Dirty Laps

Lavindathar

Just need a bit of clarification :

Not sure why, but sometimes when I start a lap (not the first) it starts as a dirty lap.

Basically, 0.1 seconds after I cross the line and its already dirty. Anyone know why this is? It's really killing some of my leaderboard times.

My only ideas are :

)Crossing the line damaged. I play with full damage on. Maybe sometimes having took damage on the previous lap causes it? If so, im turning damage off, as thats just daft. Virtually impossible to not take damage on your starting lap...

)Using a rewind on the previous lap?

Could really use some help figuring this out so I can stop it!

Just need a bit of clarification :

Not sure why, but sometimes when I start a lap (not the first) it starts as a dirty lap.

Basically, 0.1 seconds after I cross the line and its already dirty. Anyone know why this is? It's really killing some of my leaderboard times.

My only ideas are :

)Crossing the line damaged. I play with full damage on. Maybe sometimes having took damage on the previous lap causes it? If so, im turning damage off, as thats just daft. Virtually impossible to not take damage on your starting lap...

)Using a rewind on the previous lap?

Could really use some help figuring this out so I can stop it!

if the last turn of the lap was taken dirty it will make your next lap also dirty.

think about it on catyluna gp. if you cut across the last S turn at the end you get a dirty penalty, but you end up gaining more speed on the straight than you would have had if you took the previous turn clean. this extra speed would force your next lap to be dirty.

It's nothing to do with the last turn. The tracks are split into sectors as you know. Draft, rewind, or make contact with another car in sector 3 of any track, the next lap will be dirty.

It's to stop people taking massive run ups, or drafting other cars to start the next lap at an impossible speed that would muck up the legitimate lap time leaderboards.

If you go off track in sector 3, you can rewind and take the corner again, and this will not dirty your lext lap. Just be careful not to draft the car in front by accident.

Edit - Pretty sure I read somewhere that the draft distance is 200ft

Edited by Rivercurse

Ive never seen drafting cause me to have a lap

Can someone explain why drafting is considered dirty, when its a normal part of racing?

Drafting reduces wind resistance, helping you accelerate easier. If you play it right you can get a faster time then if you raced without drafting anyone.

Being drafted does cause your time to be dirty as well. Sometimes I'll be in first then a racer will come close behind and I'm driving perfectly and then my time will be dirty. I'm not sure why being drafted screws your time but it does.

You asked why it makes your time dirty, so I answered... To make it even simpler it can cause you to have a faster lap time than if you didn't draft any car.

I agree with Emperor, I fail to see WHY it's dirty.

It's a normal part of racing, and IRL, teams actually slipstream off their partner during qualifying to get better times.

You asked why it makes your time dirty, so I answered... To make it even simpler it can cause you to have a faster lap time than if you didn't draft any car.

Wait, so having the knowledge/skill to understand basic physics/racing and how to achieve better times is considered dirty racing?

Wow.

We in this thread is calling it racing dirty not Turn 10. They want the true lap times to done in rivals mode with no interference of any type. In theory someone who is drafting a car around the whole track can have a faster time then someone who doesn't in the same car. Bottom line is this is a video game not real life. Also if you don't agree with the way it is in the game go to the FM forums and let them know. I'm just telling you how the game works and you guys are getting hostile with me.

Worldeater is totally right, the word 'dirty' is the problem. It's not the official term, just something that we've all slipped into using.

I was reading the FM boards earlier and some guys were calling them certified and uncertified laps.

Drafting isn't dirty racing. It just means that it's giving you the conceivable advantage of a quicker start to your lap than a guy who doesn't draft. That's why if you draft in the last sector of your previous lap, the next one starts uncertified.

Forget the negative connotations of the word 'dirty', and this really should make sense.

Well, at least you have a well reasoned and coherent argument.

I gotta agree though tbh. I see what he's saying, it's an unfair advantage if you will, but if you happen to be behind someone then good fortune I say, especially as this "decertifies" my lap like leaving the track does.

It happens IRL, and those teams don't have their laps scrapped lol...the Ferrari F1 teams are masters of slingshotting each other, especially Alonso and Massa, they had it down to an art.

If thats how the game works, then question answered, but I'm gonna put forward my well reasoned, coherent argument.

I think it's bullshit.

It's nothing to do with the last turn. The tracks are split into sectors as you know. Draft, rewind, or make contact with another car in sector 3 of any track, the next lap will be dirty.

It's to stop people taking massive run ups, or drafting other cars to start the next lap at an impossible speed that would muck up the legitimate lap time leaderboards.

If you go off track in sector 3, you can rewind and take the corner again, and this will not dirty your lext lap. Just be careful not to draft the car in front by accident.

