for the love of GOD

Soldier9870

TMP, take your time on Game Types A-C there isn't a whole lot of rush. Just aim the reticule over the body, get a shot and make sure you don't miss for every 5 downed targets. This will force the Salazar target to show up. If you can get a streak going, you can shoot 5 targets...hit the Salazar target in on hit and keep the streak going with additional targets (thus forcing Salazar to show up again rather quickly).

Another thing that I did was try to get headshots with the TMP on the first 5 targets, guaranteeing 100 points per head (500 total) + 500 from salazar for an easy 1000 points.

It gets frustrating though, trust me...it was pissing me off to no end. Trial and error...it happens eventually.

TMP, take your time on Game Types A-C there isn't a whole lot of rush. Just aim the reticule over the body, get a shot and make sure you don't miss for every 5 downed targets. This will force the Salazar target to show up. If you can get a streak going, you can shoot 5 targets...hit the Salazar target in on hit and keep the streak going with additional targets (thus forcing Salazar to show up again rather quickly).

Another thing that I did was try to get headshots with the TMP on the first 5 targets, guaranteeing 100 points per head (500 total) + 500 from salazar for an easy 1000 points.

It gets frustrating though, trust me...it was pissing me off to no end. Trial and error...it happens eventually.

Mind if I add you on XBL?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It just takes practice

More TMP than practice, I'd say. :D Shouldn't take too long if you use the TMP, reloading when you're told to, and hitting them all (aim for the head if possible, but if you're running out of time, just hit them). And make sure you're changing between A, B, C and D whenever you complete a type! I got really frustrated six or seven years ago with the original game because I didn't get any bottlecaps, since I was playing over and over in A and it took me two or three days to notice... :D

• 2 weeks later...

if you use the TMP you have to go easy on the trigger. its really easy to fire too much and accidentally miss with 1 or 2 bullets, which screws up your 5 hit in a row bonus and thus getting the Salazar target. especially on the later D games you need to get 3 or 4 Salazars. when i beat the last D one i think i got like 4 Salazars which means 2000 points from that, then only needing at least 20 out of 25 normal targets minus any headshots. if there's a target too close behind an Ashley and you dont have a good angle, best idea is usually to not worry about it.

i finally managed to do all of them using the pistol though.

Edited by shinobigarth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was really struggling with game D when it came down to unlocking the final 2 bottle tops, and didn't seem to be improving at all, despite learning the target's locations. But I did it just now! Some tips that helped me;

- Never stand directly in front of the bell. For the first half of D I tended to stand to the left, and then to the right - towards the end of the round, female targets spawn on the right side. They're worth a lot more than males if you can get a headshot on them, so prioritize them.

- It's more important to get a 50 point body shot than risk a 100 point headshot and screw up your 5-streak to make a Salazar head appear.

And most importantly of all for me - use the d-pad once you have lined up the TMP, and only press left or right. That stops him from wobbling all over the place and means you don't have to waste time re-lining up the shot. Not sure how well it would work with the pistol, as equipping that seems to bring on symptoms of Parkinson's.

After I realised I could just use the left and right d-pad buttons to pop the targets, it only took 3 tries for me to get this. Hopefully it'll be useful to some other folks too.

• 2 months later...

My tips are as follow:

1. Headshots only the front / medium row Ganados.

2. Body shots for moving Ganados.

3. Try headshots female Ganados as they yield 200 points instead of 100 points.

4. Try consecutive shots as many as possible, even if it means firing only body shots, as the Salazar target can compensate for the loss of headshot points.

5. If there is explosive-holding Ganado among others, try to shoot a few those around before firing at the explosive Ganado. The points obtained this way is higher than firing straight at the explosive Ganado as all other Ganados will go down without giving any point.

