Opinions on Awakening?

Dark Knight1990

I think it is good so far.

I think the characters from Origins were better, but maybe it is because I had a lot of adventures with the first ones :p

I like the places and the quests.

But for me, I find it to be a bit rushed, and there was not a very good transition from Origins to Awakening for me.

My character was dead. And to import my dead character missing most of my gear was a bit of a shock, and there was no explaination for this.

I could understand if I was stolen from my crypt and brought back to life. And really didn't like that items from the other DLC's for the most part did not make the import.

But I have been trying to just play it and see what happens. I would still buy it with what I know now, as it is a fun adventure... Next character will be a new character and not an import... probably will have more fun with that :)

I loved it but a little short and needs more achievements, played through it Twice already (Warrior and a Mage), Is it just me or if you don't import a lvl 22 or 23 character there is not enough content to make it to 35? first character was imported at 22-23 (cant remember) and i hit 35 at the end barley, my second only made it to 33 and was imported at 21 (did everything or almost everything anyway in Awakening). Anyway love it so much can't wait for more dragon age, even found out recently there are novels and I just downloaded the Audio version of The Stolen Throne listening to it when taking my coffee at Tim Horton's <3 haha fun stuff.

I really enjoyed it.

The character interplay it much better (plus you dont get stuck into conversations by accidently clicking on them)

The weapons and armour is better.

Runecrafting and some cool new abilities.

Some of the quests are far more fun.

Oghren is now awesome.

I loved it but a little short and needs more achievements, played through it Twice already (Warrior and a Mage), Is it just me or if you don't import a lvl 22 or 23 character there is not enough content to make it to 35? first character was imported at 22-23 (cant remember) and i hit 35 at the end barley, my second only made it to 33 and was imported at 21 (did everything or almost everything anyway in Awakening). Anyway love it so much can't wait for more dragon age, even found out recently there are novels and I just downloaded the Audio version of The Stolen Throne listening to it when taking my coffee at Tim Horton's <3 haha fun stuff.

More achievements? Why? It is just an expansion, and seriously buddy, you can't actually read the book, you need it read to you? ;)

First off, if something similar has been posted elsewhere I apologize.

I want to get a few opinions on the new expansion. I keep reading very contradictory reviews and would like to see what a few veterans have to say.

So... whaddya think?

there are legitimate complaints, but overall its a great experience. I really love the story in it as well. If someone loved the dragon age main game, they will love this.

there are legitimate complaints, but overall its a great experience. I really love the story in it as well. If someone loved the dragon age main game, they will love this.

I'd have to agree with this. There are a few things I was disappointed by (Like the lack of conversations with your party members) but overall I think it is a good expansion and well worth it for us DA fans.

No real in depth story with the characters, a lot of glitches.. cant carry items onto main game... price tag is waay to high... you get money way to easily and overall to me it felt rushed. But don't get me wrong i still love it and DA :p

• 2 months later...

I just beat it, and I'd say overall it felt very underwhelming. It's not bad per se, but never does it really feel like anything special at all. There are some gems to be had if you go digging, especially from some of the sidequests and character interactions (especially Anders and the dwarf), but at 40 bucks it just wasn't worth it.

Once the disc drops to 20 or so, I'd say it's DEFINITELY worth it though if you're a fan.

• 3 weeks later...
The only other thing that is bugging me about the expansion is the price tag. Is it worth $40?

In my opinion, it is not. Dragon Age took me about 35 hours to play through. The expansion, with most side quests, took me 11 hours. It's rather underwhelming. Your party members are underdeveloped and get a minimum background. Some of the story parts are interesting, and it does have a few great moments you'll remember, but it doesn't come close to the brilliance of the original.

It's a good expansion, but you won't play through it multiple times. $40 is way too steep in my opinion. I'd wait until it's a bit cheaper.

While I'm complaining about pricing, the same thing goes for DLC. I've bought and completed all the DLC so far, and did so within 30 minutes. $5 for 30 minutes, $40 for 11 hours, it doesn't seem fair compared to $60 for 40 hours.

Then again, some fullpriced games last less than 11 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Compared to the ~40 hours for Dragon Age at $60, I was disappointed with Awakening. 11 Hours for $40 isn't nearly the same value as the original. It had its moments, but there's very little development to the characters, and the ridiculously good items make everything you got in Origins feel totally obsolete.

it feels like an expansion for world of warcraft (oh god, now im dead).

i still like it tough, but as mentioned before, to pricey.

the environments are really nice, and i like the fact that with buying the german disc version of awakening i got the english voiceover for the addon, not like in origins, where i was stuck with that horrible german voices *duh*

what i hated were the weapons and the overall stat/itemization. it is too much in my opinion. too many exotic weapons, to early to get your fingers on setitems etc.

just like an wow expansion...

*duck&run*

I myself enjoyed it, but I got it for like 27 bucks used and then traded it back in during gamestop's extra 50% deal. I more than likely wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if i had paid 40 bucks for it, but maybe I would have played through it more than once just to get the achievements ( since i didn't really even use the 2 main characters i had played through the game with).

• 3 weeks later...

Personally i think Awakening is too short and has far less reply value than origins. I've played through it twice now, each time raking up around 10 - 12 hours. The story was okay. The characters were hit and miss. Justice was probley the only original character there. Also Mhairi was probley another good character.

Also a lot of the refinements in Awakening really improve the game, like the added spells, talents, skills, materials, higher level cap and being easier to earn money.

Overall i think the expansion could have been better and i personally would have preferred an expansion that takes place within origins not after it. But its still more Dragon age and who can complain with that.

I enjoyed the story of it. I thought it was concise and not dragged on like many stories can be. The new characters were a breath of fresh air, the bosses were okay but nothing too different or challengeng.

Overall i would give it about an 8 out of 10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like it a lot, one thing I noticed in particular is that I found the areas more interesting to explore than in the main game. Lots of good side quests too, and all those new skills add a lot of flavour.

The only thing I hate about it is all those DLC items that don't carry over, VERY annoying.

That's very true, I can't decide whether the art style and graphics were improved on, or if it's just down to being my first playthrough and everything looks fresh because I'm playing it for the first time. But that was my first impression was that the environments seemed a lot better compared to the main game..