Who thinks American Mcgee's Alice should be a seperate game with its 12 achievements?

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love this game, its hard but its good, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought it should have been classed as its own title with 12 achievements and a 200 gamerscore, instead of EA making it impossible for those who buy the game preowned to get all the achievements unless they spend 800 MS points on the first one.I would have loved this because the first game is long enough to have 12 achievements instead of 6.

It probably saves them time, and money, to not make it an arcade title. Companies have to pay A LOT of money when they submit a game to MS, Sony, or Nintendo. If it fails, then they make fixes, re-submit and pay even more money.

On top of that, they're saving time programming a few achievements into Alice: Madness Returns to register certain events in American McGee's Alice instead of creating a whole new set of triggers and achievements for that.

Also, the market for the game outside of those purchasing/playing Madness Returns is pretty low.

Either way, it's a business and they're in it to make money, not please people (That's why a ton of crap and shovelware comes out all the time).

Agreed, I bought this thinking that it was standalone, but noooooo. I have to the damn game to play it. Way to misdirect M$!!!!!!!

If you're saying you bought McGee's Alice for $10 off the marketplace, I'm 99% positive it says in the description that it requires Alice: Madness Returns to play, so no need to blame microsoft or anyone else for you not reading

It probably saves them time, and money, to not make it an arcade title. Companies have to pay A LOT of money when they submit a game to MS, Sony, or Nintendo. If it fails, then they make fixes, re-submit and pay even more money.

On top of that, they're saving time programming a few achievements into Alice: Madness Returns to register certain events in American McGee's Alice instead of creating a whole new set of triggers and achievements for that.

Also, the market for the game outside of those purchasing/playing Madness Returns is pretty low.

Either way, it's a business and they're in it to make money, not please people (That's why a ton of crap and shovelware comes out all the time).

even on the business side of things, i think there are alot of people who would have bought the game as a stand alone title for 800 ms points, but will rent the new game, and as such not be willing to spend $10 to buy a game they won't be able to play once the rental period is over.

even on the business side of things, i think there are alot of people who would have bought the game as a stand alone title for 800 ms points, but will rent the new game, and as such not be willing to spend $10 to buy a game they won't be able to play once the rental period is over.

they probably did some market research and found the majority of players interested in American Mcgee's Alice were also interested in Madness Returns

so by offering AMA as an add-on rather than a standalone game they assure more sales of A:MR from day one, and discourage second hand sales and rentals (more new sales = more money for EA) and still manage to nab some extra money in the second hand and rental market, which usually gives them no income

that said, they may release it as standalone later on (like Valve did with Portal 1) and garner even more money lol

In fact I was even hoping for something like Rock Band 3 : 1250G on launch day.

1k for Madness Returns and 250G for Alice.

That way without online pass you still get a full 1000 and with the "DLC" you get an extra 250G : more points to spend on more achievements.

Well... That's not happening so I'll be happy with 1k :p

The only thing I don't get is that Madness takes "only" 4,5Go on the disk... So why make Alice a DLC when there is enough space left on the disk ??

A 56Ko unlock code would have been fine by me... If I can avoid another 30 minutes of download that way.

Edited by Wicelow

To me the issue seems pretty clear.

It is a separate game. It should have separate achievements.

I played the original Alice ages ago on the pc. It was a good game, but I dont really feel the need to play it again just to pop a few achievements.

If i was a completionist, it would probably would of made me avoid this game altogether.

Agreed, I bought this thinking that it was standalone, but noooooo. I have to the damn game to play it. Way to misdirect M$!!!!!!!

I did this also. :confused:

I thought I could play through the original before I bought the new one.

I now have have a Redeem Code for "American McGhee's Alice " I don't need.

***Has been claimed***

Edited by Tassie Tiger

Actually I don't think it makes taht much of a difference to split them up in 2 seperate Games or not.

The original Alice is needed to be played through to get all the references and comparisons to the prior wonderland (considering that even the prior Alices' into was just a fake memory she had and everything interweaving from that point on). So where's the difference in having Madnass returns as one and Alice, too, when both are needed (at very least for the dedicated player that is.)?

It shouldnt even be re released this game is appalling i spend most of the time on it wondering whether im going the right way, the graphics are appalling i know its an old game but they couldve done a better job in the upscale, i now have to complete it which means i now cant play madness returns untill i do :( (personal choice)

As much as I agree that having it be a separate game with it's own full (200 point) gamerscore would be awesome, I'm still happy that we get points for the game at all.

They could have just as easily put the full 1k into Madness and had none at all for the original Alice. At least this way there is a direct incentive to finish the first game.

• 3 weeks later...
In fact I was even hoping for something like Rock Band 3 : 1250G on launch day.

1k for Madness Returns and 250G for Alice.

That way without online pass you still get a full 1000 and with the "DLC" you get an extra 250G : more points to spend on more achievements.

Well... That's not happening so I'll be happy with 1k :p

The only thing I don't get is that Madness takes "only" 4,5Go on the disk... So why make Alice a DLC when there is enough space left on the disk ??

A 56Ko unlock code would have been fine by me... If I can avoid another 30 minutes of download that way.

Even if it was 1250, at 1000 points you wouldn't have a complete game so it doesn't matter

• 2 months later...

With the original Alice being a standalone XBLA release they probably would've made an ach for beating it on the highest difficulty level and probably wouldn't be able to do that so I'm glad the way it is ;-)

I'm totally fine with 6 achs for this.

Lets face it: The Gameplay mechanics are horrible by todays standards.

(Only the old one, MR is fine though)

So when you have to come up with 12 Achs for this game, what could possible achs be? This game is really linear and doesn't feature any collectables etc.

You could do beat x in a certain amount of time, beat x without getting hit/without dying, ...

All of those would be horrible.

I played on normal so the bad gameplay didn't gave me too much trouble and I could fully enjoy the dark atmosphere and brilliant soundtrack.

This Soundtrack is absolutely awesome!

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely stupid that you have to buy Madness Returns to play the original game when you can buy the damn game by itself on Live. I mean, seriously. What if someone wanted the first alice? They have to pay $10 for, then go out and buy another game just to play it? None of you see the problem with that?

I kind of agree with it being a xbla title. I rented madness returns and was disappointed I had to shell out 10 bucks for the 100% .That being said I don't think gamers would have liked it as a stand alone title on the arcade with the graphics and clunky controlls. I get that it is a PC port, i just think if they released it on live as it's own title they would have had to put more work into it polishing things up. This way EA is kind of saying if you buy madness you get the first game free which is cool and you don't expect as much. Just my take.