6. Practice. In my 1st playthrough I sometimes needed as many as 20 retries to memorize the patterns and where to stand.

I just bought the HD version but Ive beaten this game on gamecube professional about 20 times and 5 starred all mercenaries but the bottlecaps definitly suck IMO... it really pisses me off they gave the bottle caps an achvo but none for mercs mode, same thing with re5 :( thats my favorite mode

Edited by severed360

• 4 weeks later...

I kept pretty much the same strategy for all the shooting ranges. Don't obsess over headshots, the key is building 5-hit combos in order to make Salazar come out (500 point target!) as many times as possible (up to 4-5 times). I'll usually get maybe 3 or 4 headshots max, but mostly I just focus on body shots. The pistol was also my main weapon for pretty much all of them, because it's the most accurate (TMP is good too, but easy to accidentally overshoot or miss with, which breaks your combos).

Patience destroys the bottle cap achievement. When starting a new range I use the pistol to get my 25/25 with body shots. For the rest of the bottlecaps I used the sniper rifle just getting headshots, if the target is moving too fast just ignore it. I'd get around 3 Salazaar heads each time along with the 500 points for the 5 headshots I'd get to bring out the Salazaar which adds up to a nice 3000+ everytime!

• 2 months later...

Gee I didn't bother goin for a high score on this. Just simply pop each target and you'll get the bottlecaps.

All the game modes have a particular pattern, so if you're really struggling just memorize a couple time and you'll find yourself pickin up all the bottlecaps and achievement in no time

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys, I just managed to finish this one so I figured I'd write a guide for the hardest range, which is the last one. D2. I used the TMP because its somehow the most reliable weapon. If you follow this guide you should hopefully have the moves memorized within 10 attempts. Aim for center mass, as the gun jerks a bit when fired so the shot ends up being a bit wide if you aim for the head or shoulders. Try to hit the targets dead in the gut as often as possible. Also keep in mind, Salazar hits count for the Salazar counter. So if you hit a Salazar target, you'd only have to hit 4 more targets for another Salazar to appear. You'll need 4 Salazars to get 3K on this mission. If you miss a Salazar or two targets, just restart the range. Here we go.

Ring the bell and stand directly in front of it. Shoot the Ganado in the middle right first, then run to the far end of the middle right corner. Take out the left middle and two center Ganados. Take out the 3 center Ganados, and the Salazar should be mid-screen by now. Take that target out. Two more Ganados will appear in the center, take them out. If you have a continuous kill combo at this point with no misses (Salazar included) another Salazar will appear. Destroy it. Two fast moving Ganados will appear now, take out the one approaching you first. If you took a few shots to destroy the first Salazar, another will appear now. Take that out, and by the time you do so the second Ganado target will be directly in front of you for easy pickings. Reload, cause now comes the tricky part.

Two very fast moving Ganado targets will be right next to Ashley at the very back of the screen, and if you don't nail these two while they're moving you lose the chance. Place your bead in their path, and fire a split second before they cross into it. It takes timing and practice, but you should be able to take them both out without having to adjust your aim. An Ashley target will now appear with a Ganado behind it. Draw a bead on Ashley, and as soon as she pops down, shoot the Ganado. His target will stay up a short time longer than Ashleys. Quickly adjust your aim far left for an easy female Ganado target. Pick off the 4 Ganado targets as fast as you can, because a Salazar will certainly be moving across the screen. You'll have a good vantage point for all 4 and Salazar. AT this point, 2 Ganados will pop up dead center, surrounded by Ashley targets. You'll be in a good position to eliminate them both. If you're a crack shot, this will net you another Salazar. Almost done! Take out the female Ganado directly in front of you, then immediately run all the way left for the male Ganado target in the back. If you didn't have a Salazar before, you should have one by now. Now from your mid-left vantage point, you should be able to clearly take out the male and female targets on the left and right. If you STILL didn't get a Salazar, you'll have one now.

That's it. It's incredibly frustrating, but it honestly does just take practice and timing. Hope this guide helps someone!

• 10 months later...