How To Get Better Cards Quickly

If you're having trouble beating certain duels and need better cards or are just looking for a place to work towards the 1,000,001 damage achievement I have found the perfect place to grind for damage and for cards (you will be doing both simultaneously.)

Go into Single Player, pick "Yu-Gi-Oh!" series, pick the first ladder on the left, the second duel on the ladder is against Solomon Muto.

Simply duel him over and him again and you will get a varied amount of cards for every victory* and 1 card for every lose/surrender.

The amount of cards you get is based on many points you have in the end-game screen. I got 9 cards when I beat him one time and 13 another time. So the amount of cards you get will vary.

*It should however be noticed according to some new information the amount of cards you receive will vary on your end-game screen score, but even at a 9 card per win ratio this is still a valid method for gaining new cards.

You can check your current damage total by pressing start, going into "Helps & Options" then "Statistics", also listed here is total multiplayer matches and total ranked wins.

Solomon Muto's strongest card is Gaia The Fierce Knight and he also all the pieces to build Exodia for an instant victory, other than that he is a walk in the park. I will however include a complete list of every card in his deck below so you can know exactly what you're going up against.

Main Deck: (40 cards)

Monsters:

Beaver Warrior x2

Fairy Dragon x2

Gaia The Fierce Knight

Giant Soldier of Stone

Horn Imp

Koumori Dragon

Left Arm of the Forbidden One

Left Leg of the Forbidden One

Mammoth Graveyard

Right Arm of the Forbidden One

Right Leg of the Forbidden One

Silver Fang

Torike

Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #1 x3

Exodia the Forbidden One

Exploder Dragon x2

Man-Eater Bug

Penguin Soldier x2

Spells:

Draconnection x2

Dragon Shield

Dragon Treasure x2

Swords of Revealing Light

Thunder Short x3

Traps:

No Entry!! x3

Non Aggression Area

Spellingbinding Circle x2

Two-Pronged Attack

Note:

He has zero cards in his extra and side deck so you need not worry about xyz monsters or sychro summons.

Edited by xoNevermorexo
New information needs to be added.

The amount of cards you get is based on many points you have in the end-game screen. I got 9 cards when I beat him one time and 13 another time. So the amount of cards you get will vary.

Well now don't I have egg on my face I even beat him three times to double check the numbers of cards I won and I ended up getting exactly 12 cards each time, but even at a 9 card rate it would still work as a great way to grind for better cards since he's no real threat, even if you only have a few good cards.

I have updated the post accordingly to reflect upon this new information though.

Edited by xoNevermorexo

Honestly after about 10 hours of play and not getting much in the ways of good cards. I was thinking of getting some of those dlc packs with staple cards. After getting them I highly suggest it, for 3 buck you can get one and it really does help out a lot.

For example "Pieces Of Exodia" has some great staples and other good bits:

Bottomless Trap Hole

Torrential Tribute

Mirror Force

Upstart Goblin

Swords of Revealing Light

Lightning Vortex

Marshmallon

Spirit Reaper

3 bucks is a great deal for helping cut possibly hours from farming cards.

Wiki to all dlc pack contents:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_5D%27s_Decade_Duels_Plus

I believe Sonicx18 is right: 20 points per card. That's what it was in Decade Duels, and it's holding true for me thus far in this game. I paid extra attention to that because I wanted to know how cards were unlocked in this game (alas, it is the same).

• 2 weeks later...

I think the important question is: How often do you get an above mediocre card using this "method"?

After over 100 duels so far just playing normally, i have won absolutely nothing of value, each card is just a piece of the puzzle(deck). I have been using the same deck since duel No.1 and i can't improve it still, using a Junk synchro deck btw.

Junk destroyer is the only "new" card i've included, Mai Valentine on expert has been kicking the hell out of me, that harpie deck is too good D:

KONAMI WHY???? WHY DIDNT YOU LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE LAST GAME???? CARD ACQUISITION FAILURE!!!

EDIT: Beat Mai on expert now :D

any packs have harpie support cards? need few more harpie queens and magic support

Since Decade Duels and Millennium Duels share a lot of the same dlc there's already been a post created in the Decade Duels forum about what cards are in what packs.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433008

However, the Millennium Duels exclusive dlc content has yet to be listed but hopefully you'll be able to find what you're looking for in one of the packs listed in the above link.

• 1 month later...

No, no, no, & no. Solomon Muto is NOT the best duelist to grind for cards. His expert deck can be eliminated with one card but (Abyssal Designator) but it's not the best, it's Tristan on Normal (1st duelist in the second tier of the 1st 4 groups that's unlocked right after Pegasus).

There are only 3 cards in the deck that you need to worry about & they're all easily countered: Smashing Ground (2), annoying but can only destroy 1 monster, so set one the 1st turn to avoid leaving yourself open the next turn around. The Law of the Normal (2) only works when he has 5 normal monsters & XYZ summons more often than not, & Number 96: Dark Mist (1) since he only has 1 all you need is any card that can destroy/remove monsters (Mirror Force, Justi-Break, Dark Core, etc. or you could XYZ summon Number 104: The Masquerade, or One-Eyed Skill Gainer, though my personal favorite method is using Forbidden Chalice to negate its effect mid-attack.

Tristan has no other means of attacking (unless you count 1200-1300 ATK monsters as significant threats), & he doesn't even have the means to destroy spells/traps or use trap hole/torrential tribute like Tea does!

Here are some cards to keep an eye out for for use against him:

Amazoness Sage (Gets rid of Human-Wave Tactics & Over-Limit)

Newdoria/Grave Squirmer/Man Eater Bug (In Case Dark Mist is summoned)

Kaiser Colosseum/Ground Collapse (Limits the no. of monsters he can summon, thus eliminating the threat of being swarmed)

Power Filter (Doesn't stop Enchanting Fitting Room's effect for some reason but stops his traps & keeps him from XYZ summoning)

Alector, Sovereign of Birds (Negates Human Wave Tactics, His XYZ monster's effects, & can even be special summoned easily because there's only 1 monster in his deck that has a different attribute)

Piercing Cards: Gemini Lancer, Lancer Archfiend, Darkness Destroyer, Phantom Beast Wild Horn, Uminotaurus, Gravekeeper's Spear Soldier, etc. (Great way to exploit the weakness of the monsters even when he's playing defense)

Samurai Sword Barron, Stop Defense, etc. (gives you a shot at Gachi Gachi Gantetsu when you don't have strong enough monsters & leaves normal monster vulnerable when you don't have a piercing monster on hand)

Multi-Attack Cards like Mantaza the Zapper, Darkness Destroyer, etc. (will thin out the horde & can trigger Over-Limit if there's only 1 monster)

When it comes to points, focus on winning as fast as possible, don't drag out the duel to get points for winning with zero cards in the deck or whatever, you get more cards the faster you can win the duel. Waiting a turn or two to get a bonus for using all 5 card zones or something is okay but otherwise, don't bother. You'll get a point bonus if you don't use spells or traps so if you've got a bunch of one/the other that can do the job you can leave out the rest. Winning by inflicting the right amount of damage (e.i. 1400 direct attack when his life points are 1400) will give you a bonus, as will only inflicting battle or effect damage.

Edited by Dark-Luster