How the hell do you make gil in this game?

ApochWeiss

I will assume that you don't have access to Jeuno yet and a job lower than 20. In that case the are several things you can farm around Bastok and sell at the local AH.

-Beehive Chips: They drop from the maneating hornets that you can usually find on the hills in south and north Gustaberg, drop rate is generally good and you can kill them around level 8.

-Zeruhn Soot-Bat Wings: The soot drops from pretty much any mob in Zeruhn mines and is used for a quest that gives Bastok fame so there's always some demand for it, you can also almost kill anything there from level 4 (careful of the leeches). The bat wings generally don't sell well or at all in Bastok which is why I mention them together with the soot, but they do sell well in San'doria due to a similar quest, and you bound to get a lot of them if you farm soot since most mobs in Zeruhn are bats.

-Zinc Ore: They drop from an assortment of worms around Gustaberg and they usually go 500-1000 Gil each depending on supply vs demand.

-Crystals: Crystals usually don't sell for much but you gonna get a lot of them anyway whatever you choose to farm as long as it's Easy Prey and above and you have Signet on. They can help add to your Gil count.

The are some other things you should keep to sell later when you get Jeuno or San'doria like Wild Onions and Sheep Skin which you can turn to sheep leather somewhat cheep if you farm Dark Crystals from funguars, but what I mentioned above should be enough to get you started.

From what I understand you started the game as a Galka BLM?

That is not a very good job/race combination for someone starting out, I also started out like that because I wanted BLM as a sub to my sub so to speak and I had a very hard time. It's easier these days with FoV and everything but it would generally be better (and probably cheaper) to start out as WAR or MNK with a Galka.

As a last tip always keep signet on and don't throw away any Beastmen seals you find (can make money using them later).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you will be selling all of those items but the Zinc Ores in Stacks of 12.

Edited by Arenegeth

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I got a fairly good amount of money by lvling up cooking. With that I managed to get some good gear for my dancer and finance lvling up goldsmithing...too bad I don't play anymore lol

I agree with cooking. It has been a major money spinner for me. It's not a huge instant return but when you hit level 60 Cooking Skill you will be making Yagudo Drinks which sell for around 2k each depending on your server. If you make about 20-30 of these a day your gil will soon start to mount up and it doesnt take very long to do.

Also farming in Giddeous worked well for me low level. I killed the bees and yagudo's which allowed me to collect all of the random items and NPC/Auction House them for gil which soon adds up.

Other than that all i can suggest is while your levelling keep everything and sell it. 1 extra gil is better than 0 IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the only thing that I can add to this is kill beastmen (Yagudo, Orcs, (bastok) Quadavs, Goblins, etc....) They all drop gil when they are killed. Make sure that you do the FoV (Field of Valor) book pages, and that gives you an instant return on some gil when you finish a pg. Good luck, and I agree that RDM FTW!!! or atleast until you can get DRG :)

The best way to make gil while starting out is to buy Pickaxes off of a merchant

They stack to 12, buy 4 stacks in Port Bastok and go to Zeruhn Mines with an empty inventory other than the Pickaxes

Find Mining Points around the dungeon and trade a Pickaxe

You will find:

Iron Ore(1k each)

Pebble(Drop these)

Copper Ore(300 each)

Zinc Ore(500 each)

Tin Ore(500 each)

Snapping Mole(400 each)

Silver Ore(300 each)

Darksteel Ore(5k each)

If you fill yourself up on Iron Ore/Darksteel Ore you can brobalby make 50k per run at first

• 1 month later...

I used to make my gil by farming, but level sync ruined most if not all farming areas for decent gil. Other than spotting new easy to get to NMs and selling their drops while it's high (right now that'd probably be abyssea NMs) I do have a good suggestion. Currently ISNM and KSNM/BSNM are the best ways to reliably make gil if you don't want to take too many chances. ISNM jade sepulcher 3000 is a good one for the khroma ore. The price fluctuates due to it being a reward for the mog bonanza, but it always ranges from 300-500k and is a decent drop rate. Otherwise there are KSNM and BCNM that have 100% drops or decent drop rates for items that are reliable to make gil. Look up the ones for Utsusemi: Ni, Level 50 JSE rings, and Orichalcum Ingot. It's still work but it's a good method.

• 3 weeks later...

Simplest thing you can do is sell crystals on the auction house. They're always in demand so the price is stable. If you have the patience / can deal with the annoyance, you can almost certainly make more money overall puting singles up on the auction house instead of stacks. but stacks will sell a lot faster.