This Game Is Frustrating

MabusScarab

Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I might wait for DOTW and then i'll 400/400 this game.

I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.

No need to call me names, lets have a good discussion here. I would d-load the demo but i have no space on my hard drive (only a 20GB HD). The next time i go to a friends i'll get the trial. As for the money issue, i have enough obviously but i wont spend 1200 on a game unless i really like it.

you're acting like 400/400 is very hard, maybe it's because you're not good at the game?

Again i'm NOT bashing the game, just voicing my opinion.

Edited by Jakez123

When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.

Edited by AltarofPlagues

When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.

Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.

Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.

I have died 1272 times, and I have not beaten the game. But I think I just suck at it. I tend to rush I think.

Yeah this game is very fun but unforgiving. This random generating levels is a whole new difficulty. At times it seems like you HAVE to take damage. It really sucks when you have to fall and there’s spikes at the bottom. Spikes shouldn’t kill you in one hit.

And about the glitches and the game “dicking/cheating” around, the only thing I think is messed up is the stupid shop keepers. What the hell is their problem? I've noticed the shop keepers (very commonly) tend to freak out and start blasting the bottom of the map even though I'm like a mile away. Not only does it ruin my opportunity to buy something, but it also usually gets me killed because he eventually gets stuck down near the exit.... One time I even bought an item from him, left the shop with my present, opened it and he got set off for no reason. It's also stupid how enemies can make him go crack head on you, he's like a mile away and he even says “you'll pay for your crimes!” …. WTF!? What crimes?

Anyways I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks

ive also just broken a controller. so yeah. its not always fun.

I've seen a few of your posts about and would like to suggest some tips for olmec if the game graces you with his presence. I am assuming that you are trying to do it the fast way as displayed in the speed run video, this way is fast but is also temperamental. You can however adopt 2 different approaches,

firstly you can just dig a hole using bombs, you must have between 15-20 bombs however but by luring olmec to 1 side then quickly running to the other you can just freeze him off screen while you dig your hole, then lead him in, voilà. This method means no enemies to fight at all and you only need to run under olmec once at the beginning (or not at all if you have a jet pack).

Secondly if you have low bombs then you can take your time and use olmec to dig a staircase down to the lava. You need to keep an eye out for when he smashes blocks with treasure in as that is when enemies will spawn (if you don't have sunglasses/udjat eye then this can happen randomly as the secret gems spawn enemies), so use the before mentioned freeze olmec off screen technique and deal with them sensibly then start digging with olmec again when its clear. This way is laborious but is a lot more consistent as you have room to deal with the bad guys. Finally if you have managed to get the kapala on route you can constantly build your health up from collecting all the blood from the many enemies you will kill.

Hope you can take something from this.

Edited by Scottcool

I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks

Firstly the journal only fills for the main profile so that can't be done and so only the main profile can unlock new characters so strike that off also. I can't confirm shopkeepers or damsels but i would think you would get it probably if you personally got the desired amount but not for both (only speculation).

I also can't confirm Speedlunky, Low Scorer or Big Money but can't see why they wouldn't be shared. All the rest i can say will unlock for both.

Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I might wait for DOTW and then i'll 400/400 this game.

There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.

There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.

I agree that this game is very hard but it isn't quite that hard. I have three achievements left to get and hope to get them in the next few days, the numbers of people with it maxed are low currently but it has only been out a fortnight and there are many different achievements requiring many different runs with different goals. You would have to have a lot of time on your hands or a lot of luck/skill to have it maxed already

Finally got the ''Speedlunky'' achievement - 6:34 (would have been faster, but i wanted to get my time in the Temple ^^). Also had a great money run and ended with 408k in City of Gold. I have 12 more bombs, so that would be enough to get tons of gold there. However, got killed by one of these magma Guys, which pop-up from the lava. :(

Killing every shopkeeper and cleaning the Black Market nets you tons of bombs. After market i had over 79. :0

edit: Make another run - 445k and i even lost my chance to reach City of Gold (scepter got destroyed by one trap :0). I'm almost there. :)

Edited by sepulturas666

There are 4 of us on http://www.trueachievements.com/100club.aspx?gameid=4403 so far. You could probably find a few more if you checked the leaderboards (looking at people with more than $500k). The achievements do seem utterly impossible when you start out, but they can be done. A few weeks of constant practice will do wonders.

