Before you play this game read me

Ok, so since I bought this last week I have scoured the interwebs for answers to questions about playing this game and I thought I'd share everything I couldn't find out there and explain it.

First off, this is a children's show but not really a children's game. It gets pretty difficult, especially when you're playing your second run through. The game also gives you the diservice of not really telling you what to do next.

The first thing you need after the minimal little opening dungeon is the banarang and the baggie from the shop north of the first castle. Then pause, hit RB twice and your helpful map will show up. On your first run you want to collect everything, so I would advise to print out this map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=364720332

and mark off everything once you've collected it, because you totally will miss one thing. I did.

After your first castle you want to go and get Flambo, the achievement link in this forum explains that.

You also can upgrade various items at Marceline's pond.

Once you've defeated the last boss, I would advice to load up your save and beat the boss again and pick one of the princesses you didn't pick the first time. Then just pick the last princess during your second run through. Once you've defeated the last boss you can just load up your save and finish any tasks in the overworld you haven't completed yet.

Your first run through is pretty easy and not to bothersome, it's the second run through that sucks.

In the second run through you can't upgrade anything that will give you more defense or health. Most castles I literally would get through a room, then die, have to run back and get to the next room, and die, repeat ad naseum. But once you get to the boss in any castle, I would recommend to have plenty of baggies with invincibility trail mix and before you tackle the boss, save and continue your file under the pause menu. Then if you die during the fight, exit to the dashboard and come back so you have all the trail mix.

Trail mix, the little things you collect under bushes and stuff, the game doesn't really explain what this does or how to use it. You want to just collect it, then go to the witches hut with the peanut on the top, then you trade in your supplies for the various mixes. The things you want to collect for your second run through are the demon hearts that make the invincibility mix. They're the purple mess looking things.

I think that's the extent of things I couldn't figure out when I was playing, and this seems to be helpful so if you have any questions lemme know.