Worst/most disturbing book you've read...?

TeamFreeWill

Read any books lately that you literally had to throw away, because it was so bad or disturbing...?

I recently read 'The Painted Bird' by Jerzy Kosinski. I read the entire book - despite how uncomfortable many of the scenes were. In the end, I actually threw the book away - I refused to pass it on to my 'book buddy' because I found the entire book so...well, it's just not needed, in my opinion =/

A few people I know call it an artist book, I just don't see it. It was genuinely disturbing to read. So yea, any books that have disturbed/disgusted you lately...?

Had a quick browse through a few of the pages, and couldn't see a topic like this, if I've been blind - apologies.

• 1 month later...

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

It's technically not a book, it's a 10 page short story. It's also one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. You can find it here:

http://pub.psi.cc/ihnmaims.txt

It's good, but it always gives me the shivers.

Edited by Inebriated Jedi

American Psycho was pretty messed up, and this is coming from someone who's pretty desensitized. Comparing it to the movie, there was a lot they didn't include with good reason though I guess a fair amount was implied but not shown. There are some things that should not have a rat shoved in them >_>

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a book has ever done that to me but Night by Elie Wiesel is probably the most disturbing I can think of because of how it's a true story. It makes you sick when you think of some of the things he describes and come back to reality and grip that this was happening.

I remember how my teacher had asked the class if, "We enjoyed the book." I understood what he meant but I guess I wish he had phrased it better. Or maybe he did it intentionally because he smirked when I looked a bit perplexed when people said they did. Who knows. Anyway, I was going off topic.

Nope, haven't read that many disturbing books but I'm sure there are some acclaimed ones out there.

American Psycho was pretty messed up, and this is coming from someone who's pretty desensitized. Comparing it to the movie, there was a lot they didn't include with good reason though I guess a fair amount was implied but not shown. There are some things that should not have a rat shoved in them >_>

This is going to be a stupid comment but I didn't realize that was a book before it was a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, there aren't many books that I find entirely shocking. Most of my friends didn't like the maggots/baby brain scene in The Wasp Factory, but I love that book, and I didn't think it was bad. I would advise against reading The Story of the Eye. Just so, so wrong. I'm not even sure that I can outline the main shock within the constraints of the obscenity rules on this site. Google at your own peril.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thirteen Reasons Why

Really disturbing how a girl could kill herself to make a point. Very interesting. I couldn't put it down for hours.

Christine. Its disturbing to know how such a simple friendly relationship and the purchase of a car, could turn things upside down and become gruesome, and horrific. Pretty strange read. That's why I like Stephen King. Still reading IT.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...