PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Anime and Manga
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #211
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Gamertag: Jakez123

Awards Showcase Staff - Community Team - Maximum Clubs Director   Submit - Platinum   Halo 3 PvP Tournament - 1st Place   Titanfall PvP Tournament - 2nd Place   Artist of the Month   Referrals - Bronze   Impossible Trinity - Gold   Staff Club - Minty   Community Gaming - Silver   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 26 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions View Post
I haven't actually read very far into it, but it's pretty heavily implied that Aikawa is a guy, so it still counts.

Not to mention it started in (or was at least featured in a volume of) Josou Shounen Anthology.
Oh my bad, thought you finished it. Yea it's always implied that he's a guy. But carry on reading and you might see what I mean.

Enjoyable manga though.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #212
institutions

Gamertag: institutions

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Lol nah. It's one of those things that you know it's going to be fantastic and you purposely don't read/watch because you don't want it to end.

Though normally people would do that with only a few chapters/episodes to go, and not when they're only 12 chapters in.
akiyama mio = mai waifu
-----

institutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #213
CrazyMv94
Banned User

Gamertag: CrazyMvM94
So apparently the No Game No Life manga is now a number 1 Best Seller according to New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...anga/list.html

Last edited by CrazyMv94; 10-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.
CrazyMv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #214
CrazyMv94
Banned User

Gamertag: CrazyMvM94
Double Post-

Probably Comic Book related as well but Attack on Titan is getting a crossover with Marvel:
CrazyMv94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #215
alec613

Oh God, Taichi

I swear that Chihayafuru's mangaka, Suetsugu Yuki, has this sadistic love towards Taichi.
She's been slowly torturing Taichi from the beginning, getting a ton of depth in the process, to the point where he's already outdone the main character, Chihaya, or both Chihaya and Arata combined as the best character of the series prior to these recent chapters . There's just so much focus on him and he's gotten a lot of character development thanks to that, but these recent chapters took the torture to the next level. God, I swear that this dude suffers so much.

Last edited by alec613; 11-09-2014 at 03:16 AM.
alec613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #216
Metroid51X

Gamertag: The Neko Otaku
Okay time to lay down some Mini reviews

Boku wa Ookami 8/10 I always like it when a romance decides to mix things up by giving us odd couple pairings and in this case A girl who hate perverted guys and A guy who Has been raised by a Wolf for most of his life. It sound a bit silly but in the first chapter it quickly changes your mind about the manga. Boku wa ookami is a very complete story and a easy one to read.

Yuusen Shoujo: Plug-in Girl 6/10 This a perfect example of what happens when a manga has too few chapters. okay basic story main character saves a girls life for an assassination attempt when he was a kind but the attack gravely injured them both years later main character gets a sweet cyborg body and vows to protect the girls life. The 2 main character are really good in this but it's the only saving grace of this manga, throughout the manga they keep giving detail about the world they're in but never expand or tell you more on it making the final chapters feel really rushed and confusing.

Shinigami Alice 8/10 Okay this has kinda of the sam plot as Akuma no riddle but Has actual romance and and a better ending
Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #217
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

Gamertag: TVthePunisher

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   House of Horrors Challenge Club - Tier 1   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Silver   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Anyone reading this Sukedachi Nine series? It's on the second chapter now, by Masashi Kishimoto's brother Seishi.

I thought I had something meaningful to put here but I'm at a loss so...booty-butt-cheeks. Oh and thanks to Gackt for the Signature. Because OP Man and Japanese Iron-Man are too beastly.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #218
otaking live

Gamertag: Otaking Live

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Anyone reading this Sukedachi Nine series? It's on the second chapter now, by Masashi Kishimoto's brother Seishi.

Oh hell no.

