Possessed Weapons

symmetric

I'm just finally able to experiment with building some possessed weapons myself. I have a question that may seem stupid, but I am just not sure since I haven't done anything yet.

I keep reading that you can upgrade the weapon 5 times, or there are 5 upgrade levels. Does this mean you can only feed your weapon 5 other items, or are there 5 different times you can feed your weapon "x" number of items.

Again, sorry if it's a stupid question, I just want to know before I start trying this.

Thanks!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just finally able to experiment with building some possessed weapons myself. I have a question that may seem stupid, but I am just not sure since I haven't done anything yet.

I keep reading that you can upgrade the weapon 5 times, or there are 5 upgrade levels. Does this mean you can only feed your weapon 5 other items, or are there 5 different times you can feed your weapon "x" number of items.

Again, sorry if it's a stupid question, I just want to know before I start trying this.

Thanks!

Your weapon has 5 levels to upgrade. Every feeded weapon gives different amount of xp to your possessed weapon. You can see the level bar and the levels on the top right corner while feeding. After each level up you will have to choose a property which depends on the items you gave to it (see 1st post).

I hope this helps!

it will only allow you to have 5 different stats on the weapon though,including the damage so that means with an empty weapon you can add up to 4 new abilities.

every weapon has damage on as standard.

this also needs to be in mind when building one.

basically as long as the weapon has no skulls lit up when you upgrade then you have 5 upgrades to add 4 new abilities and level them up.

Possessed weapons if done right can be absolutely deadly.

With all my armor that I had plus my possessed weapon it pretty much came to this:

154% Critical Chance

280% Critical Damage

27 Wrath on Crit

aswell as every normal hit giving me wrath.

with Teleport Slash completely maxed out

I was doing like 5000/6000 damage about every hit. It was really fun to watch on how easy it was lol...

I found using the :rbbut: forward + :xbut: (just as he finishes the forward evade). The move itself is an attack that throws his scythes forward in a spinning motion. It dealt huuuuuge amounts of damage. I`m pretty sure I used that mostly towards half-way through an onward.

Edited by SweptbackFlame

Probably a dumb question, but can someone explain the differences between health steal, health regen and health per kill?

I'm trying to follow the guide the op listed, but really struggling to find weapons for the higher tiers with all the effects on a single weapon, or at least not the effects listed.

Is there a guide of what the various effects do? I've no idea what several of them do, thorns, arcane etc.

Probably a dumb question, but can someone explain the differences between health steal, health regen and health per kill?

I'm trying to follow the guide the op listed, but really struggling to find weapons for the higher tiers with all the effects on a single weapon, or at least not the effects listed.

Is there a guide of what the various effects do? I've no idea what several of them do, thorns, arcane etc.

Health Steal grants the player a percentage of the damage you inflict with each attack as health. So if you have Health Steal 20% and you deal 100 points of damage with an attack, then you'll receive 20 points of HP per slash. Health Regeneration is the rate at which your health replenishes. Health Per Kill is an effect that gives you health when you kill an enemy. Thorns is an effect that deals damage to enemies when they attack you. Arcane is an effect that enhances the damage you do with magic attacks.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, or need me to explain that in more detail, then please feel free to ask. :)

Wow, super quick reply there! Cheers.

I'm just kinda struggling to find weapons that fit the bill to feed into my possessed weapons, I only seem to be finding them with 2 of the effects listed, rest of the time it's other effects like magic regen or health on crit.

Yeah finding the perfect ingredients for an ultimate weapon can be difficult. It really comes down to perseverance and pure luck. You'll have a good chance of finding what you need on NG+. That's because with the increased level cap there are much better items available for purchase. So don't worry too much on your first playthrough. Just make the best stuff you can when you can. You don't really need to focus on making a set of "god weapons" until you hit max level anyway. That's because in order to make the strongest possible weapons, you'll need to have blank (meaning they come with no effects on them to begin with) level 30 possessed weapons. You really want them to be blank so you can add the 4 effects that you find most useful. I've posted this build advice many times in this and other threads. But it's so good that it demands repeating for new players.

I like to use level 30 possessed scythes with these effects: Health Steal, Health Per Kill, Health on Critical, and Critical Chance. For my secondary I like to use level 30 possessed armblades with these effects: Wrath Steal, Wrath Per Kill, Wrath on Critical, and Critical Chance. Feel free to swap out the Critical Chance enchantment for an elemental effect of your choice or a piercing damage buff if you so desire and already have a high critical chance build. The reason for using this setup is quite simple. It breaks the game. It's basically "god mode." You can use the scythes to inflict damage and keep from ever losing health. Then you can spam powerful abilities like Ghouls, Ravens, and Harvest. Then just use the armblades to do one string of attacks, and you're back to full wrath to repeat the process. It's incredibly overpowered. ;)

I hope that helps you and others out that are new to the game. :) It is worth noting again that in order to upgrade your possessed weapons with the most efficiency possible, you should always feed them weapons with abilities that stack. This means that if your weapon has Health Steal and Health Per Kill feeding it a weapon with Health Steal, Health Per Kill, and Health on Critical is ideal. This will not only buff your current enchantments upon level up, it will also add the new effect to the pool of new available abilities for you to choose.

