Possessed Weapons

symmetric

These things are f'ing rare. So rare in fact that after a complete 20+ hour playthrough, I only managed to come across 3 possessed weapons. These weapons don't start out with great stats, and that is where you come in. You have 5 levels of upgrading (you select one weapon bonus per level) and throughout each level your weapon will naturally increase it's weapon damage, but what you can create will undoubtedly be better than anything you can find or buy. Here's a step by step process on how I upgraded my possessed weapons.

Step 1: Find a possessed weapon - these are F'ING RARE, so if you find them, hold on to them!!

Step 2: Decide what bonuses you want to add to the weapon, for instance: Shock damage, Defense, Health, Strength, etc.. For my weapon I chose the following (IN ORDER, VERY IMPORTANT, You'll see why): Health steal, Strength, Shock Damage, Piercing Damage, Critical hit chance.

Step 3: Aquire the items you need to properly upgrade the weapon. DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP. Take each level independantly and make sure that you keep increasing the bonuses you have already aquired throughout the upgrade process. Go to EVERY merchant and buy EVERYTHING you can that benefits your weapon bonuses.

Now that you have your possessed weapon, it's time to start making something that will crush everything. But first.....

SAVE YOUR GAME. Before any/all upgrading you MUST SAVE because if you change the weapon and realize you made a mistake, too bad b/c you can't undo any changes made to the weapon.

Now that the game is saved, I checked my inventory to make sure that I had items for my first level of upgrading that had "Health per hit". I combined the weapons and when the first level of upgrading was done, I selected "Health steal" as the weapon's first bonus.

Now onto the 2nd level of upgrades. I chose to go with weapons that not only had "health steal" attributes, but strength as well. This means that not only was my health per hit attribute naturally growing, but upon completion of my 2nd level of upgrading I decided to chose strength as my 2nd weapon bonus.

For my 3rd upgrade level I wanted to do some elemental damage bonus so I chose items that had a mix between Shock damage, strength, and health per hit. This way not only was my strength and health steal naturally increasing but now after my 3rd level of upgrades were completed I chose to add Shock damage to my weapon for it's 3rd tier.

Onto the 4th upgrade level and I wanted something to help me with heavier armored enemies later on in the game so now I'm picking weapons with a mix of attributes from health steal, strength, shock damage, and now piercing damage. This way all three previous stats are being upgraded naturally and when the 4th level was done I had added piercing damage to the weapon.

For the final 5th level I decided to opt for an increase in critical hit chance. So now like the previous levels before I'm looking for weapons that can provide stat bonuses for my previous 4 tiers, but also include critical hit chance. Now at the end of this 5th stage, all my previous stats before have naturally grown along with the weapon's normal damage, and now I selected to add Crit. hit chance as my weapon's final bonus.

What does this all mean then?

Well for starters every hit I make with my scythes I gain more health than what a health potion can give so I can literally go up against anyone and anything and not worry about dying. With my increased strength and crit. hit chance i'm also dealing out over 3000 damage per swing which means that even bosses become mere delays instead of overwhelming obstacles. Plus with shock damage and piercing damage added and increased it naturally deals out over 50 points of damage from both shock and piercing so add over 100+ per swing of damage, and shock will have the ability to slow enemies down temporarily, just like frost.

After constructing my main weapon I realized that there's no need to ever get another health potion, or any other weapon for that matter. You can also find possessed secondary weapons and when you follow the steps above for those as well, then you can equip both and really unleash Death's power at will.

Hope this helps!! If you have need of any items, hit me up b/c I've got so much stuff in my inventory now I just sell it to increase open slots. lol.

Edited by symmetric

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff, I'm sure this will not only help with higher difficulties, but with completing the Crucible as well.

Couple questions though, how hard was it to gather up all these materials and how far into the game where you when you had it all ready to put together? Did you kinda have a set of weapons you were sticking to while you gathered everything together for this weapon?

Great stuff, I'm sure this will not only help with higher difficulties, but with completing the Crucible as well.

Couple questions though, how hard was it to gather up all these materials and how far into the game where you when you had it all ready to put together? Did you kinda have a set of weapons you were sticking to while you gathered everything together for this weapon?

It´s more or less luck to get the right items to feed your weapon. I got my first possessed weapon after 1 hour in the second part of the game (you will know it if you passed the first half^^).

You can also gamble with vulgrim to get the right stats to feed. Just buy an epic box. If the stats are right keep it, if not reload.

I for myself sticked to the big weapons (glaives, maces) due to it´s high charge-damage (press :ybut:). Evade an attack then charge your weapon. It also knocks normal minions back and dazes bigger ones after each 2nd or 3rd charge.

Thanks man, hope the info helps out! I've been combing over every aspect of weapon combinations and that "Health per hit" bonus is ESSENTIAL if you want to make your playthroughs on apocolyptic and nightmare easier on ya.

