Demo Impressions

AirborneRichard

The demo finaly arrived and after playing it a few times on Sniper Elite and casual i must admit i just love it! It so much reminds me of the old sniper elite game that i played so much back then, that it almost felt like some sort of homecoming and i had no trouble with the controls.

I know from reading quik thru some posts you guys placed after giving the demo a go and reactions vary from realy good to terrible. What might got something to do with the simple fact not everybody is into 3th person games and sniper based games. I also read comparisations with splinter cell what can,t be compared with this at all just because its about sniping and splinter cell alot about stealth mainly. Not that our sniper not have some stealth parts here and there in the full game (check achievements list) "Make it thru the flak tower without noticed"

So what are my impressions? First of all i enjoyed how good it looks and how smooth aiming goes and the movement. On the graphical side it sure looks great, the main caracter def make a good impression and controls are easy (at least for me)

I also compared the game demo on both xbox360 aswell PS3 and on the graphical side it seems as the xbox360 version just looks abit more crispy and better, i did encounter however some differences, the most obvious was that in the PS3 demo the enemies you just killed seem to fall down or better said lay down on the ground in alot of different stances and also the most notable was the fact the first enemies you killed where still there on the ground while on the xbox360 version after clearing the first part of the demo the first guy i killed was nowhere to be found anymore only his MP40 was still there. Its not a huge thing if you don,t know any better ofcourse, another thing i noticed was the close graphics from enemy soldiers gear like the y-strap it seems it realy looks like leather on the PS3 version, while on the xbox360 its sharper but it not have the same texture it seems as the PS3 version.

The controls seem to work abit better on the xbox360 however, but that might be just how you used to it.

As sniping is the main part that works fine and on elite you have to compensate for bulletdrop and windspeed, while in casual you have non of that and its basicly just point and shoot. Its realy rewarding the get that far away sniper shot of on elite and the killcam showing you all the time where you hit the enemy, the x-ray killcam not always pops up and only when you trigger a special kill. What i think is a good one realy. I seem plenty of different killcams already and i was realy proud when i replayed the first part and had a 3 for 1 kill where i headshot the first enemy and the bullet past into the next ones head and then riccocet off into the 3 enemy, its those kinda moments in the game that you just want to keep playing and playing again, and accourding to the makers there more then 1000 different killcam moments in the game. See a group of enemy,s like at the start? Why not dispatch them all at once almost? You can just wait for the right moment they closrer together and shot that one soldier,s grenade and pang!! You cleared that part realy easy.

I could go on for awhile but thats just quik my impressions so far just give me yours aswell guys :)

I quite liked it. Killcam is pretty cool, but I can imagine it will get annoying after a while. Hope there is an option to turn that off in the final game (my apologies is you can turn it off in the demo, couldn't see an option for it)

But yeah, I had a lot of fun messing around with the demo. Multiplayer might be fun as well, but there doesn't seem to be much hype about the game, which might suggest it won't be that popular.

I quite liked it. Killcam is pretty cool, but I can imagine it will get annoying after a while. Hope there is an option to turn that off in the final game (my apologies is you can turn it off in the demo, couldn't see an option for it)

But yeah, I had a lot of fun messing around with the demo. Multiplayer might be fun as well, but there doesn't seem to be much hype about the game, which might suggest it won't be that popular.

Thrue about that popularity part, sniping games just like stealth based games seem to have a fixed fan-base of gamers, mainly most don,t like to take theit time to see what different paths they can take or how to get that perfect shot.

So its with this game, plus alot of gamers don,t like 3th person games that much.

The killcam feature is a fixed part of the game and can,t be turned off, but it not always shows up, it depends where you hit the enemy, plus they realy quik so its not that much annoying even after a few hours of playing trust me.

I played it last night and it was better than Ghost Warrior BUT the guy getting hit, when it goes into that “see through” gimmick,where you can see his insides…skeleton, organs and such...if I got it, I’d want to turn that crap off. It's MEH but it reminds me of that crime show on CI channel, "Crime 360" I think.

I played it last night and it was better than Ghost Warrior BUT the guy getting hit, when it goes into that “see through” gimmick,where you can see his insides…skeleton, organs and such...if I got it, I’d want to turn that crap off. It's MEH but it reminds me of that crime show on CI channel, "Crime 360" I think.

I watched a video about the game and they say that the purpose of that is to show exactly what a bullet can do to the human body.

I got a chance to play this last night.

It's a fun little game, but I don't think it's something I'll pick up. I'm glad they released a demo for it.

Like others have said, I could imagine the killcams getting kind of annoying. I already was getting tired of having to wait for it to happen after getting vital kills over and over. I also was having trouble figuring how much the bullet drops over certain distances. It seems like it was a little unforgiving there, and I wouldn't think the bullet would drop as much as it was at the distances you're playing at in the demo.

Anything outside of sniping is kinda clunky as well, and pretty imprecise. Even on the lower levels, I'd pull out my pistol and have it aim firmly at the guys head who wasn't moving, and it'd end up being a neck shot.

I could see how people would like it, and I've always been a fan of the sniping aspects of games, but I wasn't too impressed on the whole. With Ghost Recon and Max Payne coming out, I think this'll be one that I skip over.

