The ending[major spoilers]

Ok so i just beat this game and would like to know what the fuck happened after the credits rolled.

From what i gathered, belmont turns into dracula and zobek didnt die and is still Death. an interesting ending that actually had something to do with castelvania unlike the rest of the game. But wtf was with the modern day setting? Is this game even considered cannon? Not that the castelvania universe has an amazing history/story, but I am a fan of it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i just beat this game and would like to know what the fuck happened after the credits rolled.

From what i gathered, belmont turns into dracula and zobek didnt die and is still Death. an interesting ending that actually had something to do with castelvania unlike the rest of the game. But wtf was with the modern day setting? Is this game even considered cannon? Not that the castelvania universe has an amazing history/story, but I am a fan of it.

Konami stated months ago that this game is NOT canon. Lords of Shadow takes place in an entirely different universe than other CastleVania games. If they make a sequel, Lords of Shadow is the first game in a new series. If not, its a standalone title.

Anyway, I for one HATE the ending of this game. It makes me feel like I wasted my time playing it. Why did Gabriel go through all that crap only to become the very thing he fought all this time? WTF?

Ok im glad its not cannon, i was going through the game hoping that somehow dracula would make an appearance or be the last boss for no reason.

After all the cliched non sense that already had happened up to this point i dont really mind the ending except for the modern day thing, i dont understand that at all.

I thought the ending was way too over the top, and was solved with lame deux ex machina.

Zobek turning evil was predictable amd lame, then even lamer is that Satan pops out of literally no where and kills him even though there is absolutely no indication of his involvement. Then you use some magical power to become all mighty and beat up SATAN of all things Dragon Ball Z style to save the world...

Then you turn into Dracula, Zobek isn't dead and we're in modern times?

All I can say is that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is deffinitely not story driven. You can barely take the story seriously.

I thought the story was amazing for the first two Lords. Then the entire third act of the game is one giant WTF moment after another. I saw Zobek's betrayal coming from a mile away, not only from the not-so-subtle hints he drops but from his name, which I took as a variation of Sobek, another name for Famine, the Horseman of the Apocalypse. Then Satan shows up for no apparent reason and kills Zobek, then it turns into a giant Dragon Ball Z fight, as was mentioned above.

I don't have a problem with the modern day aspect of the epilogue, as two immortals would have no problem surviving to the modern day (and its always possible that the "Zobek" killed by Satan was a decoy of some type), my problem is Gabriel becoming Dracula. It just makes NO SENSE at all. He went through all that crap to get redemption, and then turns evil and declares himself the Prince of Darkness? That is just the lamest plot twist I've ever heard of.

Gabriel looks like the most crap Dracula, I mean look at him!

He is so incredibly emaciated that he looks like the starving people in Africa.

His hair is not the luxurious wavy hair of the old Dracula but instead long straight Sephiroth's hair.

His skin is so ancient and wrinkly looking, Dracula is supposed to be handsome and manly looking.

He has no facial hair, Dracula looked regal and aristocratic, dressed in the finest of clothes sporting a well trimmed mustache and goatee.

He doesn't even sound like he should be Dracula. Dracule spoke like the high borne, well educated and refined.

You don't even need to be a Castlevania purist, you just have to want a Dracula that doesn't look like total crap. I mean here's the Dracula people want to see.

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/feature-articles/top-10s/classic-villains/castlevania-dracula.jpg

Maybe Gabriel will actually go out an east something and get some meat on his bones, buy some clothes that don't look like crap, go to a hair dresser and get his hair styled properly and stop being an emo piece of crap.

i think the modern times thing was just to show how much time had passed

and the dlc is supposed to continue from where it ended, probably showing how he becomes dracula. dlc that should of just been in the game....like majority of dlc

but maybe that is gabriel's dark side that he left behind? i dunno

Edited by Echilion

The modern day setting is to show how much time has gone by since he banished Satan. It makes sense that he would become immortal though. He absorbed the powers of all 3 Lords of Shadow who were immortal, and by doing so cursed himself with it as well. Zobek isn't death either, he's just a Necromancer with lots of power. I also thought the look they gave Dracula makes sense, how can he be some stunning vampire with good looks when he has been hiding in a self-made tomb for like 500 years? The game was good and hopefully the start of another Castlevania series.

It seems like more than just showing how much time has passed. Zobek clearly said that the acolytes of Satan are preparing for his imminent revival, and that he wants Gabriel/Dracula to help him. I don't know how you want to cut that cake, but it seems like he's suggesting that we're gonna be playing as Dracula in modern times blasting people away with machine guns.

