Help with boss Ash Lake

osakamitsu

Ok got it! VERY VERY EASY!

Im LVL 45 but I this should be easy to people that are lower levels. Heres what you do.

Take off ALL armor, equip the Cloranthy Ring to boost stamina regen (found by dropping inside the hollow tree in the first area of The Great Hollow), equip a shield with 100% damage reduction. I used a knight shield +4 (found to the right of the church if your facing it) guarded by a cape knight you can back stab. I also used my drake sword +1.

I have read that people are having trouble getting close to him? I havent at all. Just make a B line STRAIGHT for him. I got there so quickly I was waiting on him and he only shot a couple times at me.

During the fight, he may spit water at you once or twice. Stay close to him... there seems to be a sweet spot right in the middle. The hardest part of this fight is the water he spits. Stay close to him so he doesnt back away. Every time he backs away he spits.

Here is the laughably easy way to beat him. Find that sweet spot, seems like its to where the heads are just out of screen. Hold your shield up, stand still, wait for him to growl then back up straight back. You are baiting the heads to where you are standing. You should be able to 100% block everything he throws at you if your endurance is high enough. Mine was only at 21 and I had plenty. You may get hit in the beginning because of the shear number up heads flying at you but as you cut the heads off the fight gets easier and easier. He will have less to spit at you and less heads to lunge at you with. I did have my flask at +10 just in case. As soon as the heads bury themselves, unlock on him, hit triangle or Y (I guess, Im on PS3) and two hand you weapon to do more damage. Then turn around and start lopping the heads off. When the heads are moving back get your shield back out, but dont hold the button down so that your endurance builds back up. Then just sit there and wait til he growls again and do the same thing over and over.

If you dont get hit by the water you could very well beat him without getting hit. The heads are very hard to hit, your character just swings past them most of the time but you can do it.

A word of caution. Dont go to the right because you will lure the other enemies in and they will kill you while you are focused on the boss. I stayed right in the middle. Once you take the heads off in the center he has a very hard time even getting close to hitting you with his heads or the water, because the other heads he has left are on the ends.

Taking off the armor just makes you move faster. Helpful when dodging the water.

Good luck and I hope i helped someone.

LOT OF IMPORTANT ITEMS HERE AS WELL!!

Also there is 5 dragon scales here and the Great magic barrier miracle. 2 dragon scales are at the beginning, one in the middle by a tree, 2 from the hydra. The miracle is also by the same tree at the scale. You can also cut the tale off the dragon at the end of the path by the second bonfire to get the Dragon Great Sword. My guess is that this is the Dragon Bone smasher of demons souls! The dragon bone smasher was VERY powerful in demons souls.

Edited by osakamitsu

I killed him at level 40 as a Knight, but I had a ton of resistance/endurance, so I was able to absorb attacks a lot easier than most.

Just takes awhile if you don't have a good way to deal damage. I rerolled as a Pyromancer this morning (lvl 35 atm), and so far killing things has been much faster. Hoping it stays that way.

Sorry if this has been asked already but where do you find this Hydra, assuming its not the same ask the one in the forest?

In Blighttown, make it to the tree which is kind of opposite side Queelags Chamber and climb "ALLLLLLLL" the way down. Avoiding curse frogs, mushrooms. Once you make it to the bottom, you're at Ash Lake and if you follow the beach you'll eventually run into the Dragon Covenant. You can't miss the Hydra

I believe there is a hydra also located in Darkroot basin.

Edited by Echilion

In Blighttown, make it to the tree which is kind of opposite side Queelags Chamber and climb "ALLLLLLLL" the way down. Avoiding curse frogs, mushrooms. Once you make it to the bottom, you're at Ash Lake and if you follow the beach you'll eventually run into the Dragon Covenant. You can't miss the Hydra

I believe there is a hydra also located in Darkroot basin.

The Hydra is in Ash Lake. Or do i not understand what Darkroot Basin is?

The Hydra is in Ash Lake. Or do i not understand what Darkroot Basin is?

There are two Hydra. The one in Darkroot Basin is significantly weaker than the one in Ash Lake.

Ash Lake Hydra: 3864 HP, 10000 Souls

Darkroot Basin: 2520 HP, 5000 Souls

Same boss, same strategy, the Ash Lake Hydra is just stronger.

I'm kind of stuck at the darkroot basin hydra. It's extremely easy to guard against water projectiles and heads, but I just can't seem to chop it's last head off. It's the most right sided head. Whenever it does that head strike, it always lands so far from me and in the very edge of water that I can walk. If I try to hit it I fall to my death.

I'm kind of stuck at the darkroot basin hydra. It's extremely easy to guard against water projectiles and heads, but I just can't seem to chop it's last head off. It's the most right sided head. Whenever it does that head strike, it always lands so far from me and in the very edge of water that I can walk. If I try to hit it I fall to my death.

Try moving to a different spot. Whenever I couldn't reach a head I just moved to the other side of him and it would land in a different spot.

I actually got lucky with this hydra.

I didn't want to fight him, because I had been cursed, so I ran to the second bonfire in the area. On the way out, I saw it fall through the water, and I got ten thousand souls and two dragon scales. I don't know if it made any difference, but I was wearing an item that made it so enemies couldnt hear me.

is there any actual point for me going after the hydra below blighttown....I really effing hated blightown....

Aside from the covenant mentioned, there are two other things. A miracle inside of a tree, but in order to get to it you have to drop from the ramp leading up to the top entrance. And the Dragon Greatsword, gained by lopping off the tail of the Stone Dragon (the covenant giver). You will not have to fight it and it didn't seem to null anything for me, I could still use the bonfire and still talk to it, but just in case, be sure to pray to it first and then do the necessary things to get the achievement, and THEN cut his tail off, again, he's not aggressive afterward so there will be no battle.

I know the place sucks, but if you opened the shortcut in the Valley of Drakes it takes no time, or much effort to get to the Great Hollow, but going down from there is a pain in the ass. In this portion of the de-hike there are 2-3 Crystal Lizards, if quick enough, and tons of colored and standard tatinite shards.

is there any actual point for me going after the hydra below blighttown....I really effing hated blightown....

Well if you read the part of the main post I list everything else that is there.

- Cloranthy Ring from The Great Hollow

- 5 Dragon Scales from Ash Lake

- A miracle from As Lake

- Dragon Covenant

- A powerful sword from the tail of the dragon covenent guy

Well if you read the part of the main post I list everything else that is there.

- Cloranthy Ring from The Great Hollow

- 5 Dragon Scales from Ash Lake

- A miracle from As Lake

- Dragon Covenant

- A powerful sword from the tail of the dragon covenent guy

I just got there. Had to get 2 mushroom men stuck in a little dip in the mushrooms. Had to get another stuck and pike him for about 5 minutes before he died.

Got down activated bonfire killed Hydra with ease and those clams continued ****ing me up :(

I returned to firelink shortly after. I heard there is an item that lets you tele between bonfires so hopefully in future I can just tele in and out of there.

I just got there. Had to get 2 mushroom men stuck in a little dip in the mushrooms. Had to get another stuck and pike him for about 5 minutes before he died.

Got down activated bonfire killed Hydra with ease and those clams continued ****ing me up :(

I returned to firelink shortly after. I heard there is an item that lets you tele between bonfires so hopefully in future I can just tele in and out of there.

You can tele there IF you got the bonfire in front of the dragon which is past those clams. There are 2 bonfires down there and I dont think you can tele to the first one.

Please no, don't do this to me D:

Yea you can only teleport to important bonfires like one next to a covenant or firekeeper. Those clams are easy anyways, they attack so slow just keep circling them and attack when they miss.