Where will this go next-gen?

Drewbles

I got loads of microsoft points and wanting to purchase loads of new songs. I love this game, far better than guitar hero.

We are getting closer to the new xbox and what happens with most people is they tend to get rid of their older console or it just never gets used.

I like to get my moneys worth and I'm dying to know more about this nextgen console. I would love to know if it will be backwards comp and if Harmonix will let you carry over all your DLC to the next console.

Obvious no one has that info yet but its putting me off buying more tracks till I know.

Also RB4 will prob be next gen, are they gonna compete with Rocksmith and other games that let you plug in any guitar cuz I do like the idea of learning while you play and if RB does that (instead of that realguitar they made) that be awesome.

Nicer to stick to just one game rather than several cuz dont wanna end up with 3-4 tracks the same just on diff games.

My assumption is that Microsoft will allow gamertags to carry over to the next console seeing as they did that with the original Xbox, so it would make sense to me that your download history would also carry over allowing you to redownload any tracks you've already bought (or the next console might have a section to plug in an old 360 HD to eliminate the need). Seeing as I know nothing about programming etc however, would Harmonix have to completely remake the existing tracks in order for them to run on a different console? I again assume the files for Xbox/PS3/Wii songs are identical to each other (with the exception of changing the buttons from Y to triangle and such) which is probably wrong, but if they are then the existing files would surely work on a new console as well.

The Rock Band library is the main unique selling point I think of when it comes to comparing the franchise to other rhythm games so I'm sure they will fight hard to keep the compatibility going after the switch to next gen, some people have spent thousands of dollars on buying DLC songs at this point so it'd be foolish for them not to. RB aside I've bought a huge amount of XBLA games, so if Xbox doesn't keep the marketplace in the jump to next gen I can't see myself buying the new console.

I am a programmer, and the track files should easily be able to go over to the next gen, they are just data files. If there is a Rock Band in the next gen there is no reason, from a programming standpoint, why it couldn't have all your songs carry over. The only possible hangup would be getting them on to the new console, or a decision by HMX not to support the old file format.

XBLA, I wouldn't hold my breath on. That's not the same thing. That's a Backwards Compatibility issue, and all the companies seem to be changing stances on how they deal with BC. There were definitely be a Marketplace and an Arcade, but you probably won't be able to carry those games over.

I again assume the files for Xbox/PS3/Wii songs are identical to each other (with the exception of changing the buttons from Y to triangle and such) which is probably wrong, but if they are then the existing files would surely work on a new console as well.

The Rock Band library is the main unique selling point I think of when it comes to comparing the franchise to other rhythm games so I'm sure they will fight hard to keep the compatibility going after the switch to next gen, some people have spent thousands of dollars on buying DLC songs at this point so it'd be foolish for them not to. RB aside I've bought a huge amount of XBLA games, so if Xbox doesn't keep the marketplace in the jump to next gen I can't see myself buying the new console.

The PS3 and Xbox DLC songs are very similar to one another, but I don't think they're exactly the same. During RB3's initial release, the Xbox version of the game suffered a bug in which the majority of songs during one week (The Guess Who tracks, "Rock Your Socks", maybe others) didn't work because of a metadata error.

Aside from that, Wii DLC apparently has to undergo significant changes in order for it to comply with Nintendo filesize restrictions. I can't say I've experienced it myself (and if you're posting here, odds are you haven't either), but I understand from people on the RB forums that long DLC songs like "Do You Feel Like We Do?" sound much worse on Wii than other songs, or the same songs on other consoles.

I am a programmer, and the track files should easily be able to go over to the next gen, they are just data files. If there is a Rock Band in the next gen there is no reason, from a programming standpoint, why it couldn't have all your songs carry over. The only possible hangup would be getting them on to the new console, or a decision by HMX not to support the old file format.

I can't imagine HMX not supporting the old file format. The DLC is their lifeblood--what other series puts out new content every week for four and a half years straight and makes it cross-compatible with other titles in the franchise? (Case in point: Rock Band 1 was released in 2007, and had compatible DLC released weekly until RB3's release three years later, with a little extra if you bought Country Track Pack 2. Meanwhile, all that DLC was also compatible with RB2, and then RB3, and select songs were also compatible with Lego RB and Green Day RB, and all of it will work in RB Blitz. RB3 DLC works with Blitz, too.) I think this tells you how dependent they are on DLC. If none of it is supported in the next generation (and I can't imagine that at this point, quite honestly--for Xbox at least, since the APIs will have to be reasonably similar in order for Microsoft to tie the platform to Games for Windows Live), it won't be because Harmonix doesn't support it--if it isn't supported, they're screwed in the long run.