I have found numerous Possessed weapons, mainly scythes, and that make my games so easy. As soon as I got my first set, I just fed them everything I had spare, and made them so powerful I could never find anything better. Once it came time to upgrade (to another set of Possessed Scythes), the previous set provided an instant level-up.

Basically, they were good but perhaps either overpowered, or I accidentally made them far too powerful. Not complaining, just a thought.

I have a ton of stuff, but have never seen any item with Health Steal! Whats worse is I am guessing you need about 3 of said items to benefit? Does anyone know anywhere in the game to increase chance of getting a health steal item? It's frustrating this random spawn stuff.

I bought my first one from Nathaniel in Lost Light. I found them quite regularly later on with Ostegoth in NG+. It is completely random though. I hope you get lucky and find what you need. :)

Thanks Alucard, I have just tried him and reloaded 11 times and nada lol. Will give up for now and see what time brings.

You're welcome. 11 times and nothing? Wow that's unfortunate. Hopefully they'll show up when you least expect it. I know that I never actively looked for them. I just bought them whenever I happened to find them on a merchant. I basically horded them in my NG+ until I found my level 30 possessed weapons. Then I invested them. This ultimately can have negative effects though. Since some of the stuff I was feeding my max level weapons were a few levels lower than them. So the overall damage output was slightly lower than it could have been if I invested all level 30 materials. It's fine though. They are still incredibly beastly. So I don't mind if they lose a little DPS. When the new level cap is introduced with the DLC, I'll focus on making a new set if I can. :)

• 4 weeks later...
These things are f'ing rare. So rare in fact that after a complete 20+ hour playthrough, I only managed to come across 3 possessed weapons. These weapons don't start out with great stats, and that is where you come in. You have 5 levels of upgrading (you select one weapon bonus per level) and throughout each level your weapon will naturally increase it's weapon damage, but what you can create will undoubtedly be better than anything you can find or buy. Here's a step by step process on how I upgraded my possessed weapons.

Step 1: Find a possessed weapon - these are F'ING RARE, so if you find them, hold on to them!!

Step 2: Decide what bonuses you want to add to the weapon, for instance: Shock damage, Defense, Health, Strength, etc.. For my weapon I chose the following (IN ORDER, VERY IMPORTANT, You'll see why): Health steal, Strength, Shock Damage, Piercing Damage, Critical hit chance.

Step 3: Aquire the items you need to properly upgrade the weapon. DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP. Take each level independantly and make sure that you keep increasing the bonuses you have already aquired throughout the upgrade process. Go to EVERY merchant and buy EVERYTHING you can that benefits your weapon bonuses.

Now that you have your possessed weapon, it's time to start making something that will crush everything. But first.....

SAVE YOUR GAME. Before any/all upgrading you MUST SAVE because if you change the weapon and realize you made a mistake, too bad b/c you can't undo any changes made to the weapon.

Now that the game is saved, I checked my inventory to make sure that I had items for my first level of upgrading that had "Health per hit". I combined the weapons and when the first level of upgrading was done, I selected "Health steal" as the weapon's first bonus.

Now onto the 2nd level of upgrades. I chose to go with weapons that not only had "health steal" attributes, but strength as well. This means that not only was my health per hit attribute naturally growing, but upon completion of my 2nd level of upgrading I decided to chose strength as my 2nd weapon bonus.

For my 3rd upgrade level I wanted to do some elemental damage bonus so I chose items that had a mix between Shock damage, strength, and health per hit. This way not only was my strength and health steal naturally increasing but now after my 3rd level of upgrades were completed I chose to add Shock damage to my weapon for it's 3rd tier.

Onto the 4th upgrade level and I wanted something to help me with heavier armored enemies later on in the game so now I'm picking weapons with a mix of attributes from health steal, strength, shock damage, and now piercing damage. This way all three previous stats are being upgraded naturally and when the 4th level was done I had added piercing damage to the weapon.

For the final 5th level I decided to opt for an increase in critical hit chance. So now like the previous levels before I'm looking for weapons that can provide stat bonuses for my previous 4 tiers, but also include critical hit chance. Now at the end of this 5th stage, all my previous stats before have naturally grown along with the weapon's normal damage, and now I selected to add Crit. hit chance as my weapon's final bonus.

What does this all mean then?

Well for starters every hit I make with my scythes I gain more health than what a health potion can give so I can literally go up against anyone and anything and not worry about dying. With my increased strength and crit. hit chance i'm also dealing out over 3000 damage per swing which means that even bosses become mere delays instead of overwhelming obstacles. Plus with shock damage and piercing damage added and increased it naturally deals out over 50 points of damage from both shock and piercing so add over 100+ per swing of damage, and shock will have the ability to slow enemies down temporarily, just like frost.

After constructing my main weapon I realized that there's no need to ever get another health potion, or any other weapon for that matter. You can also find possessed secondary weapons and when you follow the steps above for those as well, then you can equip both and really unleash Death's power at will.

