Well, How Is It?

CyanideSpirit

So far it seems to be on the same level as the first two. Minus avatar awards though :/

I've played a few hours worth 'm enjoying it a lot.

no avatar or gamer pics? BS! I loved getting them in the last two. I just played the first area, and it seemed significantly more difficult than the first two to me.

It plays a lot better than the first two.. I like that you can reflect projectiles back, instead of being a bullet sponge. So far, it just feels like a more polished game. I could be wrong, as I'm still early into it, but the map seems to be kind of small, but then again, there's the big unused portion in the first game, and the sea took up a lot of part two's.. Also, I've found myself actually lol'ing at some lines. Didn't do that for either of the first two.. "More of the same, only better" applies, me thinks.

It's ok but I found it a hell of alot harder combat wise than the first two which I wasn't enjoying, it's mostly the same as the first two just a massive focus on combat now.

I had the same feelings; I just wasn't sure about it... it's too different from the first two games to be a 'proper' DeathSpank game. It's BLOCK or DIE!

Still, it passed the time!

To be honest, I'm feeling it's the worst of the lot and it all comes down to the difficulty. I've popped it right down to easy and yet you still get arseraped by archers constantly. It's really sucking the fun out of it for me as it's artificial difficulty plain and simple. At this point I'm not even going to bother with insane as easy is hard enough. A challenge is good, yes, but not when playing on fucking easy! What were they thinking?

Other thing that bothers me is this. In any dungeon crawler type game (including the 2 previous Deathspank games), you actually felt like you got stronger and that made the later parts managable. In this, I'm at Barnacle Island and still feel as piss weak as I did on the first island. You go to a weapon vendor and all they stock is old weapons you already picked up. Seems the loot is predetermined so you don't even get anything cool out of chests etc.

I'll just be happy to finish off and move on to something else. A big disappointment and this is coming from a huge DS fan.

To be honest, I'm feeling it's the worst of the lot and it all comes down to the difficulty. I've popped it right down to easy and yet you still get arseraped by archers constantly. It's really sucking the fun out of it for me as it's artificial difficulty plain and simple. At this point I'm not even going to bother with insane as easy is hard enough. A challenge is good, yes, but not when playing on fucking easy! What were they thinking?

Other thing that bothers me is this. In any dungeon crawler type game (including the 2 previous Deathspank games), you actually felt like you got stronger and that made the later parts managable. In this, I'm at Barnacle Island and still feel as piss weak as I did on the first island. You go to a weapon vendor and all they stock is old weapons you already picked up. Seems the loot is predetermined so you don't even get anything cool out of chests etc.

I'll just be happy to finish off and move on to something else. A big disappointment and this is coming from a huge DS fan.

I've messaged most of my XBLA friends the following;

BLOCK OR DIE!

and this seems to be THE BACONING's premise. Hold block, release to move people away. Hold block, release to reflect projectiles. Block, release, attack, repeat.

I found SHIELD BASH was getting in the way of my usual block, release, attack, block mentality I gained from the first two games. Only, then, to find that my assailant was half-way across the screen! And I had to start all over again! (This was most prevalent in The Arena, where big-guys would do big-damage if I didn't block)

Oh, and INSANE really is just BLOCK or DIE! I was expecting rainbow coloured everything and (even more) gibberish coming from DeathSpank! But, alas, it's just a plain-boring difficulty setting! YAWN!

And NO gamerpics or avatar awards! Just 25GS!

DLC anyone? (Maybe not, huh?)

6/10 - Could've been so much better. (Not the worst game on XBLA!) Mr Gilbert, you are sorely missed!

I've messaged most of my XBLA friends the following;

BLOCK OR DIE!

and this seems to be THE BACONING's premise. Hold block, release to move people away. Hold block, release to reflect projectiles. Block, release, attack, repeat.

I found SHIELD BASH was getting in the way of my usual block, release, attack, block mentality I gained from the first two games. Only, then, to find that my assailant was half-way across the screen! And I had to start all over again! (This was most prevalent in The Arena, where big-guys would do big-damage if I didn't block)

Oh, and INSANE really is just BLOCK or DIE! I was expecting rainbow coloured everything and (even more) gibberish coming from DeathSpank! But, alas, it's just a plain-boring difficulty setting! YAWN!

And NO gamerpics or avatar awards! Just 25GS!

DLC anyone? (Maybe not, huh?)

