Suppressor removes you off map?

TJ CKY

Probably a stupid question,

but does having a suppressor equipped on your gun remove you coming up as a red dot on the enemy map when you shoot?

That's how it's supposed to work, but it's currently bugged for about half the guns in the game, meaning you're still showing up on the mini-map when you fire the suppressed weapon.

The AKS-74u is the only the suppressed carbine that's actually working right now, I think, while the M16A3 & A4 are the only bugged ARs. Not sure about the rest.

I seem to recall DICE tweeting something about looking into the problem.

Edited by Mabro

The triangles I see are when I'm spotting people, but they still show as dots on mini-map I think. Dots on mini-map when they fire too.

I had a question on the same topic. Is the flash suppressor also supposed to not show on the mini-map? I understand it would still make sound, but if it doesn't make a flash and doesn't appear on mini-map, I'd prefer that to a full suppressor especially if it doesn't nerf accuracy as much.

Also, someone posted in another forum a spreadsheet that had a lot of info including which guns are showing on mini-map suppressed:

BF3 Spreadsheet

I don't know how accurate the info is, but I've used that to guide some of my choices in weaponry.

Probably a stupid question,

but does having a suppressor equipped on your gun remove you coming up as a red dot on the enemy map when you shoot?

Yes indeed! This won't prevent enemies from spotting you, but you won't appear on the map by merely shooting anymore.

NO it's not!!!!!

At least not for some weapons, but in the upcomming patch this should be patched and then....it WILL remove you from the map when you shoot

For people getting on my case; whether or not the game's bugged, I stated what the intent of the attachment is. As has been stated, a patch is on the way, so ultimately it won't matter for long.

I wasn't aware of this,so they've gone all CoD and made it show on the mini map when you fire,i thought everytime a red triangle appeared it's been spotted by some one.

I'm not sure about the first one, but it was the same in Bad Company 2. Engineer weapons and the VSS sniper rifle had silencers attached and would not show up on the map when fired. I actually got quite a lot of use out of the VSS in the later days of BC2 because of its suppression.

The triangles I see are when I'm spotting people, but they still show as dots on mini-map I think. Dots on mini-map when they fire too.

I had a question on the same topic. Is the flash suppressor also supposed to not show on the mini-map? I understand it would still make sound, but if it doesn't make a flash and doesn't appear on mini-map, I'd prefer that to a full suppressor especially if it doesn't nerf accuracy as much.

Yeah, people don't get spot icons unless they've actually been spotted, but unsilenced fire and being spotted will put a player on the mini-map.

A flash suppressor only prevents muzzle flash, and that's it. If you have one equipped, your gun won't create light when it fires. It will still be heard and you will still appear on the mini-map. This will also *not* prevent scope glint on sniper rifles, there's no way to prevent that except by picking a sight with a shorter zoom distance.

I see and hear people shooting, but I don't see anyone on the minimap unless they were spotted.

This is what i thought (i posted earlier in this thread).

it was the same in Bad Company 2.

And i never noticed it in BFBC2 either. Not saying its not true though,i'll just have to check it out next time i play.

I might have this all wrong, but this is my first battlefield game, and all my friends have said that you show up on the mini-map if you've taken damage. I've been playing by this the whole time, and with 36+ hours it seems like a lot of time to be playing by the wrong rules lol. So is it when you fire, or when you're damaged that you show up on the mini-map? :confused:

I've noticed people firing in this and previous games, but I may be confusing it with CoD. The red dot just flashes a second with the gunfire. I've found peoples location that way before, but it isn't always the best tool to use. Those mini-maps only cover so much distance and if someone is firing within that circle then it very well could be in your direction. By the time you check the map and translate that to where you should be looking you could be dead. I try and find people in buildings by looking at the mini-map if I hear gunfire and don't see where it is coming from.