The Citadel

phenominality

Obviously since many people have gotten all the points for this game, you've passed this level. It's 19 in the Hell on Earth campaign. i can't figure out how to beat it aka get either the blue or yellow skull. All the videos i've seen show a glitch being exploited that has been patched in this version, or the user has a mod that breaks the game (being able to jump, look around, etc.) Could someone please explain to me how to beat this level legit? much love

I understand your problem. The yellow key is tricky.

So I think you allready have the red skull-key. It is possible to run/strafe from the red-key-position onto the blue-key-position. But I couldn't manage to do that in the xbox-version since real fast running and strafing seems to be more difficult with a game pad.

The goal is to get the yellow key:

When you get into the second room (behind the bridge) you open the left "secret" door and you activate the switch in this new room. 2 doors will open. You take the left. You go straight forward till you can open another door. Open that door, go through and instantly go back. When you are back in the big room with that switch you activated before turn to the left immediately. A wall lowered and you just go along this way killing a shitload of imps and 2 invisible demons. At the end you will find the yellow skull key and a skull-switch.

You can finish the level with those 2 keys to lower the bars in front of the exit. You don't need the blue one.

@Evil Dobermann

thx man, that worked like a charm. i remember looking at that skull wondering what it did cuz i would hear doors open, but i just wrote it off as coincidence; partly cuz there's a lot of secrets in Doom that aren't necessary to completing levels. It's surprising that of all the videos i looked at, none came up with this strategy to finishing the level.

@mjc0961

I'll check out that site 1st if i get stuck on any other Doom levels. Thank you

This level was definitely a bitch to figure out. I'm guessing I reverted to no-clip or jumping when I ran through this game on the PC awhile back... lol. But yeah, I too went ahead and finished it with just two keys.

The numbers in parenthese refer to the map image so you can see exactly where they are talking about. Its very convenient.
Except that I've looked on the maps they provide, and I see no numbers on them.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050111222550/doom/images/d/de/MAP19_map.png

See? No numbers.

Anyway, I also joined the 2 key club for this one. I don't even think I've ever known where to get the blue one, but all you need is the one to open the middle bars and one to open either side and you can get through. 3rd key be damned.

I wasnt trying to show you up or be a know it all. The night before I used that site to get everything in the first episode of Doom and assumed that all of thier maps were numbered and lettered the same way. Through the walkthrough there would be numbers or letters in parentheses and they would correspond to the same letters or numbers on the map image. As I thumb through thier site I see that only the first episode of the original Doom actually has the map markings, despite all of the walkthroughs having the numbers in parentheses.