My Cybernetic Slug Commando Build Guide - As Requested By You

Dstrukt

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, gotta say, love me some Commando.

I ended up changing around this build a bit, going down the right path for the extra damage...

My God. So much fun. I wasn't even trying, half asleep, and ended up getting my Unstoppable achievement for the second level. I kept the spirit of this build, and followed the runes guide (just sub Hybrid for Slug, and Rifle for Cannon) in this post, and I can't be happier.

Just gotta finish Hel and that's my 1k. Thanks again for all the people who have assisted those new to this game!

• 1 month later...

This guide is honestly a superb guide.

I built a commando based on this guide and it is simply awesome. I did deviate some what, as FlipSwitch illustrated, and then did add a few points into the first plasma skill. This was due to using the plasma rifle/cannon on certain levels.

After respecing the build a few times (still testing my build now) I am leaning more towards the idea that the 7 points into Terminal Ballistic Analysis is really a waste. I moved all but one of these points out and placed some into Adept of the Burning Spear (plasma), and a few into Subminitions Dispenser. The reason I see 7 points as a waste is due to the ever so frequent use of the Battle Cry. The Battle Cry and TBA pretty much duplicate each other. Since I do use a plasma weapon occasionally, and increase in this skill is very beneficial for me and I did not lose anything (noticeably) for my slug guns.

The biggest things I am hurting for now are red runes that boost the entire skill tree, and the cannon that is mentioned in this thread. I am hoping (fingers crossed) to obtain more Aesir armor since it is already socketed with a red rune, but that armor is about as rare as Epic armor.

I still found it to be useful, it allows you to knockdown several enemies with a single bullet, and do damage to multiple foes. Then combine pierce with ricochet, you got a bullet that can hit 2 or more enemies, knocking them down and stopping them getting close to you. Then think of how many bullets are doing tht due to your increased rate of fire, you got yourself a mean character.

• 2 months later...

So I picked the game back up recently, and started playing my Berserker to get the last few achievements before I figured out that my Human Zerker sucks arse for spider farming.

Went back to my Commando instead and found he was already set up almost exactly like this guide. He really massacres everything fast, but boy do I have Act II using him.

The question I have is: Is there a Red level 50 Slug Cybernetic Cannon out there? I've tried to find a cohesive list of weapons, but haven't see one. I found the Cybernetic level 50 laser, and it just doesn't stack up to a slug cannon (even an Orange 44) with this build.

• 3 months later...

To throw in my 2c, the guide is great, but having run through Ice Forest a fair few times to get through I found a few little tweaks that really helped me go through with my eyes closed.

Slight variation in the skill tree

- only put 8 points in both Range increases. Not really needed as most things die before they get close - and everything rushes you anyway.

- put 3 points in Fenrir, enough to kill Hod.

- 10 points ONLY in Rain of Iron, Ammo Increase, Penetrate and Submunition (see more later) - Minimum in everything else. The +2 to all from the Tier3 charms is enough to put you high enough anyway.

Why Submunition Distributor?

- Toxic Pool plain sucked. Even with 10+2 in Submunition, I'd make it through Ice Forest with it popping maybe 4 or 5 times, usually on the masses of enemies that I can cut to shreds with Egil's .50cal or the alt fire on some crappy laser rifle.

- Metalstorm became a truly destructive force.. seemed to cut enemies to shreds and keep all nearby enemies on their ass (thanks to the battlecry) - a single Metalstorm charm with 10+2 Submunition was far more effective than two Metalstorm charms by themselves.

- A far better choice for the second charm is the one that absorbs damage, combined with Sub 10+2, turned this CyberCommando into a Defender with a ridiculous rate of fire.

Altruist knows best.

- Forget elite, forget red runes, forget aesir, Altruist is cheap, common and effective. The "Defender" rune skips damage anyway and at the rate you kill things, theres plenty of health drops for the times it doesn't help.

