Free Xbox One and Games Giveaway Frequently Asked Questions - IT IS LEGIT

lifeexpectancy

So you got an email from Microsoft that you're getting Killer Instinct for free, or better yet, an Xbox One for free!

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

FAQ:

1. How do I know if I won? Answer: Check the email associated with your gamertag. Check your spam folder. Do not delete/empty your spam or trash folders until you are 100% confident you did NOT get an email.

2. Do I need to subscribe to MS marketing emails? Answer: No.

3. Is this legit? Answer: Yes

4. How do I get it? Answer: If you won a free console, call Microsoft Store and hit the option for making a purchase. When you get a rep on the phone, tell them you won a free console. They will ask for your name, gamertag, email associated with gamertag, and possibly the code you got in the email (my rep didn't need this as my name/address/gamertag/email was sufficient).

They will ask for credit card info too. This is FINE. They don't charge anything. If you're under 18 talk with your parents first and have them call MS Store for this unless you have a credit card. An order for $499.99 with a $499.99 discount will be created, and you will have an invoice showing purchase price of $0.00, showing your billing and shipping address.

5. How do I get the game? Answer: Killer Instinct prizes will be download codes emailed to you on or about the 22nd of Nov. Do not empty your spam folder before looking for them!

6. How/why do people win? Answer: There is no one simple answer. It is a combination of things (tenure, gamerscore, etc), plus possibly (probably) a little luck.

7. Is it a day 1 console being given? Answer: No, recipients will receive the STANDARD edition console sometime between Nov 22nd and Dec 31st. So if the Day 1 Edition matters to you, don't cancel your preorder. It's up to you what you do with your extra "free" standard edition console (sell it, give it away, whatever).

If you didn't win anything please don't be angry at others or salty at MS. Giving away free shit is giving away free shit. If they gave it away to every single person on Xbox Live, nobody would be left to buy an Xbox One. This is marketing, but at least it's positive marketing for a change. Thus far I think the scenario is this:

I seriously think it's a combination of tenure + gamerscore, and if you meet the threshold/cutoff your name went into a giant virtual hat with everyone else. Names were drawn.

What MS told joystiq:

In a statement to Joystiq, the Microsoft representative said the company "considered a variety of things including Gamerscore and Xbox Live tenure, as well as other factors in markets where Xbox One is available." Some Microsoft MVPs, non-employed evangelists of the Microsoft brand, have been selected, but it would appear even regular schmoes are also eligible too. "Through this program, we're rewarding some of our biggest fans around the world," the statement added.

This doesn't tell us anything concrete other than gs and tenure matter, as well as "other factors" (random drawing?, money spent on XBL?, being a high-profile member on a popular xbox 360 site?, who knows, it's anyone's guess)

Grand prize (a few given) was: Console and 7 games, and 1yr XBL gold

Second prize http://tinyurl.com/Xb14games (some given) was: Console, 4 games, 1 year of gold, 1 year off XBL music

Third prize http://tinyurl.com/XB1Forza (many given) was: Console and Forza 5

Fourth prize (shit tons given) was: Killer Instinct full game (all characters) redeemable code. The game is free to play, but you only get one character with the "free" version. Getting all the characters is somewhere between $20 and $40 value (the 'all characters' pass is $40 according to xhunterrr)

Supposedly XBL money was given away too, haven't heard of anyone getting that (unless 1 year XBL gold is being considered as XBL money since it's $60 value).

Edited by lifeexpectancy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been tons of people reporting all over (Neogaf, Reddit, IGN, etc) forums, blogs, message boards that they got free consoles. My friend feed on TA is inundated with people that got free consoles (lotsa long tenure huge gamerscore guys there). I saw three people on TA say they got the grand prize, and several others mentioned by them. I'm betting they probably gave away at least 5,000 if not 10,000 or more consoles between the top three prizes combined. Even Europeans are getting some free consoles, and this kinda stuff is usually only valid for Americans.

I don't have any concrete numbers yet, and probably never will, so I just put "many given" as a placeholder lol.

At any rate I'm up 3.5 hours past my bedtime. I'll update the OP with any new/relevant info tonight.

Edit: Ok ya buggers I edited the OP so that they have increasing words for the numbers given until I get more info.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

Yeah probably minimum tenure of 4 years (I've heard of at least one 4-year tenure winner of the console). Then maybe they divide gamerscore by tenure and if your gamerscore-to-tenure ratio is high enough then you get put into the "eligible" lot. From there they consider the "other factors".

I've heard of one person with a 4 year tenure as well as one person with less than 250,000 gamerscore that won, but I also know a guy with over 400,000 gamerscore and a tenure of at least 6 years who did not win. So luck has to factor in somewhere.

We have three open threads going about this now. Converge?

Yeah I only made this thread so that the title would be bold and apparent to HOPEFULLY stop more new thread creations from people asking if it's legit as soon as they get the email, before they bother to look at the other threads.....

Then again reading what I just wrote, they probably won't look at this one either. But I tried to put big bold IT IS LEGIT in the thread title lol.

This freaking amazing. To bad I deleted my Spam folder contents (Had about 10 messages I think) at 7:30am before coming here. I might have had something and screwed the pooch big time. But still this is freaking AMAZING!

Everyone that gets a console is hopefully very happy and doing backflips.

This freaking amazing. To bad I deleted my Spam folder contents (Had about 10 messages I think) at 7:30am before coming here. I might have had something and screwed the pooch big time. But still this is freaking AMAZING!

Everyone that gets a console is hopefully very happy and doing backflips.

At worst you probably only missed out on the $20 Killer Instinct free characters (as the game itself is free anyway). So don't sweat deleting those emails too much mate.

I'm going to assume that all emails for this have been sent and we shouldn't expect another round of them being sent out whether it is tonight or tomorrow. Anyone confirm? Add to the FAQ?

Presumably it's just the one batch. But we have 2.5 weeks to launch so don't count anything out. If they get really good PR from this they might do another round. Watch your email and don't delete spam until you check it.

I was told about this by a friend and apparently I have won an XBOX One with Forza 5 Day One, it looks legit but who knows, Im going to call them tomorrow as its EET timezone and Im on GMT. Hope its legit.

Is the email from [email protected]? If so, it is legit.

That is the easiest and quickest way to tell.

Is the email from [email protected]? If so, it is legit.

That is the easiest and quickest way to tell.

Things like this are why my email address for my gamertag is ONLY used for my gamertag and xbox live related stuff. I get zero spam in that email. I was gettin in my car and driving down the road the second I wrote down the phone number and code from that damn email (no cell service at my house the past two weeks for some reason, fucking sprint).

Evo Kazz - it's legit man. Call them tomorrow.