Opinions of the game

katesith

I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of this game. I personally think it is absolutely phenomenal! Found it to be very addicting and fun!

This is the game I've been waiting for since 2003

I've been a huge Frequency/Amplitude fan forever... so glad they finally gave Amplitude a spiritual sequel! Those on the fence, try the trial version first.

Requiring online is a pain, but my only complaint.

My internet connection is unreliable and wonky, and due to that sometimes I'll finish a song, still be on LIVE, but the game will go "ehh... we're not connected to the rock central server. NO CREDIT FOR YOU."

No local save or leaderboard, either. Just checked. Finish a song, get stars on it, get out, go back in, nothing. You HAVE to be online all the time for it or it's not worth it.

I'm really enjoying it. I dig that there is actually a strategy to playing the game, but you don't need to be amazing to do well. The powerups are unique and entertaining. I'm shooting to at least 440/500 this. I'm not sure I'll be able to get five stars/gold stars on the 25 Blitz songs. But everything else will be mine.

Not really loving it. I mean it's all right, aside from the fact that switching tracks takes a little too long, but I was hoping it'd play much more like Amplitude. Specfically, I always loved how you could basically create your own remixes of songs, while still getting decent scores, in Amplitude. Don't play the drum track if you think that part of the song sounds better without drums, etc. This feels much more shallow in comparison to all the stuff you could do in Amplitude.

Also, the nickle-and-diming really brings this game down... Required like $200 DLC to complete the game? Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

Im hardly blown away by it so far. I only bought it so I could play the songs on RB3 to be honest. Although I dont know how to export them, as they havent shown up on my RB3 song list. Anyone know how to export them?
I'm not a big RB guy so maybe I'm wrong, but I think I've been hearing that you can't export RB3 songs.

I'm not a big RB guy so maybe I'm wrong, but I think I've been hearing that you can't export RB3 songs.

No, it's the other way around. You can't play the RB3 songs in this game. You should get a prompt to download the soundtrack to start up the game, so if you haven't gotten that something's wrong. If you don't download the soundtrack, you also can't play most of the Blitz songs.

Some of us have been collecting DLC for the past five years. Averaged out of your estimate of $200 for the total, since the launch of RB in 2007, that's 3.33 a month. Around two tracks a month, if that's what the average person's been buying. Less, counting expansions (RB1 export, RB2 export, Lego RB export, Country TP 1 & 2, RBTP2, RB Metal Track Pack, RB Classic Rock TP, Green Day RB, etc.).

It's not exactly unreasonable if they're wanting to acknowledge those that have been investing for a long time.

Have only played the trial so far but thoroughly enjoyed it. Love all the new arcade-y aspects they've thrown in.

Unfortunately I only have 1200 ms points in my wallet at the moment and they are going on "Mark of the Ninja" next week.

Given it only comes with 25 songs (I dont own any of the other RB games) I will probably wait until it hits the 600-800ms price point.

I love everything, except TWO of the following things:

1) Coins. Why should I need to pay to equip powerups? I mean, the entire basis of the game is to get the highest score and most stars you can, so therefore, I shouldn't ever be without the powerups that are mandatory for evening getting close to 5 stars...

2) Note Powerups. There is only one useful note powerup and that is the bomb blast, the other 3 require too much attention to their own detail, and not to actually just playing the song.

Other than that, the game is great, and I'm very addicted to it.

First time I bought it, I played for 5 hours and messed up my wrists from having them wrapped around the controller for too long. (I play with the trigger setup).

I'm quickly running out of coins and not a big fan of that system either. I don't love having to go to FB to sign up, but it's not a huge hassle either, but the problem is that they're too slow in putting up new ones! 400 coins for one of the smaller challenges is just too little, you blow that on one gold star attempt...

Paying for power ups with coins is indeed annoying. Now I find myself joining random goals on Rock Band World (thus making me use Facebook, ew) as I don't want to run out of coins.

But I'm loving the game so far! Not sure whether I would have enjoyed it as much if I weren't a Rock Band player and had some DLC, but it's indeed very addicting. It has that "OKAY, I SWEAR THIS WILL REALLY BE THE LAST SONG I'LL PLAY NOW" factor.

1. Buildup 10,000 coins.

2. Use appropriate power ups.

3. Murder song on leader boards.

4. Don't replay songs yet until you do them in a score war or challenge.

5. ??????

6. Profit!

Seriously, after grinding away without power ups for awhile, I have no problems now. I think they're really just trying to reinforce the mechanics of the game.

I told myself I wasn't going to drop $15 on this but I caved when I convinced myself it was worth supporting Harmonix and keeping the music gaming genre alive.

