xbla purchase for a friend?? help pls..

adbailey18

they could possibly ban you if they found out.

also i dont think its really lame on microsofts part, they sell the game to a profile for that individual, if they intended for people to share games they bought they would have surely added a sharing system.

also, instead of you buying the games, why not just buy him a 1200 point card and give it to him

If you download your profile to his console and purchase the games, he will have full access to them. Additionally, if you go home and then download them again to your console, you'll have access as long as you are connected to LIVE. However, everybody else on your console will not (occasionally, you can work around this by signing out during the game and signing in with another profile).

This is NOT a violation of the TOU. When a game is purchased from the marketplace, you acquire 2 licences; one for the console the content was originally downloaded on, and one for the Gamertag the content was bought with.

Have a look in the purchase details when you buy them, it even states as such and should tell you that anyone who uses the original console will have access to the content.

People like to quote the TOU without actually paying attention to it.

Edited by Crimson Ridley

If you download your profile to his console and purchase the games, he will have full access to them. Additionally, if you go home and then download them again to your console, you'll have access as long as you are connected to LIVE. However, everybody else on your console will not (occasionally, you can work around this by signing out during the game and signing in with another profile).

This is NOT a violation of the TOU. When a game is purchased from the marketplace, you acquire 2 licences; one for the console the content was originally downloaded on, and one for the Gamertag the content was bought with.

Have a look in the purchase details when you buy them, it even states as such and should tell you that anyone who uses the original console will have access to the content.

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated!

And the reason i dont buy him a card is because they are points i got with my secondary profile!!

You can....but Microsoft considers that a violation of the terms of use so be careful if you do it.

Really?? Seems a little lame on microsofts part!! What should it matter they are still gettin sales! What could be the worst they would do?ban?

they could possibly ban you if they found out.

also i dont think its really lame on microsofts part, they sell the game to a profile for that individual, if they intended for people to share games they bought they would have surely added a sharing system.

also, instead of you buying the games, why not just buy him a 1200 point card and give it to him

Callum is correct, those others are wrong. Just wanted to confirm that, it's 100% ok to do it.

Callum is correct, those others are wrong. Just wanted to confirm that, it's 100% ok to do it.

Isn't it Marketplace Theft? You recover your account on a console it's probably rarely been used on, download items, and then recover your profile back to your console and download them again. Especially if the console has a Gamertag that's been on it for however long. If spotted, it's almost certainly gonna be inspected further.

Wasn't that how all those people a year or so back all got banned for Marketplace Theft?

YOU ARE WRONG. :p

Isn't it Marketplace Theft? You recover your account on a console it's probably rarely been used on, download items, and then recover your profile back to your console and download them again. Especially if the console has a Gamertag that's been on it for however long. If spotted, it's almost certainly gonna be inspected further.

Wasn't that how all those people a year or so back all got banned for Marketplace Theft?

Yes, you are correct:

During the course of a recent investigation, we have discovered users who illegitimately accessed Xbox LIVE Marketplace downloadable content. Our investigation reveals that this access was intentional and not accidental, constituting a blatant violation of the Terms of Use for the service. We will not divulge additional information regarding individual suspensions for these offenses.

Please know that we are being very careful regarding these suspensions, and have clear evidence regarding each account issued a permanent suspension from the service. We apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from our inability to share individual details, and thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.

Cheers!

Source

I asked M$ and got 2 different answers.....if you purposely do it to avoid having your friend pay for it then it is considered market place theft, on that note I think it's tough to prove. A good example would be a kid with two homes. He buys it at Mom's house and then DL it when he goes to dad's for the weekend. M$ said that was an ok situation, they have banned people in the past for blatantly doing it over several consoles.

So....when do I get my apology from you nay-sayers?

You won't. Instead, you will get a link or a quote contradicting what you just said. Don't you know how forums work? :p

Marketplace Theft. Can you risk it? You can, but getting caught will suck.

LOL....true.

I just don't think its worth it. You can't get a straight answer about this. I rather not chance it....or tell someone its ok, when there could be a chance that its not.