a guy for a hefty price... The price is based on your level, so if you accidentally do it at a high level, all hope may as well be lost !!

To add to Spade, there is one NPC that it is win-win to kick off the cliff, and that is near the beginning of the game.

Also, if you do attack NPC on accident, all hope isn't lost as you can resolve your sins with a guy for a hefty price... The price is based on your level, so if you accidentally do it at a high level, all hope may as well be lost !!

Does absolving bring them back to life? I'm confused.

If you don't kill him in the beginning, he'll kill the fire keeper of Firelink and you won't be able to rest there. Don't worry as you can still warp there. If he does kill her though, you can invade his world in Anor Londo outside the boss fog of Ornstein and Smough. That's actually a tough fight though, as it's 3 (him and 2 other tough guards) vs. 1 (you).

If you don't kill him in the beginning, he'll kill the fire keeper of Firelink and you won't be able to rest there. Don't worry as you can still warp there. If he does kill her though, you can invade his world in Anor Londo outside the boss fog of Ornstein and Smough. That's actually a tough fight though, as it's 3 (him and 2 other tough guards) vs. 1 (you).

So just kill him.

If you don't get a black knight weapon (they are random drops), ascend any weapon you like (let me suggest the Claymore) to, first, fire and then later, lightning, though it is better to have one of each and one that is along the standard reinforcement path. a divine weapon is useful too, but you can get a couple without needing to bother with ascending one to it (Astora's Straight Sword, for example).

In NG, Fire and Lightning weapons are extremely useful and will allow you to reduce your stat investment in them since scaling is stripped from the weapon entirely, meaning you only need to worry about meeting the weapons minimum STR/DEX requirement so you can focus on boosting other attributes. Scaling damage doesn't really become relevant until NG+ and beyond.

Weapon upgrading is more important than leveling unless you are wanting to use high level Sorceries or Miracles; this game can be finished at SL1.

Edited by XperimntNterror

- You're going to be confused. A lot. Accept it.

- You're going to die. A lot. Accept it.

- This game cares not about your current status, health, etc.

- MASTER KEY AS YOUR GIFT. It's the only one worth getting honestly.

- DO NOT KILL NPCs. Attacking them will turn them hostile and not accessible until the next playthrough. They have things you probably want.

- Feel free to message me on here or live, I'll be more than glad to lend a hand with tips and such.

I agree with most of this - although master key for a complete beginner is not necessarily a good thing. It tends to lead a new player to areas they shouldn’t be early on. Personally going for the black firebomb or twin humanity is a better idea. (black firebomb kills either first boss or T. Demon easily).

Play the game slowly and keep your shield up in new areas is good advice. Don’t worry too much about learning parry/riposte although getting backstabs in when you can is useful. And upgrade a weapon you like using/feel comfortable with first is a good idea, upgrading everything else will come with time.

If you ever need help with a boss or area I’m more than happy to help, I have lots of characters between levels 20-190, my gamer tag is Sir frotage.

Well I wasn't going to go into detail because he hasn't played it yet, but basically just kick him off the edge.

I agree with the poster above me. While the game makes no attempt to hold the gamers hand, or to pacify the gamer with a checkpoint every 10 seconds, that does not an impossible game make. It simply comes down to patience, gaining awareness of the enviornments, using the right equipment for the job, and learning from your mistakes. Simple everyday skills most of us possess...well, excluding patience. I swear, people make more out of this game than it really is to make themselves sound more "hardcore" or to embellish their humble-bragging.

I agree with the poster above me. While the game makes no attempt to hold the gamers hand, or to pacify the gamer with a checkpoint every 10 seconds, that does not an impossible game make. It simply comes down to patience, gaining awareness of the enviornments, using the right equipment for the job, and learning from your mistakes. Simple everyday skills most of us possess...well, excluding patience. I swear, people make more out of this game than it really is to make themselves sound more "hardcore" or to embellish their humble-bragging.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the game is impossible, they (we) are just offering helpful tips for a beginner. I'm not great at a lot of games and I'm too old to worry about bragging about something I am good at to my friends. I think I am quite good at Dark Souls though so I'm happy to ofer advice and help someone - there are quite a few seasoned gamers that I know who have given up on this game so yeah it does deserve its reputation, up to a certain point.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the game is impossible, they (we) are just offering helpful tips for a beginner. I'm not great at a lot of games and I'm too old to worry about bragging about something I am good at to my friends. I think I am quite good at Dark Souls though so I'm happy to ofer advice and help someone - there are quite a few seasoned gamers that I know who have given up on this game so yeah it does deserve its reputation, up to a certain point.

I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread just the internet in general. I was just pointing out its nowhere near as difficult as you would expect given its reputation. 11.02% on Trueachievements have completed it, thats way too high for a game that has a reputation for been hardcore.

I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread just the internet in general. I was just pointing out its nowhere near as difficult as you would expect given its reputation. 11.02% on Trueachievements have completed it, thats way too high for a game that has a reputation for been hardcore.

Thats ok I wasn't replying to you, just the post following yours.

I absolutly agree that its not that hard providing you have the patience to play through the game at least once. Most games are easier at the point where you have learnt attack patterns etc etc