• Scary!
    • Mildly Scary.
    • It Was Scary At Times..
    • Gah! Scary!?! Not Scary At All...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game gives me the same knot in my stomach that Dead Space does. I am constantly tense. I love to be scared and own a ton of horror films but with this or Dead Space its just neverending, you never feel safe. The atmosphere in both games really adds to it. I have had the game a week and am only towards the end of episode 3 as I never play for more than an hour or so. Great game though. As mentioned above, night time, lights off, sound up, especially on a headset really amplifies the experience.

Okay, I always wanted to get this since the trailers from several years ago I think. I got it early July and played a little bit of episode 01 and then never again until a couple of days ago when I cousin wanted to try playing the game. So, I restarted my game and let him play to the point I played up to in episode 01 whilst collecting the many collectibles using this guide (http://swearingatvideogames.com/2010/05/08/alan-wake-collectibles-episode-4/). I didn't let him play after that as he kept moaning about me doing all the collecting and stuff, so we played other games until he left and then I went back to Alan Wake.

I've currently gotten up to over the half-way line in episode 04. I had recently finished BioShock, a game which can give you a tense and scary atmosphere, the same is replicated in Alan Wake. However, the difference is with all the plasmids, tonics and weapons at your disposal in BioShock, gives you a certain feeling of "I can tackle this Big Daddy any day of the week" but in Alan Wake, your a normal guy with no such technology at your fingertips, instead, you gradually feel helpless, there was this Taken and I didn't know where to go but the damn thing kept following me, all I had was my torch and no ammo......I was begging it to leave me alone as I ran....slowed down...ran....slowed down....ran before I realised I had to restart my checkpoint and conserve my ammo.

The plot of Alan Wake, is a mindf*ck because its hard to connect the dots in the early parts of the game and when things get revealed, it only gets more complicated. I like it do far and I was lucky to have a card that offered me a code to get the first dlc for free when I bought this game, so late after its release.:woop:

I'm hoping to finish this by Tuesday and then to get as many achievements as I can from Modern Warfare 1 & 2 as well as Bayonetta before Halo: REACH comes out.:uzi:

It's pretty scary in a good way. The atmosphere is quite immersive, so if you really let yourself get into it (and you should) you're in for some good scares. Not like the "oh shi- where the hell did that come from" kind of thing, but it really does a great job of keeping you uneasy as you go along.