Easier than Dark Souls 1?

FPS GLIMMER

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else find this game easier than the last one? Im not sure if it is because I am a veteran but I find this game much easier that its predecessor.

The death penalty is making this feel harder than 1 for me. I do feel like I am finding so much gear and trinkets though.

Don't think so is easier than previous Souls. First off, there are a lot of dark locations and you should use a torch. When you use it you can't use a shield and without it you die very quick.

You can clear your way to the boss by killing all moobs around but that way you can't farm as long as you want like in the previous games. Drop is really poor and you start with 1 flask. You can't spam Estus flask because the animation of filling health is longer and using lifegemes during the fight is almost impossible (it fills health tooo long) Don't worry, you will die a lot :D

Don't think so is easier than previous Souls. First off, there are a lot of dark locations and you should use a torch. When you use it you can't use a shield and without it you die very quick.

You can clear your way to the boss by killing all moobs around but that way you can't farm as long as you want like in the previous games. Drop is really poor and you start with 1 flask. You can't spam Estus flask because the animation of filling health is longer and using lifegemes during the fight is almost impossible (it fills health tooo long) Don't worry, you will die a lot :D

Also with the estus flask thing, you have to find shards to get more. I have been pretty thorough so far and have gotten 5 shards, so I have 6 estus flasks right now. In DS 1 all you had to do was beat the easiest boss in the game and then every bonfire could give you 15 estus if you kindled it twice. Its very viable to use mid combat, you just have to study the enemies pattern so you know when you have the time to do it.

Bosses are a bit on par with DS 1 so far. A little annoyed there is only 1 place you can level up, I hate having to back to the hub area everytime I want to level. It slows things down and breaks up some intense exploring.

I haven't run into any where, where I absolutely needed a torch. Darkest area I have been to was the No Man's Wharf, but I could still see fine. Plus if you use a pharroh's lockstone it lights the place up pretty nicely.

Farming in general is less viable than before because of limited spawns, making leveling harder and you can't farm for certain items. Although I think they balanced that out a little by making more lootable loot available, still limited though.

Edited by KillerBEA

I think the lack of farming opportunities is somewhat made up for by the fact that there are many more bosses this time. Theres also more items - iirc - to get more souls from kills (rather than just the ring from DS1) and i think theres an item that can respawn the enemies?

Please confirm my ramblings...

Also with the estus flask thing, you have to find shards to get more. I have been pretty thorough so far and have gotten 5 shards, so I have 6 estus flasks right now. In DS 1 all you had to do was beat the easiest boss in the game and then every bonfire could give you 15 estus if you kindled it twice. Its very viable to use mid combat, you just have to study the enemies pattern so you know when you have the time to do it.

Bosses are a bit on par with DS 1 so far. A little annoyed there is only 1 place you can level up, I hate having to back to the hub area everytime I want to level. It slows things down and breaks up some intense exploring.

I haven't run into any where, where I absolutely needed a torch. Darkest area I have been to was the No Man's Wharf, but I could still see fine. Plus if you use a pharroh's lockstone it lights the place up pretty nicely.

Farming in general is less viable than before because of limited spawns, making leveling harder and you can't farm for certain items. Although I think they balanced that out a little by making more lootable loot available, still limited though.

By the end of the game my Estus Flask had 11 charges in it (as I recall) but I know there were a few items I didn't go out of my way to get or a few hidden areas I may well have missed (some can only be opened with a Lockstone or broken open by enemies etc). Plus, I'd only found enough Bone Dust to make it up to +5 in strength.

On the flipside I had over 70 lifegems in my inventory (and I'd used plenty) plus about 20 odd of the stronger lifegem and 5 or so of the strongest one. And a few Divine Blessings as well.

Frankly there is PLENTY of healing to be had in this game, so it's not really an issue and I would pretty much NEVER die on regular enemies. Most of my deaths came from boss fights or while trying to navigate to certain items via tricky jumps etc. Top tip: if you want that item off to the right side when you first enter the Iron Keep area (its across a series of platforms, some of which do fire damage) then don't bother. I died about ten times just there - and it turned out to be a Bonfire Ascetic. Lame.

I'd also say that, after a certain point, farming becomes less profitable anyway. By the end of the game my character was just under soul level 140. Not to mention the last 15-20 of those levels were me trying to up my Attunement, Int and Faith so I could use some spells. I got most of the souls in that period from bosses or items I picked up (not boss souls though). You will notice that levels stop giving as good rewards past a certain point. For example, increasing your health (is that Vigor?) makes it go up by 30 points a time at first. But that drops down to only 20 points a time when you hit about level 20 in Vigor. My strength was level 42, but that was probably overkill as it gets less useful after about level 35 or so.