And if we're not, why the hell would they even show modern Dracula and tell him about a quest that he apparently needs to do in modern times? It can't be just to illustrate that he is immortal, they could have done that in many other less crazy ways.

Gabriel looks like the most crap Dracula, I mean look at him!

He is so incredibly emaciated that he looks like the starving people in Africa.

His hair is not the luxurious wavy hair of the old Dracula but instead long straight Sephiroth's hair.

His skin is so ancient and wrinkly looking, Dracula is supposed to be handsome and manly looking.

He has no facial hair, Dracula looked regal and aristocratic, dressed in the finest of clothes sporting a well trimmed mustache and goatee.

He doesn't even sound like he should be Dracula. Dracule spoke like the high borne, well educated and refined.

You don't even need to be a Castlevania purist, you just have to want a Dracula that doesn't look like total crap. I mean here's the Dracula people want to see.

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/feature-articles/top-10s/classic-villains/castlevania-dracula.jpg

Maybe Gabriel will actually go out an east something and get some meat on his bones, buy some clothes that don't look like crap, go to a hair dresser and get his hair styled properly and stop being an emo piece of crap.

He probably does't drink human blood being the soul that he is, even if he is damned. That the secret to a vampires' eternal youth, the way I see it is there always has to be a Drac and by Gab offering up his soul for it he is doing mankind a service.

It seems like more than just showing how much time has passed. Zobek clearly said that the acolytes of Satan are preparing for his imminent revival, and that he wants Gabriel/Dracula to help him. I don't know how you want to cut that cake, but it seems like he's suggesting that we're gonna be playing as Dracula in modern times blasting people away with machine guns.

And if we're not, why the hell would they even show modern Dracula and tell him about a quest that he apparently needs to do in modern times? It can't be just to illustrate that he is immortal, they could have done that in many other less crazy ways.

If I remember right, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow with Soma took place during modern times (not 2010, but modern enough) and he didn't run around with guns. So I think guns are out of the question.

Either way, I loved the story. Yeah, I saw Zobek betraying you as soon as you met him. It was pretty obvious. But still. I loved the story. I stopped doing trials/collectibles so I could see the ending.

Yea the problem with the modern day that i had is that the next game could be some complete garbage if they try to do what you guys said with shooting people up all over the place and going even farther away from castelvania. They dont need to make it modern day to tell us they are immortal, they can just come out and straight say it, that would be fine for me. Then there could be another game set in the past(which is what i was hoping for).

Also the idea that this new dracula/gabriel is his dark side that he left behind like the lords of shadow seems like a good explanation.

The modern setting killed the ending for me, unless they go the aria of sorrow way in the next game ( if there will be on that is ), What defines Castlevania is Dracula and the gothic castle, that is what i want from my Castlevania games, But i'm afraid that they are turning it into a more "Devil May Cry" the reboot of it that is.

But a lot of things didn't make sense, who did Gabriel become a vampire? how the hell is Sobek alive? Seems like Mercurysteam ( or Hideo Kojima ) got sidetracked in the end of the game.

The ending of the game makes sense if you take it in context with the rest of the game's characters (the Dark Lords). He has the mask, the greatest power next to God. Maria had him put it on, so he know's it's power. The mask could also be some sort of temptation in which causes him to do the same thing as the other Brotherhood founders did. His pure heart and soul entered heaven, but his darkness remained. All throughout the game the narration refers to his dark side, how angry he is, how he wants nothing but revenge...this is the side we see in Dracula.

Actually I agree withEchilion in that's Gabriels dark side leaked out when he became a divine being for a momentary time, or thats what I'll settle with. Is there dlc? otherwise I'll just consider this an open ending.

Oh yeah, when Zobek shed his robe and showed his suit - bigger moment than actually seeing the city.

Edited by LK Tien

The ending just doesn't make sense to me. Gabriel KNOWS from fighting the Lords of Shadow, that ascending to Heaven would leave his dark side on Earth. Why the hell would he do that, knowing what would happen? Thats the part of it that bothers me. If he ascended knowing his dark side would remain behind to terrorize the world, that makes Gabriel legitimately EVIL. Thats why I hate this ending, the hero we just played an entire game as turns into a bona fide villain.

