IGN Borderlands Review

MADasaHatter

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1035922p1.html

I'll post some quotes from the review that i find interesting, starting with

That's not to say you'll hate the game, but a frenzied, drooling desire to kill, upgrade, kill and repeat is required to really get the most out of this experience. Were this a typical action-RPG loot-driven kill-fest, such a warning wouldn't be necessary, but considering this game is actually a first-person shooter, perhaps not all prospective buyers might be familiar with how it works.

sounds good to me lol

Occasionally you'll wind up in absurd situations where you're unloading a string of headshots while standing toe-to-toe with foes and still not bringing them down, but such is the nature of games that favor health bars over realism.

wasn't this what the crying poster was blabbing about (forgot his name). By RPG standards, there is no way to make it a one shot kill. Turning up the crits- sure. But it's not halo or COD

game. Assuming you and those you're playing with are at the same point in the main story it's possible to quest together, and then when you decide to play again on your own, you can continue on without missing a beat.

That's great actually. Sacred 2 had this freakin problem:confused:

Here the user interface saves the day. When you look at an item sitting on the ground within a certain proximity, a giant item statistic readout pane pops up onscreen that displays all the stats and special effects and how they compare to what you're holding. Switch weapons and its comparison arrows indicating better or worse quality will adjust accordingly. After everyone takes a look and someone decides to pick it up, you can then easily match it up against all the other items sitting in your inventory, letting you know which might be best to use. Anything you don't want could then be sold at any of the game's vending machines, or dropped back onto the ground to allow others to look at its statistical popup and see if it could be useful. This kind of ease of sharing and user-friendliness goes a long way in making quick pickup games far less of a hassle, pulling off the equivalent of World of Warcraft-style item linking in a handy, accessible manner.

another great add

The game lets you start over using the same character, bringing along all your experience, skill setups, items, unlocked inventory space -- everything but your quest progress. The good news is upon restarting the world powers up around you, meaning starting level enemies are right near your level and the items they drop are given a boost. This should be a familiar concept to anyone who's been gaming long enough, but it's nice to see it included here, letting friends progress to the cap with their characters by recycling and giving a jolt of strength to the existing content. Even the elite versions of monsters, called Badass in the first playthrough, are upgraded to BadMutha in the second, and bosses will drop the same but more powerful versions of their first playthrough items.

great add imo

And all this and they gave it an 8.8? Strange for the praise not to reflect the rating (not for IGN though, they are notorious for that).

Anyhoo, I'd like to keep this going. What do you think of IGN's critque? And if you have it (which we will all have in less than 24hrs) what do you rate the game out of 10?

I just read the IGN review and i thought that it was pretty well done. I was actually scared that they might kill the game and give it bad reviews ( i don't know why, i was just scared that they might do that). But the game got the score that i expected, not exactly but it was in that range. It was from an 8.5 to a 9....... glad the game is look very good and promising.

I stopped listening to reviewers (IGN especially) a long time ago. Its best to do your own research into games that interest you, and make up your own mind.

I agree 100%

Everyone has different opinions and tastes about everything. I take reviews with a grain of salt and a shot of penicillin, just in case.

I'm liking everything except the head shots don't kill part. I don't mind unloading clips into bosses or the chests of enemies but shooting a standard enemy in the head and having it still stand after several head shots seems a problem. Still if shooting is as fun as it says then I guess I can overlook that. Fingers crossed it will be a great game.