6/10 - Could've been so much better. (Not the worst game on XBLA!) Mr Gilbert, you are sorely missed!

Amen to that. I'm probably going to try a run through in co-op and see if that eases the pain a little but like you say, the magic of the previous two games has gone. I've also only just spotted that projectiles the enemies fire actually home in on you so you can't even dodge the bloody arrows!

I've also only just spotted that projectiles the enemies fire actually home in on you so you can't even dodge the bloody arrows!

Not quite. The projectiles are predictibly fired... ie, aiming to where you're moving to, rather than where you are. If you're quick to move in a different direction, it IS possible to dodge them... but it's REALLY tough against GUNNERS, especially, as their projectile is super-fast!

The DEMON FIREBALLs are homing, but slow. By the time you reach them, you should be pretty proficient at PERFECT REFLECTs.

i love it, beat the crap outta the first 2 so this was a definite purchase. Seems alot tighter, i do miss the free gamerpics and avatar awards though. Theres some great lines thatll have you crying for hours. For any deathspank fan, do it, if not, theres always rock of ages i suppose.

Haha yeah it's very polished at least in the combat. I do however miss the colourfulness of the world map from previous games but all in all a worthy purchase.

i loved the series to be totally honest

all that changed with this though - i hate it - i started like always on normal to be destroyed by archers - fine - dropped it to easy to be destroyed by archers what?

there appears to be no difference between these difficulties

who's bright idea was it to limit health potions to 5 and change the speed with which the food is consumed

block or die - that's very true and if i could master it - maybe it would be more fun

the fun is gone, the atmosphere is there but it just feels off

have just burnt the first thong and it'll only get worse from here i guess

completion is totally out of the question for me

will definitely try before buying if they produce another episode of the series

Here is my personal review, definitely some bias because I am a fan of the Deathspank Series and Hothead Games in general.

Gameplay- The gameplay is great, like the first two, but with a new features that improve the game- bashing and reflecting- It seems to be the same old deathspank besides this factor. It also has great length for an arcade game. If you are a fan of the last two games this should be a buy. For gameplay I give 8/10.

Graphics- The graphics are like a repeat of the previous two games, except a little more polished, and a "shiny/colorful" effect to it. Definitely great graphics for an arcade game. Graphics, i give 7/10

Controls/HUD- If you have played the original Deathspank games, it is much like the previous two games yet again. The HUD interface has an appealing look to it and the controls are very basic, not to mention you can assign what button does what(i.e. potion/weapon/item). Controls/HUD, i give a 8/10

Storyline- The story line is not all in depth and you need to have some understanding of the previous two games to follow the story perfectly. However, the comedy and choices you can make in the campaign, really makes up for the loss of depth in the storyline- for storyline I give 9/10.

Overall I will have to give this game a 8/10.

Agreed on the BS difficulty. The shield blocking isn't a consistent tactic when you're swarmed for every angle and lose 75% of your health the second you release RT.

This is the worst of the three, hands down. I'll finish it, simply to lessen the feeling of being ripped off for $15, but I won't recommend this to anyone, opposed to the first two DS games, which were a blast.

Don't increase the difficulty if the player can't defend themselves from it, Hothead! It's not a lack of skill, you're a walking crash test dummy.

Don't increase the difficulty if the player can't defend themselves from it, Hothead! It's not a lack of skill, you're a walking crash test dummy.

I think that's why OUTHOUSES exist. You can't actually die. You can chip off a few enemies per 'life' and hope you get through it to the next 'wave' of enemies further down the, all too, linear path!

GUMMI BEARs are irritating, 'cos if you don't move out of the way they take off 50% of your health in a single 'charge' attack. Then knock off a sizeable chunk of health when you're blocking. When there's more than one, you'll die! Then, when you come back, they 'charge' again!

The only time it gets really frustrating is in a BOSS battle (MINORQUE, CONDUCTORQUE, MIDGARD SERPENT & ANTI-SPANK) where you have full health, you accidentally mis-time a block release and you're suddenly dead.... THEN, have to start all over again! Not fun if this happens in MIDGARD SERPENT's fourth round!!

All in all, block moves make the game different. But it hasn't been implemented properly and it feels like a punishment to players rather than an enhancement. Again, could have done better!

HOTHEAD GAMES, I am disappointed in you.

(tl;dr)

EDIT: I'll just put this here;

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/the-baconing-review/

Edited by tastefulmrship
joystiq seems to agree with me...