Mind you, half the reason there are so "many" completions is because the game is such addictive fun. If a lesser game were this hard, you might not see any at all. :)

There are a few XBLA games that are tougher completions. Robotron, Battlezone, and Asteroids come to mind. But out of the 396 I've managed to complete, this one is probably the hardest. That ought to tell you something... And Jakez, that's why we're scoffing at your overconfidence. :p

There are 4 of us on http://www.trueachievements.com/100club.aspx?gameid=4403 so far. You could probably find a few more if you checked the leaderboards (looking at people with more than $500k). The achievements do seem utterly impossible when you start out, but they can be done. A few weeks of constant practice will do wonders.

Mind you, half the reason there are so "many" completions is because the game is such addictive fun. If a lesser game were this hard, you might not see any at all. :)

There are a few XBLA games that are tougher completions. Robotron, Battlezone, and Asteroids come to mind. But out of the 396 I've managed to complete, this one is probably the hardest. That ought to tell you something... And Jakez, that's why we're scoffing at your overconfidence. :p

Once this game appears on DOTW i'll buy it then complete it. Nothing more or less.

Yay, finally. Destroyed the whole City of Gold and running out of bombs at 488k. After that got some diamonds during Olmec battle. I'm glad money and speedrun achievements are done. Now will get a little break from this game. My current GOTY so far. :)

http://oi50.tinypic.com/17p9ar.jpg

Edited by sepulturas666

Yay, finally. Destroyed the whole City of Gold and running out of bombs at 488k. After that got some diamonds during Olmec battle. I'm glad money and speedrun achievements are done. Now will get a little break from this game. My current GOTY so far. :)

Awesome, congrats! I'd be rather nervous going in to Olmec with under $500k...

The one thing that people don't realize about the difficulty is the pressure cooker you are in when you make it deep into the game. Basically you have like 3-4 real good looks at the achievement you are going for in like 4 hours of gAmeplay. When I get to Olmec, I get all hot and the stomach drops... The stupid low scorer has caused me so much headache and I still haven't gotten it. I always get screwed in the most random way. Explosions with flying gold at the beginning of an ice cave, getting the block traps pushing mummy rubys at me....literally the list is endless.

The stupid low scorer has caused me so much headache and I still haven't gotten it. I always get screwed in the most random way. Explosions with flying gold at the beginning of an ice cave, getting the block traps pushing mummy rubys at me....literally the list is endless.

Yeah this achievement requires pure luck. I tried few times and always get some little chunk of gold in Jungle. Some of them are well hidden and you almost always pick up them accidentally. Can't see myself getting this achievement anytime soon.

Just got gone with low scorer and was a stupid monkey away from getting to hell the very next game. May go for the big money one next. Any tips on the preferred method by the ones who have gotten it? Do you do a terrorist run or just save for bombs. Is there any bomb reward from sacrificing so many damsels in one game? I think I have done 5 at most and remember getting like 6 or so health on the 4th.

Just got gone with low scorer and was a stupid monkey away from getting to hell the very next game. May go for the big money one next. Any tips on the preferred method by the ones who have gotten it? Do you do a terrorist run or just save for bombs. Is there any bomb reward from sacrificing so many damsels in one game? I think I have done 5 at most and remember getting like 6 or so health on the 4th.

Killing shopkeepers usually nets you tons of bombs, especially in Black Market. Don't spend any of your money - steal all of the stuff.

From what i have read, the reward for sacrificing 4 alive damsels is 99 bombs.

Edited by sepulturas666

Killing shopkeepers usually nets you tons of bombs, especially in Black Market. Don't spend any of your money - steal all of the stuff.

From what i have read, the reward for sacrificing 4 alive damsels is 99 bombs.

Sadly, no. That was in the PC version only; it takes more luck with shops to hit high bomb totals now. As far as I can tell, the rewards are:

1 Damsel: random useful item that you don't have yet

2 Damsels: Kapala

Every 2 Damsels after that: 4-8 health

Note that 4 dead Shopkeepers/Yetis = 1 Damsel, and 2 live Yetis = 1 damsel. Not totally sure on the numbers (or how valuable other monsters are), but that's what I go by.

One trick I used for high gold totals was to open up the Shopkeeper vaults, kill the Shopkeeper and shoot open the chests, then wait for the Ghost to come and turn them into diamonds. You'll get $70k-$100k per vault, which helps a lot if you don't luck into very many bombs.

Edited by SnapDragon