Best piece of armor in the game - and how to get it

Brambledamble

Well someone just revived this thread, so I'll post something related to the mask.

***FYI*** You do not have to have the Nuka Cola Quest or even have visited Girdershade at all.

I was preparing to do the Nuka Cola Challenge, so I was going around collecting Quantums. I went to the factory, found the note, got the key to the safe, got the formula, went to the Red Racer Factory, and outside I encountered Ledoux.

I never had the quest, nor did I even visit Girdershade before. I even had both factories already discovered prior to doing this.

In other words, you can get this at anytime, as long as you go to the Nuka factory, get the necessary stuff, then go straight to the Red Racer Factory.

And I agree, it's the best *headpiece*, but maybe not the best piece of gear in the game. That's difficult to argue depending on people's playstyles.

You can only get this if you have not completed the Nuka cola Quest!

On my first play I already completed the Nuka Cola Quest after reading about this, and Ledoux never appeared.

On my second play he did appear after finding the note and getting the formula (still have to finish the quest but waiting for Broken Steel to do it, with over 60 quantums stocked in my locker. I don't want to waste experiencepoints).

And it really is one of the best pieces of gear in the game. It never wears down and it gives you more points in VATS. What's not to like about that?

The best armor by far is the Winterized T-51b Power Armor, Helmet. You can get it after betting the DLC they let in you the armory to take anything you want. No matter what the armor can never get damaged has a DR of 45 and the CND never go's down. Found this awsome to have never having to look for armor to repair mine or anything.

Wow, that one was a bitch to get, so I figured I should share my insights with you.

The item in question is:

Ledoux's Hockey Mask

- 5 DEF

- +25 AP (yeah thats right, Action Boys)

To get this, you have to:

- travel to Girdershade and start the quest "The Nuka Cola Challenge".

- travel to the Nuka Cola Factory (straight South of Megaton)

- go in, go left, read all files at the computer, look at the safe you can't open, go back to the entrance, go through the big door opposite of the entrance (100 lockpick required), go right, go upstairs, go along the way to a dead end, go downstairs, talk to a robot named Milo and win a speech challenge, look at all files in the terminal, kill Milo and take all his stuff, go back to the entrance, open the safe and get the formula

- go outside and walk straight north

- find Red Racer Factory

- talk to Ledoux and sell him the formula

- kill him and his friends and take his mask

You can do this neither before starting the quest, nor after completing the quest, as Ledoux and his buddys simply WON'T BE THERE.

Post any questions here.

Or get to level 20 and choose Grim Reaper's Sprint, which pretty much renders the mask useless.

And don't say i don't want it. I've had it for ages, and it's not really that good. Little protection, little sell value. +25 AP? Bah, stupid mask.

Thanks. I've done the quest, but never killed the guys. Should have guessed there was a special item waiting.

But to be honest, except that you can look like Jason Vorhees it's not that special. True, you find enough spares to repair it. But I prefer Sheriff's Hat & Lucky Shades over this one. Still, good find.

The best armor by far is the Winterized T-51b Power Armor, Helmet. You can get it after betting the DLC they let in you the armory to take anything you want. No matter what the armor can never get damaged has a DR of 45 and the CND never go's down. Found this awsome to have never having to look for armor to repair mine or anything.

pity it looks bad, im sticking with tesla, even though theres repair costs, its better than looking like a deep sea diver :p But yea this is the best armour in the game, nobody needs AP bonuses, at least I never need any, as soon as i kill something it goes right back to full

Overall, I prefer the Ranger Armor from the Reilly's Rangers quest (+5 AP, +1 LUK, 32 DEF AND it looks good).

Headgear-wise I'm still undecided between Ledoux's Mask (+5 DEF, +25 AP) or the combination of Poplar's Hood (+10 Sneak, +1 AGI, 2 DEF) and Lucky Sunglasses (+1 LUK, 1 DEF).

Yep, the Reilly's armor is the best. Reminds me of the Colonial Marines from ALIENS (and it's obviously ripped straight out of that film). When you run into the isolated team, they even got a chick on a heavy gun (ala Vasquez), a Comtech (ala Hudson), and a flat-topped leader (ala Hicks). NOTE: If you want BOTH Eugene and the Ranger armor, make sure only the leader of the team makes it out of the hospital alive and then you can scavenge all the best Reilly's gear off of the dead.

I liked wearing Three Dog's wrap with this get-up. My character was a chick and it made me feel more like my own version of Vasquez.