House of Cards

OceanH

http://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2J2dXdyNy5qcGcUsAkUkA4AFgASAA&s=yw7kKWNVzfGg0cee-p54DTBER2Lew0Hs2TMxQYSsv-E

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwUzF1q5w4[/ame]

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bav13WeCMAAMONw.jpg

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9QTLXYCCc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6x4Y1wus4[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by OceanH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yay!!!! Even though season 2 STILL ISN'T OUT :mad:

edit: What a crazy season.. I don't think I've ever had so many WTF!?!?! moments in a show.

Edited by Shiftie

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly prefer this show than breaking bad and that's a show I wholeheartedly love and can't fault.

House of cards is great (as is the first series at least of the uk show) spacey and wright are brilliant.

If you're not currently watching or have watched this show you don't have my permission to breath towards you do

• 8 months later...

Finally finished season 2 recently. Really surprised to see Frank realize his ultimate goal to become president by the end. I'll admit the steps he took and the conclusion it reached seems a bit absurd and far fetched, but it was still entertaining nonetheless. I'm still hoping to see him taken down for the murder of Peter Russo and Zoe Barnes, and something tells me that the hacker fellow will be key to that...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finding Season 3 to be vastly inferior to the prior two seasons. The most glaring flaw is the significant change in Frank. He went from being a powerful man to one who unsuccessfully hides behind his office, from a strategist to a failed bluffer, and most importantly, he went from being a predator to being a bully. It's no longer impressive when he threatens people, and seeing misstep after misstep is boring, not tense. If the show wants me to care about the main character, then he needs to be more compelling.

Finding Season 3 to be vastly inferior to the prior two seasons. The most glaring flaw is the significant change in Frank. He went from being a powerful man to one who unsuccessfully hides behind his office, from a strategist to a failed bluffer, and most importantly, he went from being a predator to being a bully. It's no longer impressive when he threatens people, and seeing misstep after misstep is boring, not tense. If the show wants me to care about the main character, then he needs to be more compelling.

Both Frank and Claire seem "off" this season.

Frank does eventually come around, but it's like Claire is only now realizing that SHE wasn't made President. I'm not sure why Claire is trying to be powerful on the "world stage" when as First Lady, she has far more power to wield in the US. First Ladies do a lot when it comes to dictating domestic policy, but Claire seems lost.

The whole season was rather odd, and on top of that, the only murder wasn't even shown on screen, which was rather disappointing after Zoe's murder in Season Two.

Both Frank and Claire seem "off" this season.

Frank does eventually come around, but it's like Claire is only now realizing that SHE wasn't made President. I'm not sure why Claire is trying to be powerful on the "world stage" when as First Lady, she has far more power to wield in the US. First Ladies do a lot when it comes to dictating domestic policy, but Claire seems lost.

The whole season was rather odd, and on top of that, the only murder wasn't even shown on screen, which was rather disappointing after Zoe's murder in Season Two.

Yeah, Claire has been extraordinarily clumsy this whole season. Her poise defined her previously, which made it such a big deal when she had her moment of openness in the Season 2 press interview about abortion. But even then she turned it into a very elegant political play that built influence which saved the Underwoods when they were in political exile, by forging such a strong bond with the First Lady. In Season 3, all she does is question herself, question her husband and blurt out whatever the hell she's thinking right at that moment. She's impulsive and careless, which is nearly the opposite of her original character.

About halfway through Season 3 myself. Haven't read the last few posts yet to avoid spoilers, but I will say that I'm enjoying it so far. Doug is still obsessed over Rachel even after what she did to him at the end of season 2, and it's interesting seeing what Frank is doing now that he's in the Oval Office. I think the idea behind AmWorks is pretty far fetched as a concept, so I'm curios to see how it gets played out as the show progresses. I think the only downside so far is Claire, as I'm not liking her behavior/actions as First Lady and UN ambassador so far.

About halfway through Season 3 myself. Haven't read the last few posts yet to avoid spoilers, but I will say that I'm enjoying it so far. Doug is still obsessed over Rachel even after what she did to him at the end of season 2, and it's interesting seeing what Frank is doing now that he's in the Oval Office. I think the idea behind AmWorks is pretty far fetched as a concept, so I'm curios to see how it gets played out as the show progresses. I think the only downside so far is Claire, as I'm not liking her behavior/actions as First Lady and UN ambassador so far.

Frank's "AmWorks" plan is COMPLETELY Far-Fetched because he's tearing down Social Security to pay for it. The idea of gaining reluctant support for any plan that would do that in the US is ludicrous. Older voters are consistent voters, and anyone past 40 years old would never want their 20+ years of payments into the Social Security program to not return to them when they reach retirement.

That's the real problem with Social Security ... it was meant to be a "supplemental retirement plan", but today many Americans rely on it as their "primary" retirement plan. The government would go bankrupt before politicians ever outright removed it. To date, several politicians in the US that have even voted for increasing the retirement age have ended up out of office in their next election.

Something will eventually need to be done, probably in the next decade, but they'll find a way to save the program far before they ever replace it with a Jobs bill ... which is essentially what "America Works" is. It's a BIG Jobs bill, but essentially that's really all it is.

Doug's narrative is easily the most compelling of the third season. Good acting and very interesting and ambiguous motivations. Amworks made me laugh (be aware; I'm a foreign adoptee into American citizenship), if only because anything resembling the agenda would be absolute political suicide. And Claire is absolutely the downfall of the season; she became such a weak-minded simpleton throughout the season, more and more, that after a while my only appreciation came from Robin's superb acting.