Going for Seriously? PLEASE BACK UP YOUR DATA!

SkinnyBin

Hello,

I read a few posts myself about backing up your Gears data and kinda thought, "Na, that won't happen to me". Well it did!

My game crashed yesterday and upon reloading, I was reset to rank 1 and lost ALL my medals, ribbons and unlocks. I was weeks a away from seriously, this is all I had left:

Explosives: 4343/6000

Skunker: 1158/2500

Lancer: 2266/6000

Hammerburst: 4125/6000

Gnasher: 2872/6000

CTL: 1249/3000

KOTH: 1175/3000

Warzone: 2921/3000

TDM: 1013/3000

Wingman: 1505/3000

Hard Target: 2024/3000

Shock Trooper: 1797/3000

Horder: 1107/2000

Architect: 229/300

Big money: 2.84/5mil

I had played over 700 hours, in just over 2 months, which included a lot of idle boosting. All that has been lost!

Basically, your stats are stored on the servers, but the main file, the file the servers actually make a copy of is stored locally on your xbox, called "Player Data". If your game crashes and you have NOT backed up your data, you can delete the "player data" file from your hard drive, and then when you click start on the main menu, it will load a copy of your most recent server back up.

After my crash, when I reloaded and pressed start on the menu, I effectively told the servers to make a copy of my corrupted "player data" which had no ranks, medals, ribbons etc. This is the point of no return, as I found out yesterday.

Here's a detailed thread on how to back up your data:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/839290-BACKUP-YOUR-DATA-NOW!!!-Worried-about-getting-rank-reset-Backup-your-data!!!!

For anyone who's interested, I've decided that Seriously 3.0 and Epic's shit system will not beat me, so I have started the long slog of getting this achievement!

Damn man, sorry again. You gonna use the Cloud device to back your stuff up from now on?

Na Im using a USB. If you use cloud and your connection drops while you are backing it up then you lose it, a guy did it yesterday, it seems to risky for me.

Every night now I'm going to create a back up file. I think it's shocking that a company as big as EPIC can let this happen tho

surely all that is stored on epic's's server? Rank and medals wont be on hdd.

They are. It's only a small file, just has stats required on it. The servers just make a back up of that file.

Therefore, if you hdd file gets wiped, if you connect and let the servers back it up, then it overwrite your old file.

I wont count the offline. But e.g Im level 50 im playing at my house then i go to my mates house and recover my tag when i go on gears i will be level 50 without my save. So your stats being wiped looks like and epic fail ( see what i did there ) rather than HDD.

Nah when you recover the gamertag, as you sign in on the menu, the game connects to the epic server, and downloads the "player data" file onto the local hard drive.

When you carry on the playing that file is saved locally, but is also backed up to the server at the same time.

It's stored both locally and on the servers. When you start up gears, it updates whichever one isn't up to date. The corrupted data overwrites your stats. I'm guessing the local data is the faulty one, but that's not the issue here. If you have a backup, you should be able to use it to overwrite the corrupted data.

Do you guys know how to be able to choose memory devices on the starting screen? It seems to just load my from Harddrive as a default without ever having to choose from any other devices.

It only does this if you have 1 storage device, it'll ask you to save on that (usually your HDD) the first time then remember it so it'll automatically save to it every time. Now if you activate Cloud or add a USB Stick at the dashboard, then boot up the game, after you press start at the main start menu the prompt will pop up asking which device you want to save it to.

It only does this if you have 1 storage device, it'll ask you to save on that (usually your HDD) the first time then remember it so it'll automatically save to it every time. Now if you activate Cloud or add a USB Stick at the dashboard, then boot up the game, after you press start at the main start menu the prompt will pop up asking which device you want to save it to.
Thanks so much

OMG that sucks! i hope you only played for a fraction of that 700 hrs.

I wish. I estimate that I put easily 350-400 hours in of that myself!

I'm going for it again though, currently sitting on 15% and I'm not going to let the reset stop me.

I wrote this thread though to make everyone aware that this could happen to you at any point, so please, please back up your data! It only takes 2 mins!