Finding an item with that attribute would be great, I've got every health trait on an item bar that one.

Yeah the crucible is f'ing nothing w/ weapons like this b/c it doesn't matter how hard the enemy hits, just go toe to toe w/ them and keep swinging away and you'll remain at full health! :)

It wasn't hard to gather the materials once I managed to get my level 20 possessed scythes. I just focused on each level individually so in order to do that for every level, I just fast traveled through ALL the areas and hit up ALL the merchants to gather what I needed.

Don't worry about cash, you'll have plenty. To answer the second part, nope I didn't have any weapons that I felt "tied" to while putting together the possessed weapons. If there weren't items that I needed from the merchants, I just saved, and reloaded and bam! Whole new list of weapons and items.

As far as vulgrim goes, it's hit or miss but he only provides green, blue, and purple items not the orange possessed weapons. so you could quite possibly be reloading a bunch of times if you accidentally end up wasting boatmen coins and 10k in gold.

Thanks for the answers, but I feel like they're just giving me more questions!

So you ended up with a Possessed Scythe that is strong enough to compete in the end-game. I guess my worry is basically that I find one early-ish and then later in the game, after it's upgraded 5 times, I don't find another and end up using a rare or legendary or something else. Do you find them in random loot? Or are they like named weapons that can be found in specific chests/quests etc?

Does it matter in terms of what value the stats have when feeding them to your possessed weapons? For example. would an item with 200% crit damage give you more than an item with 20% crit damage in terms of how much crit damage you can give to the possessed weapon when feeding them?

Also, you said that possessed weapons can be upgraded 5 times and then stated that you had a possessed weapon at level 20. Does this mean that the starting level for possessed weapons can be higher than level 1? I found a fist weapon that was level 1 and possessed so does that mean that I can only get it to level 6?

Does it matter in terms of what value the stats have when feeding them to your possessed weapons? For example. would an item with 200% crit damage give you more than an item with 20% crit damage in terms of how much crit damage you can give to the possessed weapon when feeding them?

Also, you said that possessed weapons can be upgraded 5 times and then stated that you had a possessed weapon at level 20. Does this mean that the starting level for possessed weapons can be higher than level 1? I found a fist weapon that was level 1 and possessed so does that mean that I can only get it to level 6?

As far as value goes I have not noticed a massive difference between items that had, for example, 50 shock damage, and ones that had 25 shock damage. The value increased by a few per level and instead of taking the extra "bonus" to any one stat, i relied on naturally boosting up the bonuses I had, THEN selecting the new stat bonus for the weapon. Its a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, nothing can stop you. Use your level 1 possessed secondary weapon to try it out and see what works best for you, but if you don't have the items to max it out to how you want right away, DON'T FORCE IT. Wait until you can aquire the items you need per level and THEN go forward with the upgrading.

If you have a level 1 possessed item, then it's stats are natrually going to be starting low, but the good thing about that, is that if done right your level 1 weapon could provide you amazing stats that will help carry you through for a LONG time. I still have my level 5 possessed scythes (kinda sentimental since I used them to figure out all this possessed weapon nonsense with them lol) and I used them well passed level 10 because with the bonuses, it didn't matter if I ended up having to swing away for a longer time b/c I was constantly being re-healed, so who cares if the boss fight takes 2 min. instead of 30 secs. lol it gets the job done.

Then I just sold EVERYTHING I had CONSTANTLY b/c there wasn't anything I needed to make things better and when I ended my playthrough I had over 1 mil in gold, an inventory packed full of crap i didn't need, and by the end I had obtained a level 20 possessed scythes, then I went to town.

I'm interested in the Health per Hit ability but all I see now is Health per kill or Health per critical. Just where can I get a weapon with Health per Hit?

Are possessed weapons that rare? I've barely passed Heart of Mountain but I've already got 3 possessed Scythes, 1 possessed Claws and 1 possessed Hammer. I'm even thinking about feeding my old but top-levelled possessed Scythe to a new one.

I'm interested in the Health per Hit ability but all I see now is Health per kill or Health per critical. Just where can I get a weapon with Health per Hit?

Are possessed weapons that rare? I've barely passed Heart of Mountain but I've already got 3 possessed Scythes, 1 possessed Claws and 1 possessed Hammer. I'm even thinking about feeding my old but top-levelled possessed Scythe to a new one.

It's not called Health per hit but Health steal. Yeah the weapons are rare so consider yourself very lucky.

Here's an example to help clarify this even more, hope this helps!

To help clarify a little bit, lets say you have possessed scythe A, and you want to put shock damage on it. You go through your inventory and you have a weapon that does 50 shock damage, and another weapon that has 40 shock damage. If you combine the two items with shock damage into your possessed scythe A, then you WILL NOT get a shock bonus of 90, instead you will get a high STARTING VALUE for the stat which will be lower than 90.

