Slingshot DLC: Is it worth it?

damtalldylan

To be honest if money is an issue, i would say wait until DoTW. The new missions aren't anything special, apart from new maps, the three can be finished in a half an hour.

The new customisable options are a nice addition but don't really add anything and the new squad member is just like any other heavy, except he has a unique voice.

On a side note, the new missions do introduce tougher enemies and some research projects earlier than normal, so it does kind of change the way you play the overall game. If you are a fan, then yes buy it but like i said above, if money is the main issue, then wait until it's cheaper.

Edited by DEG23

To be honest if money is an issue, i would say wait until DoTW. The new missions aren't anything special, apart from new maps, the three can be finished in a half an hour.

The new customisable options are a nice addition but don't really add anything and the new squad member is just like any other heavy, except he has a unique voice.

On a side note, the new missions do introduce tougher enemies and some research projects earlier than normal, so it does kind of change the way you play the overall game. If you are a fan, then yes buy it but like i said above, if money is the main issue, then wait until it's cheaper.

Are the new maps added to the regular mix in the campaign?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me, it was worth it just for the customization.

Is it essential? No, you're perfectly fine without it but it was (slightly) challenging and I was excited to play it. Was it worth it? $7, you tell me. I spend $7 on a pack of smokes every day and all that's giving me is lung cancer - this, this is worth every penny you spend on it (X-Com: Enemy Unknown, any of it that is).

• 2 months later...
i just recieved the game and was wondering should i download everything before my first playthrough or wait till i have beat it once

:uzi::AR15

If you want all the achievements you will need to download it. Downloading it on your first playthrough does make things much easier due to the fact that it gives you a mission on a battleship and if you get good at the game and use this dlc mission to bypass all future council missions in the harder playthroughs. Without it you have to let ufo's escape after building a stronger ship with the best weapons and then shoot one down as it tries to destroy your satellites. More so the level they give you provided you don't just destroy everything will give you just enough resources from it to cover the research for those particular resources as well as build 2 advance Rocket Launchers for your heavies and with any squad makeup you will never want more than two heavies in your group.

If you do the first mission and get the new guy, then proceed to continually hold off on the next one by declining it, the dlc mission will override all future council missions and not penalize you for turning it down. They will bug you quite frequently about it though so it can get a bit annoying.

Also the dlc character if found to have the "Gift" will be much stronger than other characters. After 6 playthroughs and having my person that has it has been every class with one being a heavy that isn't him I can say that he is the best one. Most characters can take out at most 3/4ths of the major enemies health bar(s). The DLC guy can kill nearly everything in one shot with the move he learns on the final mission. This makes the final level on the hardest playthroughs a walk in the park.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The DLC makes the game easier? Is it worth getting this then before doing the Ironman run?

I've nearly finished my Impossible difficulty run but I have been doing quite a few reloads (although sometimes these were just to correct me not looking WTF I was doing properly :p)

I actually feel it makes it harder for the first few months. The month two mission will put you up against mutons when you're probably not armored and lasered up, though stunning one and getting plasma research bonus that early is awesome. Plus the three council missions don't provide panic reduction like normal ones do. Once you get over the hump and beat it though you'll be in a great place.