- Theres only a handful of runes you need anyway... slug rate, slug/cannon damage, dex, health and armor.. and as orange runes, you'll be maxxed in all attributes in maybe 5 (of 7) pieces anyway. Just shop farm to get them, again - easy.

Edited by DeathConvoy

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a red level 50 slug assault rifle that a Cyber Commando can use? I have a level 50 Orange slug assault rifle now and it's damage is 339. If so does anyone have the name or have the gun and is willing to trade? I have a red level 50 hammer, 1 red < rune, full set of Cyber Commando armor and gun. GT= STREIGHTSHOOTER

• 2 months later...

Great guide, in the process of building a cybernetic slug commando and so far I've completed HoH and World Serpent without dying (starting from a brand new build). Sadly, the amount of polarity and ballistic resistant enemies eventually overwhelmed me when a batch of ballistic resistant flame enemies (is that what we call them?) decided to rush and explode in my face :(

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to add something concerning level 50 equipment and runes for optimizing stats- I've just hit this level myself and have been doing some research in what the best equipment would be... perhaps my insights can prove useful to others, or maybe someone can give me some criticism on my track of thoughts here...

From what I can tell every piece of equipment comes with specific runes already set in them. This makes the Elite armors pretty much useless- the extra bits of defense aren't nearly as important as optimising your offensive powers, this Commando is build around not letting enemies come near to begin with. (if you're curious, you can see which runes they come set with here)

The next option then are the Aesir armor, of which there are three different kinds- Annihilation, The Killing Word and Master and Slave. Each have one rune set into it by default, +15% two-handed damage, +10% Battle Cry Damage and +15% Sentient Duration respectively, and three free slots. This makes the first set pretty much waste slots (Commando shouldn't rely on a 2-handed weapon enough to make the boost matter), and unless you use your Sentient Weapon a lot the runes of the The Killing Word are your best bet.

However, the Battle Cry Damage bonus caps at 25%, so everything over three pieces of this set will again waste valuable slots.

Next best option, for as far as I can tell, would be the Altruist set. It's armor at level 44, so it's defense stats aren't as good as those from the above. The redeeming factor here though, is that they have four free slots, and most of them can be found in set places.

Chestpiece - Obelisk in the last well in Hall of Heroes;

Helm- Found from an obelisk in the first well from the Ice Forest;

Legs- World Serpent, in the well that has two immobile Trolls in the room it's located in;

Gloves - Hellheim, last well of that level, as well as of the entire game;

Shoulders and Boots drop randomly.

Putting all this together, it would be the most beneficial to equip two pieces of the The Killing Word armor and the remaining four from the Altruist set. You could go for three Aesir equips for the extra defence and maxing Battle Cry Damage I suppose, but it seems more beneficial to go for an extra rune slot for other offensive abilities instead of the extra 5% to cap the former.

Since the Altruist Helm has less Armor then the rest of the set, I'd go for the Aesir variation there. Go for the three remaining set pieces from the Altruist set since they're easy to find, and then one of each for the remaining two, whichever you get first.

(Dstrukt, I'm not sure if you still scan this topic for posts since you stated you don't own the game anymore, but perhaps it would be a good idea to include holding onto these pieces of equipment "Levels 41-50" part of your guide.)

Note- I think the additional Battle Cry Damage bonus would be pretty sweet on this build, but if you don't you could always go for an entire Altruist set. Less Armor, but two more rune slots (I don't believe these will be needed though- more on this later).

Dstrukt notes that the Elite Slug Cannon, Egil's Cure for the Coward for Cyborg's, though having set runes in 'em, is better then other weapons due to the considerably higher fire power over other guns. I haven't tested this myself but I'll take his word for it d: As it turns out this gun has pretty decent Runes set in it anyway. More on this in a bit..

As for Melee weapon... I'm not too sure at this moment. I guess there should be something that has four free slots as well as some offensive power (there are a few occasions where a Fierce Attack will be better then endlessly shooting at an enemy in my experience), but I haven't invested too much time into finding a list of weapons yet, so perhaps someone can give some good suggestions on this.