Hope this helps!! If you have need of any items, hit me up b/c I've got so much stuff in my inventory now I just sell it to increase open slots. lol.

so you can fit more then 4 different stats on one possessed weapon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK I see a lot of replies involving Health Steal! Yes you can find weapons already equipped with this buff but they are very rare. So is Wrath Steal.

The best way to do a possessed weapon is what is listed, start with the attribute you care most about as this one attribute will level the most. Then pick in order your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. each time you level up your weapon you will see the stat increase by a small amount on its own. YOU CAN INCREASE these stats a bit more by feeding the possessed weapon a piece of gear with the stat you already gave it.

For example if I gave a weapon health steal for my 1st stat. Then upgraded it with gear that had health steal it would be a higher stat than if I just fed it random equipment. The difference is not huge but is noticeable.

Now Health Steal and Wrath steal are 2 of the best attributes in the game but are also extremely rare. The best way to find these stats is to randomly generate it.

Now for those of you who are new to the game or didn't take a lot of time to play around with the build weapon function. Vulgrim sells artifacts for 25,000 gold. These artifacts do nothing except level up a possessed weapon very fast. If you take a blank possessed weapon and feed it nothing but these artifacts, when it levels up it will produce a random effect including some not found on any weapon or gear in the game. These include Health steal, wrath steal, Reaper Regen, Reaper Energy on Crit, as well as basics like strength, and elemental effects.

You can save your game and just level up a weapon; if you don't get the desired attribute quit and reload.

By doing this you can easily get the elusive health steal, wrath steal, and reaper regen. All others are easier and less costly to find.

Now while people have said that quest related weapons are good; possessed weapons are better. The stat bonuses from attributes are applied simply by equipping the item. This means that you can build a primary set of scythes to be offensive then build a secondary weapon that can boost strength, defense, arcane, ect.

Now for scythes which will be your main way of dealing damage I suggest Health Steal, Wrath Steal, and then critical damage and critical chance. Now for those of you who take the left skill tree with teleport slash; I would use critical damage and critical chance. For those of you who are right skill tree users should take arcane damage and arcane critical chance.

Now for you secondary weapon I would recommend a more focused skill set for your play style but since this weapon will hardly to never be needed / used I would recommend putting more background stats for your character on this one. Mine was strength, Resistance, health, and defense. This way I am dolling out even more damage, able to take more hits, and not be as affected by those nasty elemental effects.

Now one thing to make note of when deciding whether or not to add a stat such as elemental damage it should be noted that all elemental effect damages are decided by your arcane skill. So if you are a left skill tree user and focus on strength then this elemental effect isn't worth it. Also arcane critical chance and critical damage do not effect most of the left tree powers. Even still, I have found that the extra damage for critical chance and damage make up for the lack of extra damage to one hit.

Now an easy way to get High level percentages is time consuming but well worth it. Build one weapon with your 1st chosen attribute and just level it all the way up with artifacts. Then build a second weapon with your 1st and 2nd chosen attribute then level it all the way up. Keep doing this until you have a weapon with all 4 attributes. Now choose your highest damage scythe and start with your weapon with only one attribute. Each level add the other weapons always choosing your next new attribute until all 4 attributes are on your weapon. So your 4th attribute will have the lowest percentage which is why it is important to have them in an order you care most about to least about. You can keep building a new weapon over and over to increase its stats provided you care to put in the time, money, and patience to keep building it.

My particular level 30 weapons were made from 4 previous scythes and secondary weapons that were built and leveled fully the exact same way so the final stats were boosted the most they could with my final level boosting everything. I did these other 4 throughout the 2 playthroughs I did.

Some would argue that health steal and wrath steal are so broken that they can be prioritized last and by focusing on damage you can make a much stronger weapon but even still my weapons can kill things in 1 - 3 hits anyway.

Now on your 1st playthrough, if you do everything you will find a called Demonheart that will turn any and all white weapons dropped by enemies into possessed weapons. This cab be found halfway through the game but if equipped by playthrough 2 you can find tons of possessed weapons before you are even halfway through the game.

Another way to help with possessed weapons is to use the boatman coins. You can use them one of 2 ways effectively. The 1st is to actually buy possessed weapons from Vulgrim. They cost 50,000 and 20 boatman coins. I suggest only doing this once you hit level 30 as then you can get the best bang for your buck. The second way to use them is once you hit a decent level like level 20 and up you can pay 1000 coins and 1 boatman coin to get a green item. At high levels these usually sell for far more than a 1000 making it a great way to make money to buy the artifacts. At level 30 you can usually make a net profit of 7,000 to 8,000 easily.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion and helps those struggling to find health steal and wrath steal get those attribute bonuses easier.

Here are my stats and attribute levels for my final scythes and secondary weapon of one set that I use:

Scythes: Damage 241-277 with 32% Critical Chance, 32% Critical Damage, and 30% Health and Wrath Steal.

Possessed Glaive: Damage 694 - 754: Defense +174 Strength + 65, Resistance + 175, Health + 240.

Edited by DemonRaider1138