While I've bought like..... 200 manga in the last year I haven't actually read any......

otaking live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #219
Ice Car

Gamertag: Ice Car

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Gakkou Gurashi is pretty good. That being said my expectations for the adaptation have been lowered. A lot. Not because the source material is bad, but because if put in the hands of a bad director, which I'm almost certain it will, then it'll be a trainwreck. The sudden tonal shifts sort of just work in manga form because you don't have to account for much in that medium.

Normally I bash anime/manga for having sudden tonal shifts but it makes sense in the context of the story. I won't spoil or talk about it here, just read it and you'll understand.

These sudden tonal shifts and changes in art style I feel just won't translate well into a medium where you have to take into account the music, environment, and basically just how everything looks in the end.
Ice Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #220
bona4life247

Gamertag: BONA4LIFE247
Dragonball Z Manga

Anyone know of any good dragonball z manga?
bona4life247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 AM   #221
Tatl

Gamertag: Tatl360
I'm reading YuYu Hakusho for the first time!

n.n

I've watched almost all of the anime, and I'm enjoying the mangá so far.
Tatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #222
tehapoc

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Guide Writers Guild   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona4life247 View Post
Anyone know of any good dragonball z manga?
Dragon Ball?
tehapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #223
Jlong908

Gamertag: Jeffrey GNOL
jojo

Jojo is beast!
Jlong908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #224
CF4000

Obviously the original Dragonball Z manga is best.
CF4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #225
LickableLemons7

Gamertag: LickableLemons7

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 1   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
So yesterday Guillermo del Toro tweeted that Junji Ito was collaborating with del Toro/Kojima on Silent Hills.

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/648117433593655296

Wasn't too familiar with Ito's work off the top of my head until I came across some images of Uzumaki. I recognized those images so I started reading Uzumaki for the first time. Just finished chapter 7 and I'm liking it so far.

Any other good horror manga worth reading? Don't know much, all I read manga-wise these days is One Piece.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #226
Jack Frost

Gamertag: MEETSP1NNER

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
So yesterday Guillermo del Toro tweeted that Junji Ito was collaborating with del Toro/Kojima on Silent Hills.

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/648117433593655296

Wasn't too familiar with Ito's work off the top of my head until I came across some images of Uzumaki. I recognized those images so I started reading Uzumaki for the first time. Just finished chapter 7 and I'm liking it so far.

Any other good horror manga worth reading? Don't know much, all I read manga-wise these days is One Piece.
Keep in mind I generally only read professionally translated manga, so what I suggest to you might not be the "deep cuts" that others more into fansubs than I can give you.

Ito's Tomie stuff is actually pretty good, too. She's a creature (for lack of a better word) that appears as a beautiful girl. In fact, she's so beautiful, men get carried away and cannot suppress the urge to chop her into pieces. When this happens, each piece will inevitably grow into another Tomie.

He also has several shorter pieces that are good, too. However, Viz just translated the last 6-8 stories he did recently after he apparently took a hiatus from horror, and they're just not that great. The book is called Fragments of Horror and I recommend you avoid it. I also thought Gyo was a little meh.

If you dig your horror with a little bit of humor, I cannot recommend highly enough The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. It's about a group of Buddhist College graduates who lack direction until they realize each has a special ability. One has a dowsing pendant that instead of finding water, locates the recently dead. Another can touch a corpse and channel the its spirit so it can tell what's happened to it. Another has a hand puppet that's been possessed by a foul-mouthed, super intelligent alien from a distant galaxy, and so on. They generally help the corpse get revenge on its killer sometimes even uncovering larger crimes connected to the murder.

The Drifting Classroom is alright, too. It's about an elementary school that disappears into another dimension and has kind of a Lord of the Flies thing going on, but it's still pretty good.

Parasyte is excellent. I won't even tell you anything about it. They even made an anime recently and it was pretty good, too.