Edited by jackanape

I would say it's just as hard, with new ways to be hard. The old ways of being hard don't affect you anymore; thus, you do not find it difficult so far. Wait till you progress further in the game.

I think that about sums up my opinion. It feels harder because it's hard in a way I wasn't accustomed to in the first, which stopped feeling impossible after hundreds of hours invested.

I haven't died too many times yet but I've been watching every step I take and being very cowardly. Which is why I picked the sorcerer, kill from a distance...

The estus flask starting off with one sip alone is more difficult, forcing you to spend more souls on healing items. Also, the fact that hitting a wall while attacking an enemy deflects your attack has put me in a bad spot several times now. I have yet to fight an actual boss as I want to level up as much as possible.

Well, I have beaten 4 bosses so far and they all seemed simple. Attack, roll repeate. Tthe Armour dragon guy didnt even seem like a boss.

So far I am level 47 and about 8 hours in and I am not having a tough time like I did in the last game. It seems that most enemies are slow and doing the quick attack puts them down before they become a problem

Not finding it easier at all.

The first forest area you go to after leaving Majula is way more challenging than the Undead Burg ever was.

I love the little nuanced changes. Especially for backstabbing. If you are too close to the enemy, you'll rub up against them, slowing you down if you try to "fish" for the stab. Enemies seem smarter and will easily pivot and realign their attacks to keep you out of backstab territory.

Also.... healing. So much more limited this time around and when you couple that with your health bar getting shorter and shorter every time you die (which I've done about a dozen times so far), it definitely does not feel easier than Dark Souls at all.

I didn't much care for clicking the left stick to jump, but, thankfully, From realized so many players would be acclimated to jumping with the B button that they allow you change back to the original control scheme for jumps.

I also love the monument at Majula that records how many times you have died... ha ha!

Anyone else find this game easier than the last one? Im not sure if it is because I am a veteran but I find this game much easier that its predecessor.

Not particularly. In fact, all the little mechanics changes (Stamina and Load being split into stats, "speed"/response mechanics with Adaptability, gravity, etc) make a big difference.

Sure enemies in general will seem to be somewhat "easier" to a veteran of the earlier games, but I think your opinion will change once you get into NG ++ and beyond.

LOTS of constraints come up. ;)

(Maybe it's that I'm losing my touch, but I dare say that this game is a bit more difficult than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.)

I've played DS1 more times than I can count and don't recall having that much trouble. DS2 however, is giving me issues.

The combat and movement feels SO sluggish and slow to react than it's predecessor. That, coupled with the low amount of estus flask uses, the death penalty and limited respawns are all giving me problems.

I also seem to get staggered and left open to attacks quite often while blocking. (Poise issues I'm guessing) Even with full stamina. Enemies also seem to recover from their attack animations far quicker than in DS1 leaving very little time to attack.

I'm loving it so far just like DS1, but I've gained zero ground and am shocked at my lack of progress. It's still DS and I am not giving up.

The character does feel more "loose" and "floaty" than how your character felt in Dark Souls and I'm not digging that too much. I do like that rolling and jumping are a bit more realistic, albeit less effective than in Dark Souls, though.

The only real issue that I have had so far is input lag causing me to take hits unnecessarily sometimes.

I have only played as far as defeating the Dragon Rider boss (I've been spending an awful lot of time exploring), but this game is definitely a greater challenge than Dark Souls. I spent well over 2000 hrs. playing that one and that is helping me very little in 2. Though the bosses haven't been very compelling yet. The Last Giant was basically like fighting the Giants at the top of Sen's; even used the same strategy to kill it.

The character does feel more "loose" and "floaty" than how your character felt in Dark Souls and I'm not digging that too much. I do like that rolling and jumping are a bit more realistic, albeit less effective than in Dark Souls, though.

The only real issue that I have had so far is input lag causing me to take hits unnecessarily sometimes.

I have only played as far as defeating the Dragon Rider boss (I've been spending an awful lot of time exploring), but this game is definitely a greater challenge than Dark Souls. I spent well over 2000 hrs. playing that one and that is helping me very little in 2. Though the bosses haven't been very compelling yet. The Last Giant was basically like fighting the Giants at the top of Sen's; even used the same strategy to kill it.

Amen brother.

I believe it's just going to take some to time to get used to the differences after spending an insane amount of time in DS1.

It may actually be easier than the first but right now it's the differences between the two that are killing me. And like any Souls game, that's my own fault. I will learn and adapt.

To be honest, yeah, it does feel more difficult. But much of that I'm going to attribute to the learning curve. I felt the same way with Dark Souls after having played Demon's Souls before that. But it wasn't long before I was skipping around Lordran with not a care in the world. To be honest, and I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this, but for a Dark Souls game this feels a lot closer to Demon's difficulty-wise than Dark Souls. It definitely feels like they have added more of the restrictiveness/penalty factor back into the series.