I thought the game itself was an awesome game and the story was pretty good. The epilogue was a little interesting I'm not sure what to think. It took me by surprise when Zobek knocked Gabriel/Dracula out the window and you see the modern day world. I think it would be interesting to play as Dracula and not a Belmont. Although I thought the point of most Castlevania games was to kill Dracula and yet he isn't in the game at all until the end when you end up turning into him. On a side note I could have sworn I read somewhere a few months ago that Alucard was going to make a debut in this game but I guess I read wrong :(

Loved it. At first I was thrown off, but then it started to make sense. It would also make sense as to why the Belmont clan always felt it was their responsibility to banish Dracula every 100 years. Who's to say that Simon hadn't come 900 years before the epilogue? Never know, but I hope they make a sequel. Loved the game.

I noticed alot of people saying how does Gabriel turn into dracula / become evil , if you actaully read all the narators story at the beginning of each mission , it basically says how gabriel is slowly losing his mind , and in the end everything that he had fought for was pretty much useless (the mask scene at the end) from the storyline he was losing it and becoming "dark" throughout the game , he even says "he's done questionable things" , and at the end finding out that what he went through the whole time was a false hope would have simply broke his mind ,

guess that explains how he would become "evil" , dunno about the dracula thing tho , maybe go back and see if he was bittin in one of the cinimatics , dont remember atm , but either way i think it was a good ended opening up for a new series , and also for those who said its just another devil may cry reboot , ya its alot like devil may cry , but dont know how exactly you would make a castlevania games now adays like the old , i thought it was a pretty good concept there , just ask yourself how you would make a castlevania game today :o

It's been stated by David Cox that the DLC will pick up right where the game ended, does this mean after Gabriel beat down Satan or after he pulled his "vanish stunt" in present day like we see after credits.

If it does take place right after Satan got fucked tons of cool shit could happen, but if it takes place in the present day it could turn....odd :S

I think Satan revealing he was the mastermind behind everything was the most random and "out of left field" plot twist I've ever seen. I think the DLC should continue that:

After Gabriel defeats and banishes Satan, it could be revealed that Satan was, in fact, working for General Zod the whole time. After refusing to kneel before Zod and defeating him in a massive battle, Gabriel is then blindsided by Brainiac, who reveals that Zod was working for him all along. After entering the computer world and deleting Brainiac, Gabriel is attacked by Godzilla. Gabriel climbs into Godzilla's ear and into his brain, where he discovers Luthorcorp microchips controlling Godzilla. Gabriel is then ambushed by Lex Luthor in his powersuit, while still inside Godzilla's brain. After defeating Luthor and getting out of Godzilla's head, Gabriel is attacked by a T-1000, sent by Skynet to ensure that the master plan all goes swimmingly. Gabriel melts the T-1000 with his flaming shadow magic whip of doom, but is attacked by Mysterio, who reveals that all the events of the past several months were an illusion created by him, to drive Gabriel insane.

Then its revealed that the entire game was a computer simulation created by Batman, who wanted a strategy in place in case Satan, Lex Luthor, General Zod, Brainiac, Mysterio and Skynet all decided to work together.

Yup, thats how random and pointless I feel Satan's inclusion in the game was.

Castlevania is a series that I have a lot of fond memories of and to see a Belmont become Dracula just has me completely dumbfounded. I was really hoping for Zobek to become Dracula.

I hope they ditch the modern setting for the sequel and stick to the Dark Ages. Maybe even bring back Simon Belmont.

A bit off topic, but did anyone else notice the Slorga cameo?

I think the epilogue ending makes complete sense if you pay attention to the events after Gabriel defeats Satan. First off Death is Death so how can Death die? He can't hints why Zobek is still around and Satan did not kill him. Secondly Gabriel is more of a tragic hero in this tail. Everyone seeks redemption as Gabriel did yet to receive forgiveness you must learn from your mistakes and this is what Gabriel failed to do. If you notice after the trapped souls grant Gabriel a second chance and he finishes Satan off he is left to live on Earth as a sort of thank you for saving the world. Gabriel does not appreciate this gift from god and thus he gave a false redemption in that what really drove Gabriel was his willingness to do anything to be with Marie again. I will be willing to bet that the dlc will outline this well with his tragic downfall from savior of the world to what we see as the mighty Dracula. Back to why I loved the ending though. I was not surprised by Zobek's betrayal, yet was surprised by him being the final Lord of Shadow. I loved the final fight with Satan(even though completely random) I felt it really put the magic system to good use. I always felt throughout the game that the magic need more depth than just light heals, shadow does more damage and the final fight was super fun with infinite magic. One of my favorite videogame endings hands down. Granted this was my first Castlevania game so I believe I am unbiased in that respect.