Rugby World Cup 2011

MopFlop

Friday sees the start of the RWC in NZ so who is everyone routing for, how well do you think they'll do and who do people think are going to win.

Following England and i reckon we should have a decent run. Doubt we will reach the final as i believe we will lose to NZ in the semis. Also thik we will lose our first game...again but this time to Argentina

Reckon it is also NZ to lose as they seem unbeatable at home. However they always seem unbeatable coming up to a RWC but they are the best chokers in the world

I think that England can do well in the world cup but they have to win their group. If we win then we will (probably) play france in the quarter finals and we have already beaten the once this year so I think we can do it again but if we come second then we will play New Zealand and I wont be too confident about the result

about six months ago there was talk in this country on sports radio about a such thing as the all blacks peaking. peaking means that they would win so many games but then play more and lose because they were only their best for so long. we lost against australia, could the peak be over?

Agreed that it's technically New Zealands to lose, but their last few games in the Tri Nations they looked pretty poor.

Don't think England will lose against the Argies, think we'll fuck em over like it's the Falklands.

Group A:

1st Kiwis

2nd French

Group B:

1st England

2nd Argentina

Group C

1st Australia

2nd Ireland

Group D

1st South Africa

2nd Samoa/Wales. Closest group for 3rd I guess...gonna give it to Samoa

W-C v RU-D

Australia vs Samoa - Would love for it to go to the Samoans, but I don't think they can beat the Wallabies.

W-B v RU-A

England vs France - Got to go with England :p

W-D v RU-C

SA vs Ireland - Interesting game, could go either way, but I'd give it to the Boks.

W-A v RU-B

Kiwis vs Argies - No doubt on this one. Go Kiwis!

QF1 vs QF2

Wallabies v England. Urgh. I hate this line up. Head says one thing, heart the opposite. Only one man can win us this game, and it's the manager. Biggest test of the tournie.

QF3 v QF4

SA vs NZ. Is this where NZ choke? I have a feeling it could be, but I'll give them the doubt.

Final

Wallabies vs NZ

That's a tough one, but I think Australia edges out the Kiwis if they get past England. Kiwis don't do well with the pressue at the world cup, let alone at home.

Dream Final

SA vs England

We'll be given the try we scored in the final 4 years ago, and we'll go on to glory again.

we lost against australia, could the peak be over?

Gee, you make it sound like Australia is terrible! :(

As much as I would love to see Australia succeed, I can see them losing their QF match, where they will face South Africa.

At the time of posting, there is 24 hours and 47 minutes until it starts. Not that big of a Rugby Union fan, but I will be watching what I can, when I can.

Official website, for anyone interested - http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html

Gee, you make it sound like Australia is terrible! :(

As much as I would love to see Australia succeed, I can see them losing their QF match, where they will face South Africa.

At the time of posting, there is 24 hours and 47 minutes until it starts. Not that big of a Rugby Union fan, but I will be watching what I can, when I can.

Official website, for anyone interested - http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html

richie mccaw is my favourite, but i don't think he is playing? he is built like a super soldier.

we were very lucky with winning during i believe the last tournament, we won almost every game. we also won the bledisloe cup. i am not confident that new zealand is going to win the world cup however. that i think is going to either australia or south africa, or perhaps another team. expect the unexpected.

Hmmm i reckon wales will take 2nd in pool B. Not that it matters much. I can only see one of two teams actually winning this thing realistically, and only 5 teams are a chance at all IMO. There may be a minor upset somewhere in the group stages, but i can't see anyone stopping NZ or Aus other than each other when it matters most. NZ look the most likely to win, but hopefully they choke.:p

GO AUSTRALIA:woop:

Well I'm hoping either we lose one of our group matches and go through second or the kiwis do as im seeing both those games and would love to see England play NZ as the atmosphere will be amazing.

Can see Wales failing to go through as they always seem to struggle against the south sea islands

Also good to see Tonga get some points and not finish with 0

Group D

1st South Africa

2nd Samoa/Wales. Closest group for 3rd I guess...gonna give it to Samoa

Don't say that :( I probably agree though.

I actually want NZ to win. They haven't won it recently and as a country they've had a fairly crappy time of it recently.

wasn't this world cup tournament suppost to start in november? why has it been brought forward?

Generally the final is in November, so it starts way before then. Think the finals October 23rd this time though.

And Johnny Wilkinson always has one bad kicking game at the World Cup- glad he's got it over and done with nice and early and we still got the win over the other good team in Group B...well, maybe Scotland as well at a push.

They weren't all easy kicks, granted. But someone of his caliber- arguably the best kicker in the world, should not miss 4 kicks in a row.

Apparently, and I'm not trying to make excuses as he should get them, but in Dunedin stadium apparently theres some bollocks with kicking the ball and is why the kicking ratio was poor. But that just sounds like a shit excuse like what they always say about the Italian ball in the 6 nations.

Was definitely not expecting Wales to push SA at all

Apparently, and I'm not trying to make excuses as he should get them, but in Dunedin stadium apparently theres some bollocks with kicking the ball and is why the kicking ratio was poor. But that just sounds like a shit excuse like what they always say about the Italian ball in the 6 nations.

Was definitely not expecting Wales to push SA at all

Got to say, Wales did an a great job of containing SA. Wasn't expecting them to look that good. Cannot wait for Wales vs Samoa now- should be an even better game as there's even more riding on it.

As for the kick that never was- that's part of rugby. They had 2 more decent chances to get the points they needed after the SA try and didn't. It always goes SA's way- they didn't count the England try in the 2007 final remember :p

ANd I know that Dunedin is an enclosed indoor stadium, so guess that affects things. Still, not as bad as it was for Scotland, where the wind would blow the ball off just before Patterson kicked it lol.

Glad to see some Americans watching the tournament now. People came up to me today and were like "holy shit, theres no rules is there?!". Was laughing hard. Definitely no "unnecessary roughness" rule like in American Football.

i read in a newspaper this morning... new zealand obliterates japan, 83-7. well, that was embarassing. i didn't think the score would get that high, i thought japan would do better than that. new zealand was just the better team.

Really? Last time they played at the World Cup, NZ got 144 points. There's a huge difference between the top 8 or 9 teams in the world and the rest.

Japan will be happy with that result- they got a try that no-one was expecting. NZ will be disappointed they didn't get more. They'd have been after 100 probably. And they missed a lot of kicks.

Really? Last time they played at the World Cup, NZ got 144 points. There's a huge difference between the top 8 or 9 teams in the world and the rest.

Japan will be happy with that result- they got a try that no-one was expecting. NZ will be disappointed they didn't get more. They'd have been after 100 probably. And they missed a lot of kicks.

i didn't watch the game. i was going to listen to it on the radio in bed but forgot when it was time. anyway, the show goes on.

Great game from the Irish last night, thrown a real spanner into the works in that pool now. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid with the 'easy' games.

And after the game, Ronan O'Gara announced he was retiring after the world cup. Sad to see the end of probably the 2nd best Northern Hemisphere kicker of this generation. Number of times he's pissed me off by kicking some ridiculous punt into touch for crazy yardage is unbelievable lol.

And next up is Wales vs Samoa, which has potential as the best game of the group phase...which totally means it's going to disappoint! But with the prize basically being a place in the last 8, both teams know this is the most crucial game of their campaign.

Loving the potential for Ireland vs England and SA vs Australia in the quarter finals tho.

Edited by Minty