Should I start with American McGee's Alice?

vSully

I did & recommend doing so. You'll recognize characters and references you may not pick up on otherwise. And if you're going for achievement completion and therefore gonna play the original Alice anyway, they you definitely may as well play it first.

i am playing the first game first. i am on the last few levels of the game, so i can't comment on how much it ties in with madness, but its definitely a good game.

i've always been a fan of the saying "the beginning is a good place to start"

depends on setting, i did it on the easier setting and i think it took me around 5/6hrs, hardest thing is retracing steps due to platforming deaths and some annoying boss deaths, but if you watch a vid for a tip of what weapon its easy.

What weapon?

i used the ice wand pretty much 60% of the game, 30% being the crochet mallet 10% being the jaberwok staff which is op for the final boss.

i did the same thing, i pretty much used the knife (throwing) until i got the mallet, then i used that until i got the ice wand, then used that almost exclusively until the end

i used the jacks and the eye staff on the second to last boss battle, and the eye staff and blunderbuss on the last battle (the blunderbuss is hidden in low area during the final battle)

i used the ice wand pretty much 60% of the game, 30% being the crochet mallet 10% being the jaberwok staff which is op for the final boss.

i would like to add that the jacks are AWESOME in the right situations. in the mirror maze in the mad hatters section, the jacks annihilate anything that gets in your way because they bounce around in narrow hallways. same thing a little further on in the labyrinth.

aside from that though, i'd say the same thing though. mallet until you get the ice wand, then its jacks in narrow hallways, icewand in wide open spaces.

• 1 month later...

How come there aren't any threads "stickied" in this forum, yet? This thread should be one of them, since there are over 900 views (as of this moment). I think it's a question MANY people would want to know, coming to the game for the first time.

I played the entire "Alice" game, first. I'm glad I did, not only to reacquaint myself with the game again (I have "Alice" on the PC), but for the fact that movement through the second game is far-improved over the original. Also, once you get used to what you can do in Alice: Madness Returns... you'll probably find yourself falling off of a cliff in the first game, because you thought you could reach the other side (sorry... no multi-jumps in the original Alice)!

Play the first game, get acquainted with the characters (don't get attached to them... you might cry alongside Alice), then see how your character (Alice) feels about them in the sequel!