Killcams can,t be turned off as someone was right, it was the developers attention to show gamers what damage a bullet can do to a human body when it get hit, i not having a problem with it as most of the kills showing the quik killcam shot where u see the bullet hitting the guy but no "internal" killcam. That seems to be triggered now and then. About the controls i not found them clunky realy, the aiming goes pretty fluid and yes the regular weapons like thompson and pistol arn,t that great but they basicly tools that only should have to come in pratice when a enemy is realy close to you. Its def possible to get from A to B without using your extra weapons once. The controls we get on xbox360 are still better then the PS3 controls trust me. The empty lung button is R2 and while holding down that scope button and aiming is more a husle then fun.

Has anyone else noticed that if you place explosives (like mines or dynamite) then shoot them, the game registers it as a kill and awards you points, which seem to be meaningless in the demo however.

Also there is a glitch that was recently discovered that allows you to go outside the playable area and if you go into the building that you spawn in and head up to the door to the immediate left of where you spawn (the one that's blown out), a new German soldier will spawn. Maybe this means that the beginning of the mission is actually further back in the level in the full game?

If you want to see the glitch video let me know, I can post it. Not much to explore outside the map though.

All you do is sprint into the fence to the left after exiting the first building, then falling off to the right. Fairly simple to do.

first off I WILL BUY THIS GAME!!!!!

ok now i got that out the way, im a fan of the original mainly on pc but i remember some good 1 on 1 sniper battles between me and a friend, now i downloaded the demo last night and i must of said 10 times yup deffo prefer the first one, it may just be the demo but in this game it didnt really give the sniper vibe, to me it was a bit team america, you were a soldier with a scoped rifle, the sense of freedom within buildings seemed limited, the amount of enemies made it more call of duty than sniper, wasnt overly fond of the hold your breath mechanic either with the targetting reticule when you hold your breath, once you were spotted became annoying too as that was it it became all frontal assault, and where as i wanted to flank enemies through different buildings you cant, unless the game wants you in that building your not entering it...

now this might just be bad demo placement and im hoping so, im also hoping for 1 on 1 battles too and not some over the top TDM, id of liked to sample the co-op and see how that worked but anyways, its not a terrible game and i am going to buy it regardless, i just think its taken a step back from the original

Overall, I was rather impressed. I was expecting some sort of COD clone, featuring sniper rifles, but I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to be more Sniper Rifles, featuring COD (in some ways).

Just some minor things that annoyed me, though; it seemed the enemies could see me half way across the map. Even when I just slightly poked my head out of cover, they would all instantly be shooting in my direction. Also, the KILLSHOTs were awesome, but I can understand the potential to be very annoying.

Otherwise, a very solid game that has jumped to right on top of my to-buy list.

No game is THE game for everybody but some just don't learn huh.

I thought I'd be getting the game but after the demo im a hellyeahdayone getting the game!

I think the problem lies in the pure fact these days gamers have that annoying fact that most new games, not even released sometimes already being stapped as; Oh thats gonna be a COD or BF clone! Or just getting compared with other games and in truth that games not even comes close to what the what gamers do compare it with, this statements trigger a general oppinion and thus sometimes even good games get skipped by the general gamercroud just because 80% says its gonna be a COD clone or so. Rather sad because lots of games not get the proper attention this way.

first off I WILL BUY THIS GAME!!!!!

ok now i got that out the way, im a fan of the original mainly on pc but i remember some good 1 on 1 sniper battles between me and a friend, now i downloaded the demo last night and i must of said 10 times yup deffo prefer the first one, it may just be the demo but in this game it didnt really give the sniper vibe, to me it was a bit team america, you were a soldier with a scoped rifle, the sense of freedom within buildings seemed limited, the amount of enemies made it more call of duty than sniper, wasnt overly fond of the hold your breath mechanic either with the targetting reticule when you hold your breath, once you were spotted became annoying too as that was it it became all frontal assault, and where as i wanted to flank enemies through different buildings you cant, unless the game wants you in that building your not entering it...

now this might just be bad demo placement and im hoping so, im also hoping for 1 on 1 battles too and not some over the top TDM, id of liked to sample the co-op and see how that worked but anyways, its not a terrible game and i am going to buy it regardless, i just think its taken a step back from the original

Thrue the original back then set a great mark how a good sniper game should look and play like, i think the developers just tried to make a decend follow up one now with some new add-ons and the improved graphics. But fact is indeed that while in the old game you could have alot of snipes from inside of buildings and could mask your shots more with surrounding sounds like explosions and stuff, in the demo of the new one this is much more limited and indeed enemies seem to be placed more in favorite so its plays abit more like most shooters and once they sopt you its like you steered up a hornets nest, in the old games enemies where scatered around more and yes they still ould hunt you down but at least you had the chance to hide inside building and still be able to snipe most or all of them.

The co-op wil consist of two different mission types as far i get from official sources and what the demo gives away at the end in the lines of text. Here you and a friend will play as a sniper and a spotter where the spotter can tag enemies for the sniper and call out windspeed ect. so its basicly a very well balanced team work thing. The MP will only be avialable on release for the PC and it can hold up to 12 ppl in a match. So no MP for the consoles as yet.

I'm the type that downloads most demos that come out even if I don't have a ton of interest.. I really enjoyed the demo. The WW2 setting kind of reminded me of The Saboteur which is one game I really loved. Its probably not enough to get me to preorder the game though which is unfortunate because the Hunt Hitler mission looks really cool. Anyone know if they may release this as paid DLC after the game comes out?