And, of course, my absolute favorite, Berserk. Berserk is some epic shit that I won't even begin to try and summarize. I will say though that DARK SOULS was/is heavily influenced by this manga, from similar characters to the overall tone. Some may not consider this straight-up horror like Ito's stuff, but it's definitely steeped in horror nonetheless.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #227
LickableLemons7

Gamertag: LickableLemons7

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 1   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Thanks Jack! I'll most likely move on to Tomie next then, I finished Uzumaki earlier this morning and enjoyed it quite a bit. Liked some of the Lovecraftian elements in it.

Found myself thinking about spirals at work today and didn't even make the connection to Uzumaki until later, weird how I let it get into my head like that.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #228
Jack Frost

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
Thanks Jack! I'll most likely move on to Tomie next then, I finished Uzumaki earlier this morning and enjoyed it quite a bit. Liked some of the Lovecraftian elements in it.

Found myself thinking about spirals at work today and didn't even make the connection to Uzumaki until later, weird how I let it get into my head like that.
Of all of Ito's stuff that I've read, Uzumaki is my favorite.

I remember picking up the first tonkubon of Uzumaki off the shelf and flipping through it. The first images I saw were from the part of the story where the girl ends up having the spiral consume her head. I was blown away by the concept and the art.

Oh, and despite my saying Gyo was meh, you will definitely find more Lovecraftian stuff in there...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #229
Mike0284
Assassin Raider

Gamertag: Futuramaforlife

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Sister-Site Member   Community Gaming - Bronze   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Subscriber - Silver   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-the-immortal/

Quote:
Japanese director Takashi Miike, known for such films as “Audition” and “Ichi the Killer,” is set to adapt Hiroaki Samura’s long-running manga “Blade of the Immortal.”

Published from 1993 to 2012, the supernatural manga follows the cursed samurai Manji, who must kill 1,000 evil men in order to regain his mortality. The story was adapted in 2008 as television anime series.

Popular Japanese singer and actor Takuya Kimura, nicknamed Kimutaku, will star as Manji in the live-action film, set for release in 2017. A member of the Japanese idol group SMAP, the 42-year-old Kimura appeared in 2010’s “Space Battleship Yamato,” and voiced Howl in “Howl’s Moving Castle.”

Mike0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #230
Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0284 View Post
Published from 1993 to 2012, the supernatural manga follows the cursed samurai Manji, who must kill 1,000 evil men in order to regain his mortality. The story was adapted in 2008 as television anime series.
They keep saying that's what the story is about, but honestly this gets dropped as a driving force of the plot pretty early. By the end Manji still has all of his abilities and, honestly, doesn't ever really seem like he's trying to rid himself of them over the course of the story. The manga, at least (haven't seen the anime), is more interested in the formation of the Ittō-ryū and then starts to muddy the waters on who is really evil in this tale. It also delves into Edo-period politics quite a bit.

Not that it's not a great story, it's just that that description has always been a little misleading.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 AM   #231
Mike0284
Assassin Raider

Gamertag: Futuramaforlife

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Sister-Site Member   Community Gaming - Bronze   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Subscriber - Silver   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Went to new York Comic Con today and picked these up.

Mike0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #232
tehapoc

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Guide Writers Guild   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0284 View Post
Went to new York Comic Con today and picked these up.
Looking forward to some Jojo conversations with you, Mikie.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #233
Iamthebrown

Gamertag: NonleadedBean82
Is anybody else's favorite manga re:monster or the gamer??
Iamthebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #234
ZombiePred4tor

Gamertag: ZombiePred4tor
I am currently reading a manga series called Ultimo, the last one i read was number 5 and im saving up money to buy the rest
ZombiePred4tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #235
ZombiePred4tor

Gamertag: ZombiePred4tor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePred4tor View Post
I am currently reading a manga series called Ultimo, the last one i read was number 5 and im saving up money to buy the rest
Oh, im also reading a resident evil manga called the something desire, i dont remember the full name at the time
ZombiePred4tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #236
ZUJNKfygJI

I've been meaning to read the manga, which hopefully makes up for it.
ZUJNKfygJI is offline   Reply With Quote