Advice and Recommendations

EngagedMetal7

Hi all, I am not a traditional halo fan, I own 1, 2, 3 and Anniversary and have played the others. I loved the campaign and MP in Halo 1 and anniversary, and the SP and MP were enjoyable in 2 and 3. However I felt that ODST was a chore to play and I couldn't finish reach because I got too bored, the reach multiplayer was also extremely disappointing as I felt I was just playing the same bland map over and over with no tactics :/

What I want to ask of some of you more ardent followers of the series is if you think Halo 4 will return the multiplayer and Single Player aspects back to its roots, or if it will continue in the direction that it has been traveling in. I love the release date for this as COD is the only game I will be getting around this time, but if it seems to be done following reach's formula I will pass on this.

The only reason I ask this now is because if I don't buy Halo then I'll be getting XCOM or Dishonoured which release on the 9th, AC3 and Blops 2 are confirmed.

Cheers.

its been said that its like halo 3 and reach had a baby.

also LOL COD

Hmm, not promising, the gameplay vids look amazing though.

Also stop hating on COD, it is such a completely different game from halo they are incomparable, so grow up and respect the fact that just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. For a bunch of more 'mature' gamers you guys are kind of pathetic.

Also stop hating on COD, it is such a completely different game from halo they are incomparable, so grow up and respect the fact that just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. For a bunch of more 'mature' gamers you guys are kind of pathetic.

CoD sucks

You suck

http://i.imgur.com/aoQkW.gif

I kinda sorta used to be like you, asking for advice as if I should buy this and ignore that, etc. Then I realized people have different opinions, and I should stop asking and make up my own mind instead of being lazy and have other people make up my own mind for me.

Be free and live life, my man. Don't fall into a loop.

Yes, I just saw Looper.

I used to be like you, asking for advice as if I should buy this and ignore that, etc. Then I realized people have different opinions, and I should stop asking and make up my own mind instead of being lazy and have other people make up my own mind for me.

Be free and live life, my man. Don't fall into a loop.

Yes, I just saw Looper.

I wasn't asking whether I should buy it, I was asking whether it would be more like the old halo's or the recent trash.

People have different opinions dude, you say the recent Halos are trash, whereas I liked Reach and ODST. Make up your mind.

It is my opinion that the recent halo's are trash (at least compared to the first three, not as stand alone games), I have nothing against other people having opinions that differ from mine, I take offense when their opinions are derogatory or lead to personal insults, or they make a judgement on something they have not experienced or have very little experience of (the plague of humanity), also if you had read my original post then you would realize that I can not make up my own mind because the game is not out yet, and I plan to purchase either this or dishonoured / XCOM on sep 9th.

It is my opinion that the recent halo's are trash (at least compared to the first three, not as stand alone games), I have nothing against other people having opinions that differ from mine, I take offense when their opinions are derogatory or lead to personal insults, or they make a judgement on something they have not experienced or have very little experience of (the plague of humanity), also if you had read my original post then you would realize that I can not make up my own mind because the game is not out yet, and I plan to purchase either this or dishonoured / XCOM on sep 9th.

Yet you were expecting one of us to give our opinion if Halo 4 was returning to the original trilogy's roots? I think I'm overthinking this...

You'd think that if someone here managed to play Halo 4 already, they'd be bragging about it all over these forums. Ha.

Glad to see you make a decision, at the very least.

Anyways, this thread can be deleted as I am no longer interested in buying halo 4, just a rental for me :D

Was going to say this. If you're already set on COD then you know that's the kind of game you like. No reason to buy two purely multiplayer games of the same genre releasing like a week apart.

I played Halo 4 (at the Roosterteeth expo thing in Austin this summer) and it doesn't feel like Halo 1 or 2. I don't really remember Reach or Halo 3 well so I can't pass judgment there.

Buy XCOM for sure. That game will be amazing and have huge replay value. Dishonored will have very little replay value I expect.

You'd think that if someone here managed to play Halo 4 already, they'd be bragging about it all over these forums. Ha.

Why would anyone brag about it? As seen above, I played it and I think it's great. It was really fun. But why would I want to shove it in your face just to tell you I did it? Not to mention I'd be bombarded with questions about it which I don't want to answer (and won't, so don't bother).

I also don't care if a bunch of teenagers are jealous of me for it.

Was going to say this. If you're already set on COD then you know that's the kind of game you like. No reason to buy two purely multiplayer games of the same genre releasing like a week apart.

I played Halo 4 (at the Roosterteeth expo thing in Austin this summer) and it doesn't feel like Halo 1 or 2. I don't really remember Reach or Halo 3 well so I can't pass judgment there.

Buy XCOM for sure. That game will be amazing and have huge replay value. Dishonored will have very little replay value I expect.

Wait... you mean someone on these forums actually decided to pass on helpful information without being a dick? Impossible.

No, really man thanks for that, I really want XCOM, but for some reason can't seem to get hyped for it?

However I felt that ODST was a chore to play and I couldn't finish reach because I got too bored, the reach multiplayer was also extremely disappointing as I felt I was just playing the same bland map over and over with no tactics :/

I don't like to get involved with these sorts of conversations, but what Halo game has ever had 'tactics'?