So, for Rune slots, this armor setup should leave you with 22 free ones to fill up as you like, which leads me to this- Dstrukt lists these as priority ones: Slug Fire Rate, Slug Damage, Cannon Damage, Total Armor, Health, Increased Ammo, Cannon Range, Dexterity.

Assuming you use only the red Runes (and you should if you want to maximise as much as possible), you will need:

2x Slug Fire Rate (15% per rune, caps at 30%)

2x Slug Damage (15% per rune, caps at 30%)

2x Cannon Damage (15% per rune, caps at 30%)

9x Total Armor (10% per rune, caps at 90%)

2x Health (25% per rune, caps at 50%)

2x Increased Ammo (25% per rune, caps at 50%)

2x Cannon Range (10% per rune, caps at 20%)

1x Dexterity (50% per rune, caps at 50%)

Exactly 22! However... Egil's Cure for the Coward already has both a +10% Slug Fire Rate and +10% Cannon Damage in it. This means you could either replace two other runes from the above list for two to max these two bonuses, or leave them at 25% by adding only one of their respective runes, and gaining two slots.

Honestly, something that is missing from that list in my opinion is Improved Reload Speed (I've been knocked on my ass countless times during reloading...)- if you add two red runes of those, your reloading will be 40% faster (and capped at that). So my recommendation would be (all red):

1x Slug Fire Rate (25%, 5% under cap)

2x Slug Damage (30%, capped)

1x Cannon Damage (25%, 5% under cap)

2x Improved Reload Speed (40%, capped)

9x Total Armor (90%, capped)

2x Health (50%, capped)

2x Increased Ammo (50%, capped)

2x Cannon Range (20%, capped)

1x Dexterity (50%, capped)

If there is a weapon that has four free slots, I'm thinking something like Mastery: All Skills could be used to fill those up (caps at 4 runes), or perhaps Increades Ruin Damage (caps at 3 runes; 30%) for when you get swarmed, or Battle Cry Efficiency (caps at 2 runes; 50%) for longer duration of Battle Cries. Lots of possibilities if you do end up with four extra slots (:

• 1 year later...

To the above poster. While your thoughts are appreciated one thing should be noted. The +1 to all skills is quite essential for every character in this build as having 2 of those and 2 completed red charms max all skills at 10, pushing them to 14, giving a massive passive bonus, as well as allowing you to put just 1 point into your ruiner and with the +4 to all skills caps that allowing you the max damage with minimum points. It also allows those skills that you sacrificed with 4-6 points to just move to the next part of the tree to cap at 8-10.

Your research while good is flawed. For a cyber commando using this method the aesir pieces are useless all around. Using this build your battle cry does not increase damage and therefore adding runes to increase battle cry damage are useless to this character. However battle cry efficiency increases the length of time that the battle cry remains active at any one time allowing you to use ruiners a bit more frequently for those times you are getting "knocked on your ass".

You are also forgetting that because this build doesn't have you doing much Melee combat and those enemies you would need to melee can be taken out from mid range with the fierce attack, which knocks them down, you can sacrifice a bit of weapon damage for one of the staffs, swords, or hammers that has 4 empty slots giving you a place to put more runes. My typical commando build has every stat dealing with guns and ammunition types capped as well as health, armor, skills, and battle cry (either efficiency or damage depending on if the battle cry is offensive or defensive). If the battle cry does not state that it increases damage then you should use the efficiency rune otherwise you are wasting a slot.

I have built unstoppable (god) armors for every character and class, except the bio engineer which I am currently working on and while I do use Aseir pieces in some builds I don't use them in most. The only aseir piece that is worth anything in this game are the ones for +10% battle cry damage (which is quite useful for the human commando). However the +15% 2 handed damage can be useful in certain builds but I find that the elite weapons combined with other runes is more than efficient to one hit kill any enemy. If built right you should have every single skill important to that character maxed out with one or 2 slots left over to add something that while being beneficial is not necessary to that character.

Edited by DemonRaider1138