Easy way to beat gas mask guy!

irift3

I take absolutely no credit for this. I was thumbing around on youtube and I was watching the walkthrough for this game. I noticed a comment that read "It is better to knife him, he goes down faster and easier." I decided to try it (on hard mode), and it WORKED!!! All you have to do is when you start the battle with the gas mask guy, is take out your knife (I used the machete), and run up to him. Then just keep hitting right trigger like crazy!!! You might die the first time, but once you know where to look when you are swinging away, it takes maybe about a minute or two. So simple. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
I think you are refering to the guy at the end of level 4, I think.

You fight this guy three times, and he's the same each time. I can confirm it works all three times because I just did it on Hard difficulty. It takes a while, and you have to have good timing, but it definitely works. I just stood in front of the guy each time and spammed the right trigger over and over. It took a while, but down he went!

Edited by Kyanite

• 2 months later...

omg. i am SOglad i read this post yesterday!! ugh. i'd been trying for bloody ages to kill the 1st of the 3 (did it on hard) and just couldn't at all. talk about frustrating the knifing works great. though i must say i did it that much i got confused a few times and ended up walking away and getting hit haha.

xXx

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This doesn't work at all on Hard, he just switches to his right blade and evades your knife. Then when you try to swing at him on that side he just switches back to the left and evades that aswell. I'm on my 20th try or something and he just keeps avoiding me, no matter how I try to go at him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This doesn't work at all on Hard, he just switches to his right blade and evades your knife. Then when you try to swing at him on that side he just switches back to the left and evades that aswell. I'm on my 20th try or something and he just keeps avoiding me, no matter how I try to go at him.

can confirm this method does work on hard,found crouching makes the camera angle easier to control,took me quite a few times also,just keep trying will get the hang of it

I really was enjoying this game, playing on hard, until I confronted this guy. I was really pissed at him and at myself for not being able to play better. I started looking for hints on how to get rid of him easier and found myself here.

I tried using a knife technique and failed to down this guy. I tried about 30 times, no less. I'm a pretty decent player, I have good reaction and all that. I was able to keep the guy always in my aim but, sometimes, when he was about to strike, for some unknown reason, the controllable character was putting slashing on halt. This happened just about every try and there was nothing to do about it.

Now about circling around him. The guy is always abidextrious in my case - that is he easily uses both of his hands. Despite that, it's still possible to circle around him without getting hit, but it takes much more skill and precision to circle around him to be able to slaughter him with a knife than to do it some other way.

In the end I just took him down with a shotgun. What I did was keep shooting at his head up to the moment he approaches close enough to make a jump or strike me. At this point it's important to start moving towards him and shoot him somewhere (head is the best, of course) to prevent him from making a move. He will stutter long enough for you to sprint just inches away from him, turn around and continue shooting. I was able to easily repeat this tactic. Also, I found it much easier to down the bastard with a shotgun than with an automatic rifle.

Update: Shotgun tactic is definitely extremely easy. I took the second masked guy on my first try with the tactic I used (on hard difficulty and I didn't even know he was going to pop out). For the third and last one I used a different weapon and it went much slower.

Edited by NeverwinterMoon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome tip - took me about 4 tries (on Hard) to do it, but I finally did. I found that pushing the thumbstick forward at a slight angle every third or fourth slash stopped him from being able to fight back as much, since I think you slightly nudge him out of the way with every slash and he can eventually get his arm free to slash you if you don't move with him. It does take FOREVER though.

I also used the shotgun method much like Neverwintermoon.

Soon as I entered, started pumping him full of shells while backing away slowly into the corner next to the door you arrived in. Once he was close enough, I made a run for the opposite corner. What also works is timing his swing; as soon as he begins the swing motion, I made a run for it. Was not hit. This gives you time to reload or recover from any blows taken.

This was done on hard mode.

• 2 weeks later...

It's laughably easy on hard (Chapter 4) with the knife.

You just need to run up to him and circle around him while staying really close ... he does absolutely nothing because the AI is not able to turn as fast as you circle. I highly doubt that it requires a certain skill to do this.

It also doesn't matter which side you choose, he's not able to keep up with you either way.

Though I hope that not a lot of people are still trying to play that ..... game.

Edited by Schreckofant

Though I hope that not a lot of people are still trying to play that ..... game.

Unfortunately, I'm still on my first playthrough on hard and on the last mission. I'm taking my time and only so much I can take until it has to be cut off. After level 5 or 6, the devs must have cut hard mode off because it does get easier; the zombies and VC's don't seem to hit as hard compared to the earlier levels.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...