So here's how it will look in this example.

Possessed Scythes A (damage 100-120)

+

Hammer Shock Damage 50

+

Axe Shock Damage 40

=

Possessed Scythes A (damage 125-135)

Shock Damage 29 (new bonus ability)

This is why it's CRITICAL that EVERY level of your upgrades you add items, weapons, etc. that will increase these stats while providing you the bonus you want to add at the end of the upgrade level.

Ok so now we have Possessed Scythes that do Shock Damage 29, and we want to add strength to it. You look in your inventory after going through the vendors and you realize it will take 3 items to level up your possessed scythes. You have 1 claws that provide 45 strength, 1 scythe that has 35 shock damage, and one mace that has 40 shock damage. Now when you combine it in this example this is what you would see.

Shock Damage 29

+

Claws 45 strength

+

Scythe 35 shock damage

+

Mace 40 shock damage

=

Possessed Scythes A (damage 140-160)

Shock damage 33

Strength 21 (new ability)

See how the weapon's natural damage increases, as well as your previous stat for shock damage? This is because you are developing and growing your stats WHILE you also gain new abilities. When you get to the end, you will have grown all your previous stats and then you're left with one bad @$$ weapon.

Just remember that with every level you MUST grow your previous stats as well (VERY easy way to tell is when you combine an item, if you see a green number that means that it will increase that stat you already have on your weapon). What this means is if you have shock damage on your weapon already, any item that will help boost your shock damage will have a GREEN number in the weapon stats before you combine it.

It's not called Health per hit but Health steal. Yeah the weapons are rare so consider yourself very lucky.

Here's an example to help clarify this even more, hope this helps!

To help clarify a little bit, lets say you have possessed scythe A, and you want to put shock damage on it. You go through your inventory and you have a weapon that does 50 shock damage, and another weapon that has 40 shock damage. If you combine the two items with shock damage into your possessed scythe A, then you WILL NOT get a shock bonus of 90, instead you will get a high STARTING VALUE for the stat which will be lower than 90.

So here's how it will look in this example.

Possessed Scythes A (damage 100-120)

+

Hammer Shock Damage 50

+

Axe Shock Damage 40

=

Shock Damage 29 (new bonus ability)

This is why it's CRITICAL that EVERY level of your upgrades you add items, weapons, etc. that will increase these stats while providing you the bonus you want to add at the end of the upgrade level.

Ok so now we have Possessed Scythes that do Shock Damage 29, and we want to add strength to it. You look in your inventory after going through the vendors and you realize it will take 3 items to level up your possessed scythes. You have 1 claws that provide 45 strength, 1 scythe that has 35 shock damage, and one mace that has 40 shock damage. Now when you combine it in this example this is what you would see.

Shock Damage 29

+

Claws 45 strength

+

Scythe 35 shock damage

+

Mace 40 shock damage

=

Possessed Scythes A (damage 140-160)

Shock damage 33

Strength 21 (new ability)

See how the weapon's natural damage increases, as well as your previous stat for shock damage? This is because you are developing and growing your stats WHILE you also gain new abilities. When you get to the end, you will have grown all your previous stats and then you're left with one bad @$$ weapon.

Just remember that with every level you MUST grow your previous stats as well (VERY easy way to tell is when you combine an item, if you see a green number that means that it will increase that stat you already have on your weapon). What this means is if you have shock damage on your weapon already, any item that will help boost your shock damage will have a GREEN number in the weapon stats before you combine it.

Thanks for adding this in-depth explanation. It is really clear now how to do this. I do have one question though. Can you add multiple elemental buffs to the same weapon? For example, if I want Fire and Lightning damage on my scythes, is that possible? Or do they cancel each other out and only count the strongest one?

Found a pair of possessed scythes, I'm level 11 at the moment, and I'm wondering if it's worth to upgrade now and use them. Or can I keep them and upgrade later with higher level equipment?

Thoughts?

Also, regarding the rarity of the Possessed weapons, I just got a 3rd weapon and I only just started playing in the 2nd world, so yeah... Maybe I'm just lucky :D

Edited by KriugerisLT

Found a pair of possessed scythes, I'm level 11 at the moment, and I'm wondering if it's worth to upgrade now and use them. Or can I keep them and upgrade later with higher level equipment?

Thoughts?

Also, regarding the rarity of the Possessed weapons, I just got a 3rd weapon and I only just started playing in the 2nd world, so yeah... Maybe I'm just lucky :D

I've actually found several and I'm not even 10 hours in yet. (Still in the first area.) My problem is that none of the stuff I have is high level enough to warrant investing in it yet. I'm just saving up until I get some good level 20 scythes. Then I'm going to wreck NG+ with my god blades. :D