Edit - Pretty sure I read somewhere that the draft distance is 200ft

This is your answer. No "warnings" are allowed during the last sector of the previous lap or the new lap.

This includes being off the track, drafting or being drafted or making contact with another opponent.

Can't believe i'm being drawn into an argument like this over a game I don't even really care about, but whatever.

II see what he's saying, it's an unfair advantage if you will

Yes it is.

Hence those laps where it applies aren't applicable on the certified leaderboards, which is entirely the point.

if you happen to be behind someone then good fortune I say

If you were driving around this track IRL on lap 4/5 and you started lap 5 in draft behind another car, and you went on to complete an quicker lap time then i'd probably be inclinded to agree that it was good fortune on your part.

But this isn't RL though. It remains a game, and therefore it doesn't really matter what Alonso and Massa may or may not do in Forumla 1. If that kind of circumstantial fast start to a lap was allowed, then the serious guys would be exploiting it on every track by allowing their friends to draft them into the next lap, which would result in unnatural starting speeds for their cars when compared to those that are hotlapping properly, which would in turn defeat the purpose of the certified leaderboards.

If thats how the game works, then question answered
Well, it is how the game works right now, and it really is the fairest way all round as far as i'm concerned.

The option is still there for you to pit yourself only against other uncertified or 'dirty' laps if that's what you really want to do, but the slowest 'clean' lap is always going to be seen as quicker by Turn 10 as it doesn't specify where you uncertified your lap. You might have drafted a guy, you might have cut a corner, you might have used other racers as buffers in order to turn a corner quicker than you would have been able to do by braking properly, etc..

Ofc, you can feel free to put forward your reasoned and coherent "it's bullshit" argument to them if you like. After all they are the guys who can actually make changes to the way it all works.

Personally, I think it's perfect the way it is.

Can't believe i'm being drawn into an argument like this over a game I don't even really care about, but whatever.

Yes it is.

Hence those laps where it applies aren't applicable on the certified leaderboards, which is entirely the point.

If you were driving around this track IRL on lap 4/5 and you started lap 5 in draft behind another car, and you went on to complete an quicker lap time then i'd probably be inclinded to agree that it was good fortune on your part.

But this isn't RL though. It remains a game, and therefore it doesn't really matter what Alonso and Massa may or may not do in Forumla 1. If that kind of circumstantial fast start to a lap was allowed, then the serious guys would be exploiting it on every track by allowing their friends to draft them into the next lap, which would result in unnatural starting speeds for their cars when compared to those that are hotlapping properly, which would in turn defeat the purpose of the certified leaderboards.

Well, it is how the game works right now, and it really is the fairest way all round as far as i'm concerned.

The option is still there for you to pit yourself only against other uncertified or 'dirty' laps if that's what you really want to do, but the slowest 'clean' lap is always going to be seen as quicker by Turn 10 as it doesn't specify where you uncertified your lap. You might have drafted a guy, you might have cut a corner, you might have used other racers as buffers in order to turn a corner quicker than you would have been able to do by braking properly, etc..

Ofc, you can feel free to put forward your reasoned and coherent "it's bullshit" argument to them if you like. After all they are the guys who can actually make changes to the way it all works.

Personally, I think it's perfect the way it is.

I think you misunderstood the humour in my post, I thought you knew me better than that :)

I agree, it's the fairest way, it's just annoying when I'm starting laps and they are classed as dirty when I rarely leave the track.

I enjoy trying to better myself on leaderboard times, and something as unfortunate as drafting can ruin quite a few, and it's not like I can avoid being behind people :)

Gotta agree with the well reasoned and coherent arguments already raised. I can see why its done, but when I'm on a hot clean lap in a race and then right at the end a Drivatar moves from left to right behind me and pops into my slipstream, it pisses me off that that lap is counted as dirty. Hmph.

I enjoy trying to better myself on leaderboard times, and something as unfortunate as drafting can ruin quite a few, and it's not like I can avoid being behind people :)

The way I play it is to win the race first, not caring about the lap times. Once the gold is out of the way on the post race screen, just press X to challenge the guy above you in the leaderboards, then just hotlap over and over on that track against his ghost until your happy with your leaderboard placing. This way you dont have to worry about drafting uncertifying your lap, and you have a clear track to play with all the way round.

The way I play it is to win the race first, not caring about the lap times. Once the gold is out of the way on the post race screen, just press X to challenge the guy above you in the leaderboards, then just hotlap over and over on that track against his ghost until your happy with your leaderboard placing. This way you dont have to worry about drafting uncertifying your lap, and you have a clear track to play with all the way round.

Aye Ive done it occasionally, problem is, it makes career take twice as long ;)