Now, I've only played this for a half an hour so far, but so far I'm not impressed. I have to agree to complaining about the coin system. Power-ups being one-time use and having to repurchase them each time I want to use them? That's utter crap. Especially since those power-ups are required in order to score well. Without power-ups, even doing well, you'll only 4-star the song. You generally can't score enough for a 5-star without them. So if your song library is pretty small (especially if you only have the 25 songs that came with RB: Blitz), then ouch, you're going to be replaying songs frequently just to hoard enough coins to afford multiple power ups when you go to attempt your gold star achievements. And having to connect to Facebook is also crap.

And I appreciate the extra 100 gamerscore tagged on as an incentive for those who have been collecting DLC over the past several years (and bringing this game up to a total value of 500 gamerscore, half the score of a typical retail game that ships for $60), but I can't say I have 10 songs by the same artist or a song from every decade from the 50's on. I'm still going to be stuck buying a few more songs to satisfy those conditions if I want those achievements bad enough.

So yeah... I'm not in love with this.

Edited by Samurai Kadaj

Seriously, after grinding away without power ups for awhile, I have no problems now. I think they're really just trying to reinforce the mechanics of the game.
No, they didn't really have a thought-out idea behind it at all. Here's their official response:

Coins (as with most any in game economies) are used to power unlocks or upgrades. You don't start Zelda with a full load out of weapons and when you run out of arrows you may need to buy more. In Blitz, coins will help fuel your power ups and the more coins you have the better your power up load out. If you do well, you should be able to recoup most of those coins, prevented you from having to "camp" or grind songs.

Additionally, rewarding extra coins for playing new songs actively discourages grinding, as you'll get more coins for playing new songs than you will for replaying the same songs over and over again. On top of that, it encourages users to try Score Wars and RB World Goals, where you should have no shortage of coins to fuel your power ups.

So, basically, their entire idea behind the coin system was "let's get people to buy more stuff!"

No, they didn't really have a thought-out idea behind it at all. Here's their official response:

So, basically, their entire idea behind the coin system was "let's get people to buy more stuff!"

That's how you can tell Harmonix is full of morons, when they're comparing an action-adventure game (Zelda) to a music game (Rock Band Blitz)....Good going there kids!

Edited by Judivarious

I'm currently doing all the DLC achievements without power-ups so that I'll have an excess of coins when it comes down to gold-starring the main setlist, but I've yet to five-star a song without the help of power-ups (hopefully this is just me not understanding the optimal way to play for score yet, though). I'm enjoying the game but I do dislike this coin system, I don't understand why I'll have to play some runs knowing in advance that I can't beat my previous scores. It's not like it'd be unfair to the leaderboards if everyone had access to all the combinations of power-ups for free, I think I'll only be playing this casually and not for score after getting the achievements.

Edit: Got a five-star run on Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs without power-ups, but it was from the last sustain note of the song...had 100% on guitar and vocals/99% drums and bass, extremely tight cutoff points without assistance. I did miss at least one increase in the level caps though, the moment you stop using bandmate you notice how damn useful it is for maxing the multipliers, some of these checkpoints are super short.

Edited by Didi Mau

I'm currently doing all the DLC achievements without power-ups so that I'll have an excess of coins when it comes down to gold-starring the main setlist, but I've yet to five-star a song without the help of power-ups (hopefully this is just me not understanding the optimal way to play for score yet, though).

I really don't think it's you not understanding the optimal way to play. I think it's damn near impossible to five star a song without powerups. Ending a song with 95% accuracy on all the tracks, and increasing laps by 3 every time and I end with about 4.75 stars. I suppose it might be possible to hit the five but I think you'd have to be flawless and know the songs better than the actual musicians that play them.

I'm torn on the whole coin system. On one hand I like the fact that when I am using my coins to try and get a high score it actually feels like there is something on the line. But on the other hand it's caused me to make the decision not to worry about my scores for a while so I can farm a ton of coins so I can hopefully get the gold star achievement (not counting on it). That's kind of messed up.

I've honestly come to the conclusion that this game is all luck based.

I've been trying to 5 gold star "Waking the Demon by Bullet For my Valentine" I don't know how many times now, but here's the funny thing.

At the one time I didn't really try (as someone was talking to me and I was missing notes like crazy), I only used Shockwave once, I got about 73% on the solo, and my final score ended up being my current high score, which is 279,653.

Every other time I have tried, I somehow ended up with a lower score, even though I'm putting in more use of my power-ups and being as accurate as possible. I've mastered the solo to where I get 100% every time, I know two different places in the song I can use shockwave and get 15,000+ points, and I'm always aiming to keep my lanes at max multiplier, but still, I can't beat my high score, and I CAN'T get 5 gold stars...