When the loadouts in Reach were released I tried to form a FF team, to try make the game more tactical, but I felt Halo doesn't really lean towards 'tactical gameplay'.

Sure, some game types (Invasion specifically) are more co-operative and tactical in which points to take, but I don't see how you can generalize that every map is 'bland' and there is no tactics, when the gameplay style doesn't really suit it?

Also, this question would have been perfect to ask once the game was released, so 'seasoned' Halo players could let you know what they thought of Halo 4 gameplay in comparison to Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST etc etc....

Shame to hear you're not buying H4 simply because of different people's opinions. Although its understandable when you're purchasing COD, AC3 and other games all around the same time, and a choice needs to be made. If only we were millionaires ;)

OP: Halo has always been what you make of it. I think one of the biggest reasons people remember Halo 1-3 being "better" is because forge didn't exist in 1 and 2, and wasn't nearly as prevalent in matchmaking in 3 as it is in Reach.

I realize Reach had other things people didn't like, such as strafe acceleration not being quite right, reticle bloom, and AA's. However, I'll reiterate that Halo has always been what you make of it.

The problem most people have is they're unwilling to play customs. They think that having a high k/d or rank in matchmaking makes them cool or that somehow other people care about it. The truth is you can have all the stats in the world without having any fun, while you can have loads of fun with no stats.

Reach has had the option to recreate the "feel" of earlier Halos since launch more or less. Play customs with friends, tweak movement speed and damage, remove AA's, etc and you can wind up with something very similar (apart from reticle bloom) to the Anniversary playlist that so many Halo die-hards loved so much. We never had to wait for 343i to do it for us; it's just that most people are too lazy to put forth the effort.

Sure, it takes time to find a regular playing group of guys you can do customs with, but that's what sites like 7sins are good for if you don't have local players. Personally I've always done my customs in LAN parties at my house, but those are few and far between these days so I'll probably switch to online customs. All my friends are having babies lol, and my wife and I have no desire for kids.

Like I said, it's all in what you make it. My friends and I have this one gametype with 300% normal movement speed, 50% gravity, and everyone with overshields. I can't remember if I tweaked damage. It has infinite ammo and everyone spawns with rockets. We call it shao-lin rockets, after the shao-lin monks (spelling?). It's this crazy kung-fu fighting, warp-speed running, slow-motion jumping, jousting match with rockets. It's not Halo in the traditional sense, and yet it is exactly Halo because we've played customs since day 1 back in 2001 when CE came out. Oh yeah, and it's fun as all hell.

You will get out of Halo's multiplayer what you put into it. No effort, no reward, great effort, and great times will be had by all.

Good gaming to you and good luck.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

Wow...

Fuck Halo 4.

The game might be great but the community are a bunch of arrogant cunts.

Where's that crying baby picture I had around here... I thought I put it on the desk in... Maybe it's in the drawer?

AH! Found it!

http://www.kcconfidential.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms.jpg

Wait... you mean someone on these forums actually decided to pass on helpful information without being a dick? Impossible.

No, really man thanks for that, I really want XCOM, but for some reason can't seem to get hyped for it?

I really like strategy games so that's probably part of it, but I think XCOM looks fantastic. There's a lot more to the gameplay than simply ordering soldiers around - you have a base that you have to manage as well, dealing with politics and managing research and money. It's pretty deep.

I'd say you should at least try getting a demo of it (I'm not sure there are any, but Steam probably has one at least) and try it out. If not, maybe just buy it used after a few weeks. At Gamestop you can buy used games and return them for full value within 7 days if you don't like it.

You could also check out the XCOM reviews. They released last night and they're routinely getting 100% scores and I have yet to see even one below 90%

I really like strategy games so that's probably part of it, but I think XCOM looks fantastic. There's a lot more to the gameplay than simply ordering soldiers around - you have a base that you have to manage as well, dealing with politics and managing research and money. It's pretty deep.

I'd say you should at least try getting a demo of it (I'm not sure there are any, but Steam probably has one at least) and try it out. If not, maybe just buy it used after a few weeks. At Gamestop you can buy used games and return them for full value within 7 days if you don't like it.

You could also check out the XCOM reviews. They released last night and they're routinely getting 100% scores and I have yet to see even one below 90%

I'm getting it new first week, it looks really good and nothing like it on xbox. Reviews are superb too.

Wow...

Fuck Halo 4.

The game might be great but the community are a bunch of arrogant cunts.

I actually think outside of warcraft the halo community can't be beat. Sure its got the hardcore guys who can tell you the exact dimensions of the pillar of autumn, and like every game its got a slight percent of gamer trolls, but for most part the players are good solid folk who happen to share a love for one of (if not the) best multiplayer fps ever made. What other gaming community has produced so many machinima videos, fan made forged maps & game variants than halo has.

I'm actually shocked more people haven't mentioned playing it at one of the many expos its been previewed at. I've not really heard roosterteeth mentioned halo 4 much other than the odd news story and their Halo 4 RTX horse to preview the new forgeworld.

With the talk of XCOM, I tell you a really under rated sci-fi strategy fps recently Starhawk on the PS3. It came out to so little fanfair but plays a neat game, really helps to play as a team to win.

As a shooter Halo blows it away, but the strategy angles like unit building make it really interesting.